Reload this Page >

Canadian Banks that will let me open a UK Bank Account

Canadian Banks that will let me open a UK Bank Account

Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:29 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Banks that will let me open a UK Bank Account

After 21 years we have made the decision to return to Scotland in 2020. We would like to open a bank account in advance and realise this might not be easy. We went into our local HSBC to see if we could open an overseas account that would let us access our money in the UK and was told no. Does anyone know a) is this possible and b) if so, how best to do it.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Banks that will let me open a UK Bank Account

Originally Posted by vh3
After 21 years we have made the decision to return to Scotland in 2020. We would like to open a bank account in advance and realise this might not be easy. We went into our local HSBC to see if we could open an overseas account that would let us access our money in the UK and was told no. Does anyone know a) is this possible and b) if so, how best to do it.
Have a look at the link below for details -

https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/ban...ccount-opening

The only thing with HSBC is the lack of branches in Scotland. There is only one branch in Glasgow for example.

Another point - the OP should consider applying for Canadian citizenship before returning to Scotland if not already done so.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 5:58 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Thank you, I will look at this. Yes, we are Canadian Citizens and have been for many years although until the last year we never considered moving back. Now we are looking forward to retiring back home. Miss the humour.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

You may also want to check you UK state pension forecast using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

You can improve your own NI records for UK state pension purposes by paying additional voluntary NI contributions -

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:10 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Just checked with HSBC and they confirm I cannot open an account in Canada and get access to my funds in the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
Just checked with HSBC and they confirm I cannot open an account in Canada and get access to my funds in the UK.
So much for HSBC’s claim that they are “the world’s first global bank”.

So sorry to hear this, both ourselves and our son used HSBC to easily move our move between the USA and UK. I can log onto either account and view the accounts in either country, and from either account move money between them. No idea why they don’t have the same approach in Canada.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 3:41 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

I think therein lies the problem. Canadian bank laws.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 9:34 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/ban...er/features#02

This type of account might be the type of account you are looking for.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 3:51 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Thank you, I will look into this. Barclays International Branch confirmed yesterday that due to Canadian bank laws I cannot open an account with them until I return to the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I have no experience of it, but take a look at Transferwise Borderless bank. That could be a solution until you arrive in Scotland and can produce the necessary ID to open an account there.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
I think therein lies the problem. Canadian bank laws.
Nope. You need to speak to someone more senior at HSBC.

I opened a (premier) account with HSBC in Toronto in about 2007 and subsequently used them to open HSBC accounts in both the UK and France. I can move funds around the three using Global View (in fact I did so earlier today). For a premier customer there are no charges for opening accounts in another country and they even issue a credit card based on your original credit history in the first country.

If you don't qualify for premier status (min deposit $100K) they will still open other accounts but charge a fee.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Barclays wealth management site. If you put 25,000PDS in and can be in Jersey or London or Isle of Man they will help you.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/ho...s/banking.html
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

You could always apply for a Basic Current Account online at any bank (shortly before you move) use the address you will be staying at, and then produce the appropriate ID to activate the account when you arrive.

Based on all the research I've done, it seems like the only feasible way to open an account. Opening one prior to arrival seems practically impossible.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:27 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Thank you for this. A work around nearer the time is the only solution we have come up with as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.