Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Canadian back to UK licence

Canadian back to UK licence

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Warrilowmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian back to UK licence

I have a slightly different circumstances to other Canadian licence questions.

I've just returned back to the UK after two years in BC. In my last 6 months I exchanged my UK licence for a BC licence to complete some travelling that I wanted to do before leaving. As I was in the last 6 months of my working holiday visa, ICBC would only issue me with a Temporary Interim Driving Licence that would have to be renewed every two months.

As I'm back in the UK (where I passed my test, full UK licence), how do I exchange it? I don't have the photocard licence only the paper interim licence to exchange.

I contacted DVLA and they said to get a certificate of entitlement but this is going to have to be requested from Canada by post and then sent to DVLA. Can I just exchange the paper licence or even just order a new UK licence as if I had lost my original? As this is causing so much confusion for something I thought would be a simple swap....

Thanks!

Ben
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian back to UK licence

Can't you just renew online?

What you need
To renew online, you need:
a valid UK passport
to be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
to pay £14 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)
addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
your current driving licence (if you don’t have your licence you must say why in your application)
your National Insurance number (if you know it)
to not be disqualified from driving
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 6:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you handed over your GB driving licence to get your BC licence then just pick Form D1 from the Post Office. Complete it for an exchange of foreign licence but include your GB driving licence number. The DVLA should then just reissue your GB driving licence with your full GB entitlements.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

If you saved a scanned copy of your British licence you can apply online. When you get your new licence the accompanying letter will instruct you to destroy your old licence. At least that is how it worked for us last year.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the paper pink UK license from 25 years ago was wondering if its still valid as it does have an expiry date of 2026?
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
I have the paper pink UK license from 25 years ago was wondering if its still valid as it does have an expiry date of 2026?
Yes it is valid and you can send it in for a new one. You should not strictly drive using it if the address is not correct. The old paper licences normally expire on your 70th birthday.