Canada Pension Plan

Old Sep 8th 2014, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

katie97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada Pension Plan

Hi my husband may be entitled to his Canada Pension Plan due to disability, will we pay tax on this here in the UK.

Apoligies if this has been discussed before but I could not find it
Old Sep 8th 2014, 4:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Pension Plan

Originally Posted by katie97
Hi my husband may be entitled to his Canada Pension Plan due to disability, will we pay tax on this here in the UK.

Are you resident in the UK, or in Canada?

If you are resident in the UK, I think most worldwide income is taxable in the UK. Exceptions are things like Roth IRAs (a type of pension plan in the US that has tax emption in the UK as well as the US).
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie97

Unless you take positive steps with the CRA, there'll be 25% tax withheld at source if you're (or rather he is) a non-resident. But the tax-treaty means you won't lose out anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:34 am
Just Joined

BCCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

When I moved to the UK I filed a departure tax return with the CRA. Over here I then applied for my CPP and receive it without any deductions. I'm considered a non resident. I report that income on my UK return.

I also converted my TFSA to a RIF. When you take the minimum amount there is no withholding tax deduction.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

katie97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies