Can I stay?

Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

jojosmad31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I stay?

I left Calgary on June 25th planning to be away for about 3 months spending time with my family in England and do some travelling around the UK and Ireland. I am a British Citizen living in Calgary for almost 12 years with a permanent residence status.

There has been a family bereavement and I wish to extend my stay indefinitely.

Ideally I would like to give myself a six month trial period to see if I am making the right decision coming home permanently. I honestly do think it is the correct decision.

I am however getting the feeling that it is not going to be as easy as that?

Am I breaking any rules by staying longer? Am I eligible to work here?

I would be staying with my sister so have an address. I do not have proof of savings to support myself hence wanting to get a job.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jo
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I stay?

No, you won't be breaking any rules. As a British citizen, you can change your plans, enter and leave the country whenever it suits you. No forms to fill or other bureaucracy. There may be UK tax implications if you stay for longer than six months, though.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:13 pm
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by robin1234
There may be UK tax implications if you stay for longer than six months, though.
Hello Jo,

It is highly likely you will be entitled to split-year treatment if you become UK resident for tax purposes.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada and you return to the UK "indefinitely", sooner or later you are likely to fall out of compliance with your Residency Obligation. This is a minimum of 730 days in the the previous 5 years on the date that you calculate it. I think if you are making decisions to remain in the UK ensure you are familiar with the rules for maintaining PR status in Canada and how the Residency Obligation is calculated.