Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British Citizenship for my child

British Citizenship for my child

Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

ShanCam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship for my child

My mother was born in the UK in 1964 and left and started living in Jamaica by the time she was 9 and my father was born in 1939 in Jamaica and starting living in England in 1961 and became a naturalized citizen by 1971 and returned to Jamaica in the 80's. They got married to each other November 1991 in Jamaica. My siblings and I all have British Citizenship and we are also dual citizens.

I had a child in 2014 in Jamaica and I am wondering is he eligible for British Citizenship? I am a single parent who was born in 1992 and currently, I resided in Jamaica.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizenship for my child

Your son won't automatically be eligible for British citizenship as he is the second generation born abroad. If you spent at least three consecutive years living in the UK before he was born then you could apply to have him registered as a British citizen. If not then you can obtain a settlement visa for him if you wanted to move to the UK together whilst he is under 18. After spending three years living together in the UK you could then register him as a British citizen.

If neither of those options are possible before he turns 18 but he wanted to move to the UK to live and work then as the law currently stands he would be eligible for an ancestry visa which would lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence) after five years and eligibility for naturalisation as a British citizen a year after that.