Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British Citizens but no State schools???

British Citizens but no State schools???

Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens but no State schools???

Originally Posted by lucyhughes3
Thank you so much for your replies.

It isn't just me that thinks all this is bonkers. I spoke to the home office myself and the guy just laughed and said they had no idea what they were talking about.

I managed to speak to someone senior today at the LEA who was lovely and actually listened to me. Hopefully they will get this sorted soon. She is sending out appeals forms for us .....
Appeals forms? WTF? You have to "appeal" to overturn their almighty SNAFU?..... Your LEA is soooo ****ed up!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

luxcat is an unknown quantity at this point

HI - really glad to hear that you've found someone with a few brain cells working : )

One last thing I would like to add in order to correct a few misconceptions regarding schooling in the UK:

A full time education is compulsory in the UK, but school is not (yes, you read that correctly folks).

If your child is already enrolled in a UK school, however, it is a mandatory requirement that you notify the school in writing if you wish to take your child out of the school, however, if you are a returning expat, you are not legally required to notify any authority that you wish to home school (if that's what you choose to do). You are also not obliged to follow the National Curriculum.

However, many do and in fact choose to register as a 'Home Educator' (doing so also allows you to qualify for lots of Educational discounts and memberships at museums etc in the same way as a schools enjoy).

So, if you're returning to the UK but do not wish to send your child to school, that's fine, as long as you are providing an adequate education. Authorities will only intervene if they have reason to believe you are not providing this.

However if you DO wish your child to go to school, LEAs are required to find a free school for all British Citizens of school age by law. This doesn't' necessarily mean that you're going to get offered your 'ideal' school, but you'll get them into a school nonetheless. However, if you wish to Homeschool, the government is supportive of this too.

If I don't get my kids into a 'suitable' school when we repatriate in a couple of weeks, I will Homeschool until places arise.

You can find out more on the government's website here:

https://www.gov.uk/home-education

and here at the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

<link snipped>

To OP I hope you get everything sorted and the move goes well and of course, it goes without saying good luck for when bubs comes along : )

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 22nd 2014 at 3:28 am. Reason: You may place a link to your blog in your BE signature. Please do not link within a post/thread . Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2014, 11:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Appeals forms? Interesting approach since there's nothing to appeal.

I would be expecting a written apology and two places for your boys at schools of your choosing starting in September!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your replies.

It isn't just me that thinks all this is bonkers. I spoke to the home office myself and the guy just laughed and said they had no idea what they were talking about.

I managed to speak to someone senior today at the LEA who was lovely and actually listened to me. Hopefully they will get this sorted soon. She is sending out appeals forms for us today too as the previous guys i spoke to refused.

Your responses made me cry with relief that i wasn't going crazy (i'm 7 months pregnant and hormonal, ha ha)

Thanks again, the replies gave me some great strength and advice
I hope there's some comeback about all this on the person you were dealing with first, especially as it sounds as though he's cost you a school place for your son.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 4:42 am
Just Joined

lucyhughes3 is an unknown quantity at this point

All 7 schools in our catchment area are now full so hence the need to appeal.

The LEA were not letting me appeal due to this silly Home Office thing.

With me looking at Junior classes we should hopefully get into a good school (they can take more than 30) we will just have to wait until the appeals process in September.

I have made an official complaint to the council and LEA and have had replies already with a manager who is now on the case so we will see what the outcome is.

I have got some legal advice regarding appeals too if we need it.

Thanks again for you replies.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 4:48 am
Just Joined

lucyhughes3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Homeschooling is definitely a route I am willing to go down too
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 7:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The schools are only full due to the LEA wasting time consulting the Home Office when there was clearly no need to. Again I would be seeking a written apology and two local school places.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

With me looking at Junior classes we should hopefully get into a good school (they can take more than 30) we will just have to wait until the appeals process in September.
If they are having to take that large number per class, then they might cease to be a good school!

Have you got any smaller village schools near(ish) to you? All you really need to do is to check the school has a good head teacher and that class numbers are low; the rest will follow.

Or find a school that is not highly rated, but who has just got a new head teacher (pinched from one of the well rated schools). Or one that is failing, but who have received extra money from the government, so that they can afford to employ good teachers (degrees in the subjects they teach).

Last edited by formula; Aug 22nd 2014 at 9:04 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

All 7 schools in our catchment area are now full so hence the need to appeal.

The LEA were not letting me appeal due to this silly Home Office thing.

I have made an official complaint to the council and LEA and have had replies already with a manager who is now on the case so we will see what the outcome is.

I have got some legal advice regarding appeals too if we need it.

Thanks again for you replies.
I'm no expert but I think you have a solid appeal case because the LEA didn't follow the correct admittance process.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

something very wrong there! They must provide education. Maybe one further afield providing transportation.

I came back in June and my son (born overseas and never been in the UK) starts reception in 1 week! Registered him at my local NHS also. No questions asked.
Got his uniform etc

I just wrote to the local school council and they got him a place. We went to visit the teachers and grounds etc.

If your kids are British there should be no questions asked.