Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Kaylarene92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

[QUOTE=BritInParis;12115926]Yes; three years. Other than the extra cost there is no practical disadvantage to doing it this way and would give your son the benefit of British citizenship otherwise than by descent.

Renouncing your US citizenship is a separate decision but would make it extremely difficult for you to ever return to the United States. It's not recommendable under most circumstances.

You don't need to write a letter to accompany Form MN1. Your son will either qualify or not depending on the evidence you present.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but you will need his father's permission to remove your son from the US to the UK even if you are no longer together and you have sole custody.[/QUOTE
Okay. I won't renounce my citizenship. But how likely under these circumstances is it that he will be able to gain citizenship. £936 is a lot of money to just throw away if he is not eligible
Old Nov 28th 2016, 12:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen by decent moving back to the U.K. with child born overseas

Originally Posted by Kaylarene92
Okay. I won't renounce my citizenship. But how likely under these circumstances is it that he will be able to gain citizenship. £936 is a lot of money to just throw away if he is not eligible
Have you spent three consecutive years in the UK before your son was born and can you prove it? If the answer is yes and you put his application together correctly there would ordinarily be no reason why the application wouldn't be successful.

If you're concerned about proving your previous UK residence then the settlement visa would be the way to proceed.

Both options are moot however if you do not obtain permission to remove your son from the US.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Have you spent three consecutive years in the UK before your son was born and can you prove it? If the answer is yes and you put his application together correctly there would ordinarily be no reason why the application wouldn't be successful.

If you're concerned about proving your previous UK residence then the settlement visa would be the way to proceed.

Both options are moot however if you do not obtain permission to remove your son from the US.
No I can prove that, I was even published in the newspaper in Somerset. Spent 4 years in Devon and at leave 6 in somerset. I am able to do all these things and I am relieved, I shall proceed with all the necessary documentation after I get the authorization from the father.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 6:07 am
Just Joined

I really appreciate all the advice you have offered on British citizenship! I do not know how my father even applied for me, we are all assuming by decent but we really don't know for sure.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 6:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I really appreciate all the advice you have offered on British citizenship! I do not know how my father even applied for me, we are all assuming by decent but we really don't know for sure.
As the first generation born overseas you would have acquired British citizenship by descent automatically.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:06 am
Just Joined

As the first generation born overseas you would have acquired British citizenship by descent automatically.
Oh I see! Thank you! Oh and should I strictly put the three years or all of them? I am finding hard to find exact dates?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:10 am

Oh I see! Thank you! Oh and should I strictly put the three years or all of them? I am finding hard to find exact dates?
It's a minimum of three years so if you spent more time in the UK then that's also fine. If you were at school at the time it may prove difficult as you wouldn't have tax documents, tenancy agreements, etc..
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Yes; three years. Other than the extra cost there is no practical disadvantage to doing it this way and would give your son the benefit of British citizenship otherwise than by descent.

Renouncing your US citizenship is a separate decision but would make it extremely difficult for you to ever return to the United States. It's not recommendable under most circumstances.

You don't need to write a letter to accompany Form MN1. Your son will either qualify or not depending on the evidence you present.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but you will need his father's permission to remove your son from the US to the UK even if you are no longer together and you have sole custody.
can I not contact stags where my family rented and get some sort of evidence?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:22 am
Just Joined

It's a minimum of three years so if you spent more time in the UK then that's also fine. If you were at school at the time it may prove difficult as you wouldn't have tax documents, tenancy agreements, etc..
Wouldn't Stags be able to send me documents of proof?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:26 am

can I not contact stags where my family rented and get some sort of evidence?
Wouldn't Stags be able to send me documents of proof?
I would suggest that is something you would need to look into.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:30 am
Just Joined

I would suggest that is something you would need to look into.
Would you suggest getting a representative for my citizenship
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:04 am

Would you suggest getting a representative for my citizenship
An immigration adviser isn't going to be able to do your legwork for you in terms of acquiring the relevant evidence. I still recommend obtaining a settlement visa for your son and registering him in three years' time as you can collect the relevant evidence as you go and give him British citizenship otherwise than by descent.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:17 am
Just Joined

An immigration adviser isn't going to be able to do your legwork for you in terms of acquiring the relevant evidence. I still recommend obtaining a settlement visa for your son and registering him in three years' time as you can collect the relevant evidence as you go and give him British citizenship otherwise than by descent.
Problem is I don't think I'll get the benefits either for 3 years, and I was looking around but I would have to have a place over there already established for him to stay in
Old Nov 28th 2016, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is I don't think I'll get the benefits either for 3 years, and I was looking around but I would have to have a place over there already established for him to stay in
Where is the child's father? We have not heard if he would be also moving to the UK with mother and child. His permission would need to be obtained.

With regards benefits. Are you talking about UK state benefits? You would not automatically get these until such time as you have been interviewed for such.

..... and, yes, if you go the settlement route for your child you would need to show that you have accommodation in place. Also financial resources to support you both.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Where is the child's father? We have not heard if he would be also moving to the UK with mother and child. His permission would need to be obtained.

With regards benefits. Are you talking about UK state benefits? You would not automatically get these until such time as you have been interviewed for such.

..... and, yes, if you go the settlement route for your child you would need to show that you have accommodation in place. Also financial resources to support you both.
The father I divorced, had a lot of mental problems and abuse towards me and jaedon. Yes I figured that so that's why I am going through the other way, I am a 24 year old single mum, my father passed away last December so there is nothing in the USA for me. Never was able to adjust. That is why I am so concerned if he will hopefully get his citizenship with the MN1 form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.