Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

brit citizen/PR of canada want to go to uni

brit citizen/PR of canada want to go to uni

Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

adamquar is an unknown quantity at this point
Post brit citizen/PR of canada want to go to uni

I'm 24 years old and a brtish citizen but i moved to Canada in 1994. Now I'm a PR of Canada. I'm looking to move back and start uni for architectural tech/design. I'm not sure about the school yet (feel free to give suggetions =D) but I want to know if there are benefits that I can apply for . I also want to know what docs I need to open a bank account as all I have is my British passport, birth certificate and Canadian sin card.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brit citizen/PR of canada want to go to uni

Not absolutely certain of this, but I believe that you have to have resided in the UK for 3 years before you can be counted as a home or EU student, regardless of being a British citizen. Otherwise, you will be counted as an international student, and that can be pretty expensive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-students.html

Last edited by YoshiPal2010; Aug 5th 2013 at 10:14 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by adamquar
I'm 24 years old and a brtish citizen but i moved to Canada in 1994. Now I'm a PR of Canada. I'm looking to move back and start uni for architectural tech/design. I'm not sure about the school yet (feel free to give suggetions =D) but I want to know if there are benefits that I can apply for . I also want to know what docs I need to open a bank account as all I have is my British passport, birth certificate and Canadian sin card.

My daughter and son moved with us to USA in 1996. Both are British citizens, and came back to UK in 2007 & 2008 to go to uni.

They got no benefits and we had to pay full international student rates for them while they studied, despite many emails back and forth to the university pleading our case that they are Brits we could not get a break and pay domestic rates.

I believe the only way you can go as a domestic student if you live abroad is if your family had to move from UK for military purposes, other than that I'm afraid it's likely you're shit out of luck, sorry
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick - its you who will be paying out not you who will be getting benefits.

If you can afford to go to University in the UK as an International student and pay the relevant fees then you won't be eligible for benefits.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible to hold down employment and study qualifying university level architecture part time. But only in certain cities Glasgow, Birmingham, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Greenwich (London). Glasgow might be the best bet.

See http://www.architecture.com/
Be sure the course is RIBA validated though or you are wasting your time and money.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And make sure that you get your Canadian citizenship before you move to the UK for several years, or you'll lose your PR status.

Citizenship can take 12-18 months or so, so depending on when you want to go to uni, you'll need to get cracking with it.

HTH, good luck.