Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing valuables... breakage and tax inquiry.

Bringing valuables... breakage and tax inquiry.

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 7:18 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing valuables... breakage and tax inquiry.

Husband has wine, I have china... presently in safe storage but wonder what we would do with them to get them back to UK.

Are these things safe in a container (do they break or get stolen?)... And can anyone please advise if there's any tax on bringing personal items of value into the country?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:05 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing valuables... breakage and tax inquiry.

Your personal goods are not subject to duty, unless you have any items that were purchased within six months of your arrival in the UK. Also, the usual rules apply to alcohol, tobacco, perfume etc, so your wine collection would be subject to tax. We decided not to ship wine, so we tried to consume as much as possible before leaving. We weren't successful, so some lucky friends received a nice stash of lovely red wines and some tasty single malts. Some movers will not ship alcohol.

Our part container arrived last week and all of my china was intact. We only had one small breakage - glass on a picture frame - which is easy to replace.

Good luck with your move.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lf1
Your personal goods are not subject to duty, unless you have any items that were purchased within six months of your arrival in the UK. Also, the usual rules apply to alcohol, tobacco, perfume etc, so your wine collection would be subject to tax. We decided not to ship wine, so we tried to consume as much as possible before leaving. We weren't successful, so some lucky friends received a nice stash of lovely red wines and some tasty single malts. Some movers will not ship alcohol.

Our part container arrived last week and all of my china was intact. We only had one small breakage - glass on a picture frame - which is easy to replace.

Good luck with your move.
Didn't want to hijack the thread with a shipping question so I sent u a pm instead hope u don't mind
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Brigette;10396320]Didn't want to hijack the thread with a shipping question so I sent u a pm instead hope u don't mind[/QUOTE

No Problem. I have just responded to you.
]
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

What about valuables? How do you price them? who has access to your container? Do you tell the truth about worth or fudge so the container company thinks your stuff if worthless?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:29 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maltoo
What about valuables? How do you price them? who has access to your container? Do you tell the truth about worth or fudge so the container company thinks your stuff if worthless?
For insurance purposes we insured our contents for their replacement value. I carried my jewellery and some important documents with me. We were told that once our boxes were packed, they would not be opened again unless UK customs asked to have them opened. I had to ship 7 years worth of tax returns, containing the usual confidential info, as it was not practical to carry them with me. I scanned other documents and shipped the hard copies, that way I had some back up.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

We are packing ourselves since my husband deals with containers and we are knowledgeable on how to pack belongings and then also how to pack a container so as to have as little damage as possible, so Insurance will be a problem as from what I have read here most will not Insure if you pack it yourself. Does that apply to theft also or just damage?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Another opportunity to recommend Letton Percival to insure your persoanl effects, miles cheaper than the shipper's own insurance. We used them and we didn't need to claim so can't vouch for the claims process.

Oh, and I would drink the wine too!