Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bringing money back to the UK

Bringing money back to the UK

Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hangzhouguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing money back to the UK

What's the best way of legally bringing money back to the UK? We've been in China for several years and all the money is from our jobs. The amount would be approximately £40,000. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 1st 2013, 6:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing money back to the UK

If you have a UK bank account, what about a Wire transfer, the bank does charge a small fee.
I've used Xe but only for smaller amounts under £5000 We are supposed to be doing a wire transfer with our house sale money.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 9:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'd use xe.com, or a similar on-line FX/ remitter service, because while the wire fees are relatively small, the difference in FX rates on £40k could easily be £1,000 or more. FWIW I have used xe.com to transfer the proceeds of a house sale, and rather more your £40k.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 1st 2013 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hangzhouguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I have an uncle based in Hong Kong and he said he can transfer money via Hong Kong at the commercial rate. Would that be cheaper than xe.com.

My big concern is tax? How much can you transfer before HMRC wants you to pay tax on earnings made overseas?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangzhouguy
Thanks for the replies. I have an uncle based in Hong Kong and he said he can transfer money via Hong Kong at the commercial rate. Would that be cheaper than xe.com.

My big concern is tax? How much can you transfer before HMRC wants you to pay tax on earnings made overseas?
Tax is paid to HMRC on earnings while resident in the UK, and not (never) on capital transfers. Transfer all you like, no taxes will be due in the UK.

I do not know what your uncle means by "the commercial rate". If it is a rate provided by a bank to its customers, I doubt it would be cheaper than xe.com, but if it is an internal rate, or one used for very large values it could cheaper.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 2nd 2013 at 5:21 pm.