Bournemouth Area

Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bournemouth Area

I was there , somewhere, during 1998 doing accounting things We'd just come back from a few months bit of travel .
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Emiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of light

I'm Bournemouth/Poole bred.
Before coming to Oz I lived in Ashley cross in lower parkstone.
It's gotten very busy over the years with more bars/wine bars.
A nice place to live not too far away from sandbanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I live near Bournemouth...The town centre does get a bit overrun on Friday/Saturday nights with the stag/hen crowds....
It isn't entirely due to the stag and hen parties by any means.....it's right across the board for the (mainly but not exclusively) 18 to 25 age group...of both genders...not only in Bournemouth but in practically every town and city centre right across the UK and not always at weekends either. It's all part of the British scene and has been for at least 10 to 15 years now....fighting and brawling, foul language, vomit and urine - and even worse - in the gutters and shop doorways and all that goes with that sort of thing.

It's a latter day British "thing", unfortunately, and measures to deal with it do not appear to be all that effective, as much of that age group in the UK are under the impression that to have a "good time" they really need to get as blootered and as bladdered as they posssibly can, some even doing so before they even set off from their homes beforehand.

Our police are far too tolerant of their behaviour, but such is the nature of our Constabularies in many respects, unlike those in other lands, and I know what I am talking about as I am legally civily partnered with a copper on the beat who has to bear the brunt of it all on a regular basis.

Bournemouth is certainly not unique in that regard, but at least the area has a reasonably good climate generally speaking for the UK as a whole.....quite mild (except perhaps for the frost hollow at nearby Hurn airport on a clear winter's night) and with higher than average annual sunshine totals, and due to its location the atmosphere is exceptionally relaxing, unlike some other seaside resorts which are much more bracing and more conducive to strenuous physical activity, such as Blackpool in the North and Brighton in the South.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
It isn't entirely due to the stag and hen parties by any means.....it's right across the board for the (mainly but not exclusively) 18 to 25 age group...of both genders...not only in Bournemouth but in practically every town and city centre right across the UK and not always at weekends either. It's all part of the British scene and has been for at least 10 to 15 years now....fighting and brawling, foul language, vomit and urine - and even worse - in the gutters and shop doorways and all that goes with that sort of thing.

It's a latter day British "thing", unfortunately, and measures to deal with it do not appear to be all that effective, as much of that age group in the UK are under the impression that to have a "good time" they really need to get as blootered and as bladdered as they posssibly can, some even doing so before they even set off from their homes beforehand.

Our police are far too tolerant of their behaviour, but such is the nature of our Constabularies in many respects, unlike those in other lands, and I know what I am talking about as I am legally civily partnered with a copper on the beat who has to bear the brunt of it all on a regular basis.

Bournemouth is certainly not unique in that regard, but at least the area has a reasonably good climate generally speaking for the UK as a whole.....quite mild (except perhaps for the frost hollow at nearby Hurn airport on a clear winter's night) and with higher than average annual sunshine totals, and due to its location the atmosphere is exceptionally relaxing, unlike some other seaside resorts which are much more bracing and more conducive to strenuous physical activity, such as Blackpool in the North and Brighton in the South.
Hopefully there's enough heavy rainfall to wash all the vomit and urine away . I never thought heavy rainfall might just be a blessing.

You certainly make a return to UK urban social life sound very appetising though on the brief occasions that I've been in cities/towns after nightfall, and the morning following such revelry, I've seen some evidence of this myself so tend to get my pub "action" dealt with fairly early in the evening be it in Glasgow, Canterbury, Faversham or Tunbridge Wells where it can get scary later on for alcohol-related reasons.

Other posters have spoken of these latter day UK phenomena which have caused a great deal of angst and even disruption to otherwise peaceful lives.

Interestingly, the NHS Information Centre seems to be very worried about the number of primary and secondary hospital admissions for obesity for which Bournemouth & Poole actually do very well but it seems they should be equally worried about admissions for alcoholic poisoning, sadly particularly amongst young women.

I'm hoping that to the extent that the balance of older retired folks is higher in places such as Bournemouth/Christchurch, this tones down the anti-social elements somewhat in spite of the party atmosphere for the remaining 18 to 25 age group et al.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 11:16 pm
`

The same happens here in New Zealand . Actually the same happens here in Nelson, so this behaviour isn't confined to Bmth and Poole, nor even to the UK only.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
The same happens here in New Zealand . Actually the same happens here in Nelson, so this behaviour isn't confined to Bmth and Poole, nor even to the UK only.
Unless we have some ulterior motive for returning to the UK in that, for example, we absolutely have to tap into the NHS or benefits, or we find we simply cannot do without or must in someway help family and/or friends we will all already be carefully doing comparisons of the existing quality of life where we are with what we perceive to be the case in our areas of choice/short-list in the UK or other countries which might do it for us.

I personally have always found it unhelpful if posters are saying it's just the same where they are now, as we (the rest) are either not intending to head for Australia, Queensland, New Zealand or wherever, or we already know well what it is like where we are now and the chances are it actually isn't subject to the same level of pretty widespread particularly urban social decline as the UK has been subjected to - fully recognised as being way beyond anywhere else in Europe at the very least, for reasons which are subject to debate - in the last couple of decades or so.

There's terrible economic decline and deprivation here in the (basically) Third World in the Caribbean and it spills over into the level of crime, particularly serious crime, but it still overall does not compare with what those in the UK are witnessing and declaring so, if they are honest, in terms of gradual general youth social disorder and decline. This is very hard for some out there to come to terms with, some because of their own particular circumstances, or because for once they now absolutely must be able to enjoy a peaceful life in their retirement years in the UK.

It is still possible to buy your way out of being a witness to this decay if you are very careful where you choose to settle, always assuming that you have the flexibility - in whatever form this takes - at your disposal. I guess a key item is to also know where not to look because I have shortlisted places that I thought would be workable only to have them trashed on here by several for their unforeseen significant negative features by those in the know whose judgement I valued.

When the various Uk newspapers trundle out the constant mantra of articles regarding the most desirable places for retirees to settle they always, obviously, point to weather, crime, health, cost of living/housing and general lifestyle quality and Bournemouth, Poole, Christchurch, Wimborne and their environs are fortunately usually well up there as good areas to settle.

The search could be embellished by those who have an inside-track, who can point to the less desirable areas.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 24th 2013 at 12:51 pm. Reason: The search could be......
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:46 pm
`

Um. I found that a bit hard to follow Pistolpete but there again I've only had 2 cups of tea this morning.

All of Bournemouth & Poole is not a seething pit of 18-25yr olds , all of whom are someones kids, behaving badly.

All of Nelson and Bays is not a seething pit of 18-25yr olds , all of whom are someones kids, behaving badly.

Not all 18-25yrs behave badly .

Neither place is a warzone and it should be perfectly possible to live a peaceable life in either place. In fact, several families and young people, that I know personally ,do just that in the Bmth and Poole area & in other areas of the UK also. Wolverhampton & Crewe for instance.

As you will see, I've made comment previously on certain areas of Bmth. This time I was commenting on the matter of social disorder from young people in the UK. The comment was to say that this could be found anywhere . Perhaps better to have written "This is 2013. It is something you may have to live with but distance yourself from:" ---- unless it involves your kids or grandkids perhaps.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I was a teenager in Weymouth in the 80's, early nineties -
and went to Bournemouth frequently on weekends.
I have to say that the obnoxious binge drinking is nothing new. I remember plenty of plenty of out of control, drunks roaming the streets. Bournemouth actually was a tad classier than Weymouth at the time maybe in part because alcohol was not the drug of choice in the club scene at that time.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:09 am
`

So. Are you still doing this out of interest or are you puking up in the streets as I type.

...don't let my green avatar lead you on here......
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

So. Are you still doing this out of interest or are you puking up in the streets as I type.

Is who doing this? We aren't put off by the issue we have been discussing here but we will continue to be fussy in checking and double-checking the places which are on our short-list and we won't have committed without actually spending time properly casing the joints.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:25 pm
`

I was making light hearted conversation with Montfan72. It's allowed. We have both lived in the area afterall & been part of the 'club scene' at some point in our lives. Today, it is our friends offspring that are part of the club scene there. Where did the years go?

Yup ! Have a good recce around the entire area. There are many places to choose from.

What's your criteria?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was making light hearted conversation with Montfan72. It's allowed. We have both lived in the area afterall & been part of the 'club scene' at some point in our lives. Today, it is our friends offspring that are part of the club scene there. Where did the years go?

Yup ! Have a good recce around the entire area. There are many places to choose from.

What's your criteria?
Sorry to butt in then!

Our search in the Uk has now been made somewhat easier by the fact that we need to focus on good colleges that do BTEC level 3 Extended Diplomas in Sports with top sports facilities with further possibilities for Foundation Degrees in similar plus access to sailing at the national/international level. This really means the south-west and the only locations really in the frame are Truro/Penwith, Paignton (South Devon College), Exeter, Weymouth and Bournemouth/Poole.

At the same time, I have had enough of the virtually non-existent social life and lack of things to do other than drinking rum here in the Caribbean, plus constant upkeep issues regarding property and land. That said, it is going to be extremely hard to extricate ourselves from this area because property is simply not moving these days so we have to think in terms of maybe spending some time here and by far the cheapest access to St Lucia is from Paris-Orly and this does work well for us if we spend a bit of vacation time in France. France access also works well from Poole and Weymouth via the fast cat ferries in season.

It can't just be about our kid though so the other criteria aside from sailing clubs close by are:

Low general crime and no known racial intolerance issues
No real need to own a car
Good supply of furnished property to rent - initially
Semi-urban/green leafy
Good range of food shops and markets, especially fish
Mild and better-than-average rainfall, no flooding issues
Good land connections to places of interest by rail and bus
Airport access
Plenty of interesting open country around
A chance to make friends and socialize
Access to good walks
Some culture on our doorstep???
Plentiful variety of good friendly pubs and restaurants and a some sort of cafe culture

If it wasn't for the college etc. requirements, I think that the order of precedence of my short-list would be:

Topsham or that area near Exeter IF we can in fact find a place
Poole or Christchurch/Mudeford over Bournemouth per se
Weymouth - south of the marina but not Portland
Paignton - southwest of the town and Stoke Gabriel
Truro - somewhere like Perranwell or Devoran, even Falmouth area

Exeter area and Bournemouth area are clear winners on transport connections overall with their own airports and Southampton Airport just over 1/2 an hour away from Bournemouth. Both (Exeter and Southampton) are hubs for FlyBe which is however not in the best shape right now and cutting services but they (the airports) also do charters.

We have also considered Bath and Cirencester which are both class acts but we would rather be closer to the sea, and a bit more down-market (it's a tough one) in general in spite of their excellent colleges.

We will have our work cut out to make the final decision when we find some places we like.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 26th 2013 at 12:34 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, my stumbling around, pub crawling days are over. But I'll be nipping over to Weymouth for a bit this summer, there may be life in the old dog yet.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:18 pm
`

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Sorry to butt in then!

Hey. No worries. I'm a Bournemouth girl after all. Well, maybe the girl bit is all in my mind these days.

I'll have a bit of a read later on .

Originally Posted by Montfan
Sadly, my stumbling around, pub crawling days are over. But I'll be nipping over to Weymouth for a bit this summer, there may be life in the old dog yet
I'd join you if I could. In lieu of this , I suggest a cyber pub crawl around the area.
Square and Compass. Good for a shandy and pasty after a good long walk on the Purbecks.

What was the name of the pub by Ringstead Bay or Osmington Mills? I once nearly got swept away overnight whilst fishing from the beach.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey. No worries. I'm a Bournemouth girl after all. Well, maybe the girl bit is all in my mind these days.

I'll have a bit of a read later on .

I'd join you if I could. In lieu of this , I suggest a cyber pub crawl around the area.
Square and Compass. Good for a shandy and pasty after a good long walk on the Purbecks.

What was the name of the pub by Ringstead Bay or Osmington Mills? I once nearly got swept away overnight whilst fishing from the beach.
Not sure if I've been to the Square and Compass but I'd be surprised if I hadn't as one of my best friends from college lived in lovely Swanage.

The pub on the cliffs in Osmington is called the Smugglers, it's a lovely old place isn't it? Me and the hubby stayed there a few nights pre kids and walked all over the coastal path, I really miss those walks...