Bournemouth Area

Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

lynchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bournemouth Area

Hello,

I'm originally from Surrey, but have been considering moving to Bournemouth to be by the coast.. I was hoping I could get some help regarding possible areas that would be suitable for a single guy of 34.

I would love to be near somewhere that is fairly lively and has a good social scene, but is not over run with stag or hen parties every weekend.. lol.. Also, being near somewhere that is great for watersports would be a bonus.

Would Poole be my best option?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 2:40 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bournemouth Area

Originally Posted by lynchy
Hello,

I'm originally from Surrey, but have been considering moving to Bournemouth to be by the coast.. I was hoping I could get some help regarding possible areas that would be suitable for a single guy of 34.

I would love to be near somewhere that is fairly lively and has a good social scene, but is not over run with stag or hen parties every weekend.. lol.. Also, being near somewhere that is great for watersports would be a bonus.

Would Poole be my best option?
Hi Lynchy

I lived in Bournemouth for 5 years in total. I would say avoid Boscombe! It's full of safe houses for ex drug addicts and therefore has it's fair share of problems. I used to live in Boscombe as a student and we got broken into twice. I would go for neighbouring Southborne or Tuckton. Both have lovely beaches, a few good bars and restaurants etc and clear of hen/stag parties.

There are some nice areas in Poole too. It depends how close you want to be to the sea. Places like Parkstone and Oakdale are really nice but not right on the beach (about a 20 min drive). My OH's parents live in Wimborne, which is also nice but maybe lacks the social vibe you are after, although it is getting better and is much less sleepy than it used to be. More pubs and bars are opening up but there are no nightclub type places. If you are not short of a bob or two then try Sandbanks!

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately I'm short of a few bob for Sandbanks... Damn lol

I've heard a few people mention something similar about Boscombe, so that's off the list. I was in Bournemouth a few ago to visit, and to be honest I was a little disappointed with the town centre, especially at night. Although I like a night out, I prefer a more casual and relaxed scene with live music.

I will check out Southborne and Tuckton, which both sound lovely. I would also be looking to be a part of a house share, so do you think either area would be suitable?
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I live near Bournemouth and would echo what Pom_Chch says about Boscombe, not a nice area at all. The town centre does get a bit overrun on Friday/Saturday nights with the stag/hen crowds, but there are lots of other areas which have pubs and stuff.

Poole is nice and does have lots of nice areas - I quite like the old town area, my niece rented a flat just off the quay for a while and that was nice.

Sandbanks is great for wind surfing and Canford Cliffs is near by and has plenty of wine bars and bistro type restaurants.

Wimborne is not a bad option - the pubs there seem to cover all tastes - traditional through to more modern wine bar style places. Some nice new restaurants have opened up recently too. Not right on the coast though.

I would also take a look at Westbourne - more or less on the boundary between Poole & Bournemouth - again loads of pubs/bars/cafes etc. I've got a few friends who live there and they always seem to be out.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynchy
Unfortunately I'm short of a few bob for Sandbanks... Damn lol

I've heard a few people mention something similar about Boscombe, so that's off the list. I was in Bournemouth a few ago to visit, and to be honest I was a little disappointed with the town centre, especially at night. Although I like a night out, I prefer a more casual and relaxed scene with live music.

I will check out Southborne and Tuckton, which both sound lovely. I would also be looking to be a part of a house share, so do you think either area would be suitable?
I think you would probable be good with a house share in lots of areas, although I should imagine some of the more studenty areas like Charminster might have more choice of shared accommodation.

Plenty of live music around - The Lighthouse in Poole, The BIC, The O2 Academy in Boscombe (don't live there, but it's ok to go to gigs there...) Mr Kyps in Parkstone (a venue primarily for tribute bands), Some of the pubs in the Quay in Poole have live music as do some of the pubs in Wimborne, I think.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rebs - Great information there

I think Wimborne is a little too far out for me but Southbourne, Westbourne, Poole and Tuckton all sound great

Thanks to you both for the help
Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:07 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's a shame about Bournemouth town centre now. It has gotten worse over the past few years.

Christchurch is also a good area. It has a good social vibe - bars and pubs rather than hens/stags spilling out of nightclubs. It's also close to the sea.

Agree with the Westbourne idea, my favourite curry house is there! It has a social vibe but without being to OTT like Bournemouth. It's a shame about Boscombe too, one of my favourite bars is on the sea front there. It does have the potential to be really nice but just too many unsavoury characters... and Somalian drug gangs!

As for house sharing you could try www.spareroom.co.uk. I've used this three tims to find a place and had no problems. I would say house sharing is quite common in Bournemouth/Poole as rent for small flats and buying properties is expensive.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

I live near Bournemouth too and would echo the sentiments of the others about Boscombe, Pokesdown areas, very dodgy, I drove back from the beach the other day and saw a cordoned off area in Boscombe when a guy had just been murdered! Westbourne and Southbourne are nice areas as are Branksome and Canford Cliffs but these are more expensive but walking distance to the beach. I used to rent in Lilliput, just around the bay from Sandbanks but there are no bars nearby. You could try Baiter Park in Poole, there are a lot of different style houses and flats there and it's right on the water by the Quay, walking distance within 5 mins and there are pubs there and it's near the Old Town. Bournemouth is more night clubs than live music these days, I heard that it's the new club capital of the south?! If you look at Poole avoid Hamworthy/Turlin Moor areas, well rough! Wimborne is nice but not near the beach, I just recently tried to rent there but they are few and far between for what I wanted, but that was a family house not a shared house so you might have better luck. Good luck with your move, it is lovely down here... says someone who has just sold up to move to Canada! lol
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm a Bournemouth born and bred girl. Lived there for decades.

My pick for you would be Westbourne . From what you write , the area would suit you well.

As others have said, it is a shame about some of the areas in and around Bournemouth these days. Boscombe and Charminster would be a no-no.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm a Bournemouth born and bred girl. Lived there for decades.

My pick for you would be Westbourne . From what you write , the area would suit you well.

As others have said, it is a shame about some of the areas in and around Bournemouth these days. Boscombe and Charminster would be a no-no.
Are you still living here BEVS? I've been here 15 years, currently out in Verwood (it's cheaper! lol)
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:20 pm
`

Nooo. I've been marooned in New Zealand for 9 years now.
Been back to visit as have family and friends there. Lived in Southbourne, within walking distance of the sea, Boscombe and Tuckton, for a good 10 years before leaving.

It's a huge shame about Boscombe really because it is actually a good location ref access to the sea, gardens & the like. It should be an extension of a seaside holiday resort filled with boutique, quirky shops but it isn't. It's a dump these days TBH.

I still love the entire area though. It's in my blood and soul for always.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 4:36 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in both areas for 30 yrs before moving to Canada 3 yrs ago, we lived in southbourne, ensbury park and then Bransgore nr Christchurch as the last place, I really liked xchurch has everything, I used to work at Lv in westbourne area too but can be pricey, my oh worked in Verwood, so know that area too and my dad still lives in sturminster Marshall just outside wimborne, places to avoid already been pointed out, some great beaches etc from southbourne down to xchurch and hengistbury head area, and only 10 mins ish drive from Bournemouth also good access to the train and buses etc for town centre
Old Oct 21st 2012, 11:29 pm
`

LV? Liverpool Victoria?
I did a one year stint there around '98. One year was more than enough for me.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Yes Liverpool Victoria, the Main offices are in the middle of the road at County Gates. My neighbours both work there and at the moment I'm enjoying their cheap car insurance.... Until I move over next year! Lol
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:43 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
LV? Liverpool Victoria?
I did a one year stint there around '98. One year was more than enough for me.
ooh i was in claims from 1997 to 2012!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.