Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Born in UK, lived most of life in U.S. , retire in U.K.

Born in UK, lived most of life in U.S. , retire in U.K.

Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

tbourne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Born in UK, lived most of life in U.S. , retire in U.K.

Hello,
I'm trying to understand the process for moving back to the U.K. as I approach retirement. I was born in London, but my parents emigrated to the U.S. when I was 5. I became a U.S. citizen when I was 12. I've lived most of my life since then in the U.S., but would like to retire back in the U.K.
I've already begun work on getting my UK passport, but would also like to get started with National Insurance so I will have health and state pension in the UK. Has anyone else gone through this process?
I have an old NHS number, but I think that's different from the National Insurance number. I'd also like to start contributing towards the National Insurance.
Thanks for any info,
Mark
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in UK, lived most of life in U.S. , retire in U.K.

You get "health coverage" from the NHS automatically as a resident of the UK irrespective of any NI contributions.

You will also get your US social security irrespective of where you live, but given that the UK state pension is modest compared to US SS even if you have contributed fully (now 35 years of NI contributions), if you are close to retirement I doubt you will be able to contribute enough to NI to get more than a tiny pension. ...... the maximum based on 35+ years of contributions is £150ish/wk IIRC. If you are five years away from retirement the most you would likely be able to contribute would be the five "future years" plus six years of arrears. ..... So, thinking about it, almost one third of the maximum, which isn't to be sniffed at.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 30th 2015 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

For National Insurance, you don't have three years of previous contributions to NI, so can only pay Class 3 contributions, not Class 2. For Class 3, you need to have lived in the UK for a continuous three-year period at any time. I don't see anything that states that has to be as an adult, but HMRC will tell you if it's otherwise when you apply to pay.

In addition, for the new basic state pension that starts in April 2016, you will need to have made at least ten years of contributions to qualify for any pension. The ability to pay up to six years of catch-up contributions may help you achieve that.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../NI38_CF83.pdf

Is it worthwhile? Probably, but it's nowhere near as clear-cut a decision with Class 3, compared to Class 2.

The NHS is available to all UK residents.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbourne
Hello,
I'm trying to understand the process for moving back to the U.K. as I approach retirement. I was born in London, but my parents emigrated to the U.S. when I was 5. I became a U.S. citizen when I was 12. I've lived most of my life since then in the U.S., but would like to retire back in the U.K.
I've already begun work on getting my UK passport, but would also like to get started with National Insurance so I will have health and state pension in the UK. Has anyone else gone through this process?
I have an old NHS number, but I think that's different from the National Insurance number. I'd also like to start contributing towards the National Insurance.
Thanks for any info,
Mark
Welcome to BE Mark.

I have moved your thread over to our UK forum. Many of the people who hang out in here have been in a similar situation. I'm sure they will do their best to answer these and any other questions you have about moving to the UK.

Good luck.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
UK residents can use the NHS, but might have to pay. Under present rules, the NHS is available for free to all UK citizens if they reside in the UK or EEA.

Last edited by formula; Jun 30th 2015 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, on the basis that you have never worked in the UK, then likely you will not have a National Insurance number?

Have you at any time after the age of 5, lived or worked in the UK?

If not, then you need to be resident in the UK in order to apply for a National Insurance number.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insuranc...surance-number

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

You would then need to work or be self employed to accumulate enough national insurance contributions (NIC's) to qualify for a basis state pension.

Then, on the basis that you reach state pension age after 2016 will need minimum 3-years of NIC's to collect the basic small 9% or 10% of the state pension when you qualify for it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-timetable.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/overview

Other related items

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...hs-healthcare/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

Last edited by not2old; Jun 30th 2015 at 8:05 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, on the basis that you have never worked in the UK, then likely you will not have a National Insurance number?

Have you at any time after the age of 5, lived or worked in the UK?

If not, then you need to be resident in the UK in order to apply for a National Insurance number. You would then, need to work or be self employed to accumulate enough national insurance contributions (NIC's). Then, on the basis that you reach state pension age after 2016 will need 3-years of NIC's to collect the basic small 9% or 10% of the state pension when you qualify for it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-timetable.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/overview

Other related items

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...hs-healthcare/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

My daughter has a NI # and has never worked in the UK.

She was 11 when we moved from the UK. When she was 16...could have been 18...her NI # was sent to our U.S. address. It's very similar to a credit card and has her NI # written across the middle.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:14 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter has a NI # and has never worked in the UK.

She was 11 when we moved from the UK. When she was 16...could have been 18...her NI # was sent to our U.S. address. It's very similar to a credit card and has her NI # written across the middle.
not questioning it, I just learned something new on BE.

I wonder though how that was possible? Maybe HMRC knew you were US resident or had an address in the UK?

Maybe for the OP, under the old rules when folks had to apply

From the NI links above

If you’re moving to the UK you can only apply once you’re here. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

If you turned 16 and didn’t get a number

You should be sent a National Insurance number automatically just before your 16th birthday if you live in the UK.

Call the National Insurance number helpline if you didn’t get one and you’re under 20.

If you’re over 20 and haven’t been sent one, call the Jobcentre Plus application line.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

When my son was 16 and briefly considering living in the UK, he had to apply for his number at the Social Security office. This was in 2003. He had only left the UK when he was 12. If he had still been living in Scotland, it would have automatically come through the post when he was 16.

Your NI is assigned when you are born and registered so it doesn't take long. Think they actually gave him his number at the office if I remember rightly and then a card followed. It just that, unlike the US, children don't need it it until they are actually eligible to work and pay taxes, unlike the US where your SSN is needed for everything!

Neither of my daughters have their NI number despite the fact my eldest was nearly 15 when we left.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by not2old
not questioning it, I just learned something new on BE.

I wonder though how that was possible? Maybe HMRC knew you were US resident or had an address in the UK?

Maybe for the OP, under the old rules when folks had to apply

From the NI links above

If you’re moving to the UK you can only apply once you’re here. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

If you turned 16 and didn’t get a number

You should be sent a National Insurance number automatically just before your 16th birthday if you live in the UK.

Call the National Insurance number helpline if you didn’t get one and you’re under 20.

If you’re over 20 and haven’t been sent one, call the Jobcentre Plus application line.
They had our U.S. address. This was because for several years after we moved Child Benefit payments were still being paid into our UK bank account. During this time I wrote to them several times asking them to cease payments...but heard nothing. At last I received a letter saying we owed £xxxx amount for the Child Benefit payments received but not entitled to. Fortunately the payments had been paid into a separate dormant account...as I knew the money wasn't ours nothing had not been withdrawn. They tried to charge me interest but I pointed out that it was their mistake not mine and that I could prove I had not used the money during this time.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They had our U.S. address. This was because for several years after we moved Child Benefit payments were still being paid into our UK bank account. During this time I wrote to them several times asking them to cease payments...but heard nothing. At last I received a letter saying we owed £xxxx amount for the Child Benefit payments received but not entitled to. Fortunately the payments had been paid into a separate dormant account...as I knew the money wasn't ours nothing had not been withdrawn. They tried to charge me interest but I pointed out that it was their mistake not mine and that I could prove I had not used the money during this time.
I think that may be the reason. Unusual, but it explains it.

For the OP and the majority of folks, as per the last post of mine taken from HMRC links

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Nat Ins No (NINO) comes to those who get Child Benefit automatically. Others have to apply for it.

If OP has a US Social Security Pension from Uncle Sam he will get it in UK. He will likely have no entitlement to a UK State Retirement Pension, which is based on National insurance Contributions.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Getting your British passport is the crucial first step. Everything else will flow from there as it will be required to prove your right to reside in the UK not only at the border but also when you register to vote, register with a GP, apply for any benefits or rent a property.

Your old NHS number will have changed but when you re-register with a GP after moving to the UK then they should be able to find you on the system using your old number and/or your biographical details.

If you were never issued with a NINO then you can apply for one when you return. More information can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Jul 1st 2015, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
It just that, unlike the US, children don't need it it until they are actually eligible to work and pay taxes, unlike the US where your SSN is needed for everything!
Until 1986, US social security numbers typically were not applied for until a teenager started working. Then in 1986 the IRS decided to require social security numbers for dependents on tax returns so they could cross check to determine if more than one person was claiming the same dependent.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 8:51 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
For National Insurance, you don't have three years of previous contributions to NI, so can only pay Class 3 contributions, not Class 2. For Class 3, you need to have lived in the UK for a continuous three-year period at any time. I don't see anything that states that has to be as an adult, but HMRC will tell you if it's otherwise when you apply to pay.

In addition, for the new basic state pension that starts in April 2016, you will need to have made at least ten years of contributions to qualify for any pension. The ability to pay up to six years of catch-up contributions may help you achieve that.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../NI38_CF83.pdf

Is it worthwhile? Probably, but it's nowhere near as clear-cut a decision with Class 3, compared to Class 2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.