Blue Badge Parking

Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

kskillma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blue Badge Parking

Oh - I assumed it would have to be an official letter, like bank or DWP or something.. brilliant, I'll do that. Many thanks
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kskillma
Oh - I assumed it would have to be an official letter, like bank or DWP or something.. brilliant, I'll do that. Many thanks
A bank works too but in my recent experience the GP practice will be flexible.

YMMV.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 3:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
The Blue Badge is very handy (not that I want to gloat, or anything). We've had to take mum to outpatients appointments several times in the last couple of weeks. I reckon we've saved the £10 fee twice over in exemption from parking fees, as well as the convenience of being able to park closer to the clinic entrance.
The Blue Badge thing has become a bit less relevant since I posted about it earlier today. The old fellow took a tumble down a short flight of stairs this morning and is now in hospital.

We'll likely return from France in a couple of days but luckily my sister in law (who is a semi-retired nurse) is with him.

It's as bad as having kids.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

kskillma is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear - sorry to hear that! I was only saying the other day, your kids grow up and fly the nest and next minute you're responsible for your parents! I'm bringing my maiden aunt home from NZ after 45 years as she is lonely and scared. My mum (who is her twin) will be widowed later this year and also wants to return 'home' from Northampton. My challenge is to get them housed together but near me.... wish me luck lol!!!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:10 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by kskillma
Oh dear - sorry to hear that! I was only saying the other day, your kids grow up and fly the nest and next minute you're responsible for your parents! I'm bringing my maiden aunt home from NZ after 45 years as she is lonely and scared. My mum (who is her twin) will be widowed later this year and also wants to return 'home' from Northampton. My challenge is to get them housed together but near me.... wish me luck lol!!!
I wish you luck.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dundee15
Here in Scotland you have to be in receipt of certain disability benefits to qualify for a Blue Badge, or you need a certificate from your GP confirming you meet the criteria to get the badge. Sadly you can not get one just because you are old!!!
The form online on gov.uk does not exclude Scottish applicants.

On my mother's application I ticked a box: 'I am over the age of two and have a permanent and substantial disability which means that I have very considerable difficulty in walking.'

The next page of the online application said:
You may be eligible for a Blue Badge, but your eligibility will need to be assessed by your local authority. This may mean that they ask you to attend a mobility assessment.
I sent off the form with the identification documents and fee and received the Blue Badge in the post, without any further assessment. Therefore I can only assume that my mother's great age was a factor in the LA's decision not to call her in for a mobility assessment.

Also, there is nothing at all on the form asking for a doctor's referral or report.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:33 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The Blue Badge thing has become a bit less relevant since I posted about it earlier today. The old fellow took a tumble down a short flight of stairs this morning and is now in hospital.

We'll likely return from France in a couple of days but luckily my sister in law (who is a semi-retired nurse) is with him.

It's as bad as having kids.
That's bad news. I hope he recovers.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:06 pm
Born again atheist

That's bad news. I hope he recovers.
Moi aussi. Latest is that he's comfortable after a minor operation. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Oi wey!
Old Jul 21st 2016, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Scotland you have to be in receipt of certain disability benefits to qualify for a Blue Badge, or you need a certificate from your GP confirming you meet the criteria to get the badge. Sadly you can not get one just because you are old!!!
As a former OT in Scotland and one who has completed these assessments and forms on behalf of clients and patients with mobility issues, I beg to differ re benefits - there is no requirement to be in receipt of disability benefits in order to be eligible. However, being in receipt of disability benefits can automatically make a person eligible, meaning that an assessment may not be required. The form should ideally be signed by a registered healthcare provider (OT, PT, nurse or doctor).
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TrishP
As a former OT in Scotland and one who has completed these assessments and forms on behalf of clients and patients with mobility issues, I beg to differ re benefits - there is no requirement to be in receipt of disability benefits in order to be eligible. However, being in receipt of disability benefits can automatically make a person eligible, meaning that an assessment may not be required. The form should ideally be signed by a registered healthcare provider (OT, PT, nurse or doctor).
Thank you for correcting me.. looks like we were given incorrect advice from our local authority. When we applied for my mother we were told that unless she had disability benefits or a doctor was happy to confirm that she was unable to walk or had dementia she would not qualify on age alone. She was 86 years old and a bit unsteady on here feet.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for correcting me.. looks like we were given incorrect advice from our local authority. When we applied for my mother we were told that unless she had disability benefits or a doctor was happy to confirm that she was unable to walk or had dementia she would not qualify on age alone. She was 86 years old and a bit unsteady on here feet.
Indeed, age alone is not an indicator of need for a blue badge ... I know loads of seniors who are significantly fitter and more active than me!!
The golden ticket to getting one is to record falls/near falls on the application form.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 7:31 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Oh will somebody please look at the online form, which I've linked to in my post above, and tell me where it asks for either a doctor's signature, or has the space to 'record falls'?
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh will somebody please look at the online form, which I've linked to in my post above, and tell me where it asks for either a doctor's signature, or has the space to 'record falls'?
Rather than completing an online form and hoping some boffin in an office somewhere in England gets around to forwarding it on to the relevant local council, contact the local authority directly and ask for a form to be sent to you. You can then attach a letter of support to it, if you feel it is warranted. However, in my experience, if someone requires a blue badge, they also require other services, so a full assessment may be required by someone from your local Community Care team.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 11:26 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I completed the online form, and the 'boffin' (?) forwarded it promptly enough for me to get a blue badge for my mother a fortnight later.

A social care assessment is a completely separate matter, and will be carried out after a request to the local authority care team. I've also had experience of asking for an assessment recently. The waiting time in Devon, for non urgent cases, is currently over a month.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I completed the online form, and the 'boffin' (?) forwarded it promptly enough for me to get a blue badge for my mother a fortnight later.

A social care assessment is a completely separate matter, and will be carried out after a request to the local authority care team. I've also had experience of asking for an assessment recently. The waiting time in Devon, for non urgent cases, is currently over a month.
Quite often, completion of the blue badge application is undertaken by the person who completes the social care assessment, most often the community OT working for the local authority care team (as I previously was).
A month-long waiting list is actually very very good for non-urgent cases - that's quite an achievement, the Community Care team is obviously very well managed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.