Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

As I remember it, as Shakespeare wrote it:
… this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
And as Vera Lynn sang it:
There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover tomorrow,
Just you wait and see
There'll be love and laughter and peace ever after tomorrow,
When the world is free,
The shepherd will tend his sheep,
A valley will bloom again,
Jimmy will go to sleep in his own little room again
There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover tomorrow,
Just you wait and see.
And today I see this

Brown? In London? Papers please.

I'm proud to live in Kensal Green, in the London Borough of Brent. Its biggest asset is the diversity of its people, with the strength of our community demonstrated by strong local campaigns to prevent the building of a nearby waste incinerator and to save the local library.

All of which makes what happened on 30 July even more remarkable.

As I approached the Kensal Green tube station, where I catch the Bakerloo Line to work every morning, I could see a group of burly men blocking the entrance to the station. As I got closer, I realised they were uniformed UK Border Agency officers, complete with protective vests and walkie-talkies.

I asked them what they were doing and was told it was a random check of identity documents to find illegal immigrants. They didn’t seem interested in me and I walked straight through, but the two Asian women who entered the station after me were stopped, taken to one side and questioned.

Even as a young man, over six feet tall, with the confidence of a free born Englishman who knows he has nothing to hide, I found this whole experience to be extremely intimidating. The station I use twice a day had suddenly taken on the suspicious air of a border crossing.

I shared my experience on Twitter and found many people had experienced the same feelings and problems. Another resident, Phil O’Shea, told the local paper how he found the behavior of the UKBA staff to be “heavy-handed and frightening” and how when he asked what was going on he “was threatened with arrest for obstruction and was told to ‘crack on’.”
Words fail me. It looks more like how I remember Russia. Has it really come to this? Has the globalised police state come to this? Has the wheel turned full circle?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

Originally Posted by holly_1948
As I remember it, as Shakespeare wrote it:

And as Vera Lynn sang it:

And today I see this
http://media.boingboing.net/wp-conte...rd-300x347.jpg

Words fail me. It looks more like how I remember Russia. Has it really come to this? Has the globalised police state come to this? Has the wheel turned full circle?
TBH, it doesn't bother me. And I always take people's versions of what happened with a pinch of salt. For all we know, the person in question might have been acting like an idiot, which would explain why he was told to "crack on".

I watch these "reality TV" shows (I mean "real" life not "manufactured" life, aka Big Brother, etc.) - following the police, A & E, etc. I am often gobsmacked at what is seen to be acceptable behaviour towards officials who already have a tough job. If that is freedom of speech, you can keep it.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

People complain about illegal immigrants, people ask why the government and the police aren't doing more to prevent illegal immigrants from living in the UK (or wherever) yet when moves are made to check up and remove said illegal immigrants, people complain........
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems fine to me, as Polly said people complain when they think nothing is being done about illegal immigrants then complain when they are being proactive.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

yep , if you're all legal & above board what's to worry about? Are we supposed to just keep on allowing illegals to go unchallenged?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
People complain about illegal immigrants, people ask why the government and the police aren't doing more to prevent illegal immigrants from living in the UK (or wherever) yet when moves are made to check up and remove said illegal immigrants, people complain........
Bingo - and therein lies the problem not just for the UK, but for the entire planet, I think.

"Government, government - DO something!!!"

Government does.

"Government, government - how DARE you?!?!"

It's a no-win for them, unfortunately.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Bingo - and therein lies the problem not just for the UK, but for the entire planet, I think.

"Government, government - DO something!!!"

Government does.

"Government, government - how DARE you?!?!"

It's a no-win for them, unfortunately.
Maybe, but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for them.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's the way it looks to me, too.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe, but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for them.
That's true
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:06 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a young woman I stayed with some friends in Paris. We were fairly hippy/punk in appearance. One day we were stopped by some 'flics' who demanded we produce our 'papiers' . While we were getting out our ID cards and passports, a very respectable looking middle aged man came up and started remonstrating with the policemen. He wanted to know why they weren't asking for his papers and demanded that they did so. Very pink in the face, the policemen examined his papers and reassured him that they were satisfied that he was, in fact, the local Gaullist (Conservative) councillor.

On what basis are the UKBA approaching people on the tube? If it is on the basis of racial profiling it is discriminatory. If I saw them doing it, I hope I'd follow the example set by that Gaullist councillor 40 years ago.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:30 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Editha
When I was a young woman I stayed with some friends in Paris. We were fairly hippy/punk in appearance. One day we were stopped by some 'flics' who demanded we produce our 'papiers' . While we were getting out our ID cards and passports, a very respectable looking middle aged man came up and started remonstrating with the policemen. He wanted to know why they weren't asking for his papers and demanded that they did so. Very pink in the face, the policemen examined his papers and reassured him that they were satisfied that he was, in fact, the local Gaullist (Conservative) councillor.

On what basis are the UKBA approaching people on the tube? If it is on the basis of racial profiling it is discriminatory. If I saw them doing it, I hope I'd follow the example set by that Gaullist councillor 40 years ago.
Trouble is, it's difficult to differentiate between national profiling (which as far as I know isn't discriminatory) and racial profiling.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

"National profiling" would be discriminatory, if it existed and you hadn't made the term up, and if it wasn't just another word for racial profiling.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

What powers do the UKBA officers have in this situation? I didn't think there was any legal requirement to carry ID papers in the UK....
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

Quite a bit about it on the news, and Doreen Lawrence, mother of the murdered Stephen, and a newly creatred life peer was complaining that they were only stopping people who were obviously of the ethnic minorities, by the colour of their skin. She stated she knew they had a job to do, but by concentrating on those they were, there were creating more problems, and I think she had a strong case.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
What powers do the UKBA officers have in this situation? I didn't think there was any legal requirement to carry ID papers in the UK....
I assume they can just stop people and ask for some proof of identity, UKBA officers have wider powers than even the police.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.