Setting date for TOR

Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:27 am
Just Joined

stretched2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Setting date for TOR

I'm moving back to UK but have a problem with fixing a date. I own a flat here in the US that I will rent to give me income in the UK, but need to paint, re-finish floors and get rid of bulky furniture not being shipped but useful (bed, sofa, dining table, chairs and several free standing shelves -- too tall for most UK places) and not sure how long that will take me to get scheduled and done. Easier to get rid of the furniture once the shippers have taken everything. (And sell my car !)

What if I pick a date for TOR but end up flying to UK on a different date? For example I would love to leave for the UK on December 1 but it could be later.

Thanks for any input !!
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting date for TOR

I think you give an expected date of return, and if that changes so be it. I'm sure the actual date of return will change for many people for lots of reasons. It is the same with the date goods will arrive in the UK, you can only enter a best guess if the shipper tells you 6-8 weeks, as they did in our case.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, Durham_lad, that is so helpful !
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday the shippers loaded up my son's belongings from his apartment in Texas and gave him the inventory to sign. He then went to front office to hand in his keys where he was also able to scan a copy of the list to a memory stick. That evening he emailed his completed ToR with attachments to HMRC. This morning he checked his email and had already received approval. The email from HMRC was sent at 9:15am so the turnaround was incredibly fast.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Great information ! Thank you so much for that !
Old Sep 26th 2017, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

PimRoad is on a distinguished road

I just sent the guesstimated packing list to HMRC along with passport scans, "proof of registration" - for which I'm hoping the wife's entry clearance will suffice, the completed ToR application with Byzantine requests for the tenancy agreement for residence at the origin (why on earth do they need that if the stuff is going to the UK), and proof from my dad that we have a place to stay when we get there. All the scans came to 11.5 Megabytes. I sent it in a zipped file (doesn't give a lot more compression, I know) and . . . Nch.tor@hmrc bounced the email cause they couldn't handle the attachments. If they are going to ask for half a dozen attachments, why wouldn't they give you the megabytage to effect the delivery?

So I sent it as three separate emails. The only pleasant surprise in this hour and a half printing, signing, scanning and re-mailing epic was that they aren't dinging me for, like 450 pounds as a processing fee.

The shipper told me that UK Customs is taking 4 to weeks to process ToR clearances. I'll let you know if it arrives overnight.

PimRoad.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PimRoad
I just sent the guesstimated packing list to HMRC along with passport scans, "proof of registration" - for which I'm hoping the wife's entry clearance will suffice, the completed ToR application with Byzantine requests for the tenancy agreement for residence at the origin (why on earth do they need that if the stuff is going to the UK), and proof from my dad that we have a place to stay when we get there. All the scans came to 11.5 Megabytes. I sent it in a zipped file (doesn't give a lot more compression, I know) and . . . Nch.tor@hmrc bounced the email cause they couldn't handle the attachments. If they are going to ask for half a dozen attachments, why wouldn't they give you the megabytage to effect the delivery?

So I sent it as three separate emails. The only pleasant surprise in this hour and a half printing, signing, scanning and re-mailing epic was that they aren't dinging me for, like 450 pounds as a processing fee.

The shipper told me that UK Customs is taking 4 to weeks to process ToR clearances. I'll let you know if it arrives overnight.

PimRoad.
My son's first email attempt bounced back because of size as he included his latest lease agreement plus the previous one since the current one started less than 6 months ago. He re-sent it with only the recent lease attached. Pretty pathetic that their size restriction is only 10MB.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

We are in a friend's basement for the last 5 1/2 months, and there is no rental agreement. I told them that, but then I also included the American Land Title Agreement (ALTA) for the house we sold in May, that we had lived in the previous 9 years. I'm hoping that is sufficient to convince them that our household goods are truly worn out.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Included in the stuff we packed are 2 Bob Jackson bikes, a Planet X and 2 Brompton's. I hope they can appreciate that these originated in England anyway :>.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Glory Be! The ToR approval indeed arrived overnight in the email. I set an arbitrary goods shipping date of October 31. Actual date will depend on how quickly we can buy a house and get the legal work complete.

All the ducks seem to be lined up for us to waddle across the waters next week. I'm not sure how you working stiffs manage to get this Flight to Blighty done, with all its moving parts. It has consumed many hours of my blissful retirement in the 3 months since I bailed out.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PimRoad
Glory Be! The ToR approval indeed arrived overnight in the email. I set an arbitrary goods shipping date of October 31. Actual date will depend on how quickly we can buy a house and get the legal work complete.

All the ducks seem to be lined up for us to waddle across the waters next week. I'm not sure how you working stiffs manage to get this Flight to Blighty done, with all its moving parts. It has consumed many hours of my blissful retirement in the 3 months since I bailed out.
Congratulations!!

My working stiff of a son has managed with the help of his retired Dad who moved earlier this year with plenty of advice received from the members of this site. I also flew over to join him 2 weeks ago for the final effort. We fly out this evening on Singapore Airlines new direct route Houston to Manchester.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

My working stiff of a son has managed with the help of his retired Dad who moved earlier this year with plenty of advice received from the members of this site. I also flew over to join him 2 weeks ago for the final effort. We fly out this evening on Singapore Airlines new direct route Houston to Manchester.

Hmm, we just did the trip from Washington to Houston and back on Spirit Airlines for $100 each. It was the wife's re-union at Texas A&M out in College Station. It's a bit flat out there ....
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

And I can't thank you all enough for the information . . . esp that bit about megabyte limits for email... Had been thinking of just sending it express mail, considering the documentation, so as soon as I get the list business sorted.

So finally won't worry about the date too much. I'm self-employed, fortunately.