Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best way to register unemployment

Best way to register unemployment

Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to register unemployment

Moving back to UK soon one thing I know I need to do is to register for unemployment.

I dont need the benefits money and Im pretty sure I dont get anything for about three months but I believe its something I need to do to keep things like national insurance contributions etc up to date.

I looked at the form to apply for income support and it is very long, I dont remember it being this long!

What is the best way to do this? The last time I applied for any benefits was probably about 25 years ago. Do I just go to an unemployment office? should I just fill out the form I found online?

appreciate any help thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to register unemployment

Go to the nearest Jobcentre. Take your National Insurance Number. Explain that you want to register as unemployed for National insurance purposes and do not wish to claim benefits other than the credit of Nat Ins
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks scot47 things are still that simple? I thought maybe things may have changed for example in Canada where I was living you could simply register your unemployment online and then sign in online every two weeks.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Things change in 25 years both sides of the pond.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to make a claim online or by phone and then attend a Jobcentre Plus for an interview and every two weeks subsequently to sign on. You can claim based on Class 1 NI contributions (contribution-based) or income and savings (income-based). If you have been living in Canada for 25 years you won't qualify for the former. Depending on your income and savings you may or may not qualify for the latter.

If you applying for JSA then you cannot sign up simply for your NI contributions to be topped up. If you want to do so then you can make voluntary NI contributions to ensure you have enough years for your full state pension. Asking HMRC for your NI contributions will allow you to make an educated decision as to whether you wish to do so or not. If you're been in Canada for 25 years then I suspect a lot will hinge on whether you were making voluntary contributions whilst you were abroad.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Edit: As you noted you won't be eligible for JSA until you have been back in the UK for three months.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 7th 2018 at 3:44 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ah sorry perhaps i didnt make it to clear but I havent made a claim for about 25 years but Ive only been in canada for 12 years.

Not worried about NI payments etc just really wondering if anything had changed in the Process of singing on etc. Thanks for your time and information the national insurance link will come in handy.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Anna Maria...I have moved your post and replies into a new thread in our Canada forum..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-910359/
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can buy private healthcare in the UK, Aviva do it see their website.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Anna Maria is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I can see is no longer here...

So now in regards to the UK unemployment benefits system...I am planning to stay on EI in Canada for a couple of months while I am preparing for my UK return this summer. I understand I will need to register with Job Center first thing on my return with no benefits rights for 3 months.

Question, can I return and not register for a month or two (as I need that time for relocation adaptation) and then go to Job Centre and register AND will they include my time in the UK since the day I returned? So in other words will it count towards that 3 months period if I register from 2nd month for example?
I am afraid that if I register straight away they will be bothering me with low paid job offers and wasting time going there every few days to sign up while I will be unpacking my stuff and adapting to my return and looking for a proper job etc. I just need Job Center registration as a back up plan if I won't find a job within 3 months. I am not planning on getting JSA as I need a real job and income.

Also, who performs that Habitual Test upon return? Jobcentre?

Do we have NHS access from day one after returning?

Now that i got used to the private healthcare in Canada available to everyone, which I love, can we just purchase similar option via BUPA, AXA on our return-did you try that? From my past UK experience only managerial positions got offered free healthcare plans in the UK but I never looked into buying individual plan and spent thousands of pounds on private doctors. So I am planning to do it Canadian way this time

Thank youfor any suggestions
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a resident you can access NHS.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna Maria
Yeah I can see is no longer here...

So now in regards to the UK unemployment benefits system...I am planning to stay on EI in Canada for a couple of months while I am preparing for my UK return this summer. I understand I will need to register with Job Center first thing on my return with no benefits rights for 3 months.

Question, can I return and not register for a month or two (as I need that time for relocation adaptation) and then go to Job Centre and register AND will they include my time in the UK since the day I returned? So in other words will it count towards that 3 months period if I register from 2nd month for example?
I am afraid that if I register straight away they will be bothering me with low paid job offers and wasting time going there every few days to sign up while I will be unpacking my stuff and adapting to my return and looking for a proper job etc. I just need Job Center registration as a back up plan if I won't find a job within 3 months. I am not planning on getting JSA as I need a real job and income.

Also, who performs that Habitual Test upon return? Jobcentre?
You won't be allowed to sign on for JSA until you meet the HRT so a three month wait. The DWP will carry out the assessment.

Do we have NHS access from day one after returning?

Now that i got used to the private healthcare in Canada available to everyone, which I love, can we just purchase similar option via BUPA, AXA on our return-did you try that? From my past UK experience only managerial positions got offered free healthcare plans in the UK but I never looked into buying individual plan and spent thousands of pounds on private doctors. So I am planning to do it Canadian way this time

Thank youfor any suggestions
Yes, you will have complete access to the NHS from day one. If you decide to buy additional private healthcare insurance then that is up to you.