View Poll Results: Where would you live given the choice ?
Glasgow
10.71%
Edinburgh
39.29%
Sheffield
17.86%
Newcastle
28.57%
Dundee
3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Best Overall City ?

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Overall City ?

Morning everyone

So I've narrowed down my choices as to where I want to live with the strongest contender currently being Glasgow (or surrounding areas) I have multiple potential job opportunities there but also potential job opportunities in Sheffield, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Could anyone provide me some advice based on experience ? I only really know Glasgow, that's where my family is, so I have a good idea about commuting times, cost of living, etc.

Currently I'm estimating cost of living in Glasgow at approximately 750 per month (give or take a hundred)

Thanks !
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

caferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nice
Default Re: Best Overall City ?

mate i was in the exact same position, apart from Glasgow, I didnt like Sheffield, liked Edinburgh, Newcastle OK, liked Norwich, plenty of work too, but have settled for the time being in Worcester, nice place, prefer Norwich folk, but as a place it has all i need, but thinking of work I will probably buy in Norwich next year, few more opportunities, and like Worcester, a good place.

Really surprised costs here, cheap as chips, with Aldi and Sainsburys, all i could want and half the price of Australia. While im here I have a room in an old terrace house, all double glazed Cozy, loads of Pubs close by, Chippies, doctors, supermarkets, my rent all up is 85 a week, its fine. Usually in excited to go to Asia, which i have to for work, but this time i feel settled here and dont really wanna leave again...but...I have done my reckie..and will be more than happy to buy in Norwich next year, or here...Im glad i came back for an extended time and relise i can be happy and stay..toddle pip...my fish fingers are burning!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the job opportunity based in/around Glasgow?

Plenty of the surrounding towns offer much cheaper cost of living with reasonable commute times and plenty of commuting options!
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88

Plenty of the surrounding towns offer much cheaper cost of living with reasonable commute times and plenty of commuting options!
What are your suggestions?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88

Its smack in the middle of the city center by the Queen St Station.

And cheers to everyone for their replies and poll votes !
Old Aug 7th 2016, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of Liverpool, but i have now gone off the idea, so i settled for Sheffield. But looking at the poll, well its not doing to well in the poll? Can i ask why?

I am heading back in two months, single guy, semi retired, no kids, looking for a nice cheap decent house share, close to pubs and a good social scene.

Not kean on too north, Scotland is out of the question, Newcastlle a little to North also..

What are the bad points about Sheffield? Housing costs are a big factor for me, rents and plentty to choose from.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

caferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nicecaferacer59 is just really nice

When you come into Sheffield, via the bus, you get a good view of teh city, and pritty dia poverty in a lot of areas, its wide open, not a cozyish market town, instead a big city, I only stayed a week,, in a crap rental, loads of chavs, a few lads spoiling for a ruck, all high on spice, dodgy deals and wheelers and dealers.

Like urself, from all Id read on forums I chose Sheffield, but was happy to leave, it wasnt fro me, very opposite to my times in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Norwich and Worcester, all of which Id be happy to live in, and had a great time, and met some good people...Interesting Worcs and Norwich and both old farm type communities, and the reserve of the folk is still their, but when they take to you, all is fine , and they are as good as gold...Aberdeen folk, up for anything, rough as guts some of them , but as good as gold, Edinburgh, just a mad mix, but all good...It might be the UK but all cities I went and stayed , the characters of folk are quite different, I guess perhaps the place I stayed in Sheffield was very dark, and the people reflected this, but would not go back to Sheffield...good luck with your choice, only you can experience , dont believe all you read on forums, good and bad
Old Aug 9th 2016, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte
Morning everyone

So I've narrowed down my choices as to where I want to live with the strongest contender currently being Glasgow (or surrounding areas) I have multiple potential job opportunities there but also potential job opportunities in Sheffield, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Could anyone provide me some advice based on experience ? I only really know Glasgow, that's where my family is, so I have a good idea about commuting times, cost of living, etc.

Currently I'm estimating cost of living in Glasgow at approximately 750 per month (give or take a hundred)

Thanks !

Out of your poll I would vote (and did) Newcastle. I would not want to go so far North ie Scotland but that's me...(nothing against Scotland....I love Glasgow and Edinburgh is nice) Newcastle is a nice looking City, on the river, not to big but not small it has most things a big City has to offer and you are also near to the coast (a must for me). I visit Sheffield a often as I live half way between Manchester & Sheffield, I really like some of the areas of the City but other parts of the City still look really tired and sad. Good luck
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

I like Newcastle, but the cold worries me. It gets really cold up North in the winter, me having lived in Queensland Australia for the past five years, not sure how i would cope? The cost of living up there, well i think you could live like a king on 1300 to 1500 pounds a month, the rents are pretty reasonable....

I like the Nether Edge part of Sheffield, its got a feel good factor, is Sheffield really that run down, poverty stricken?

I really want a big city, so you never really feel an intrusive feeling, small towns, well you get recognised often, i dont like that. I like the feeling of being lost in a big place.

Leeds, is that any good?

If you were approaching 50, a male, single, no kids, no family, looking for a big city, good pubs, social clubs, gentleman clubs, plenty to do, where would you go, rents are important, as its the main cost of living. It has to be north of Nottingham, or south of Leamington Spa..

Looking for a good house share really

Thanks for all of the replies...
Old Aug 10th 2016, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sign
I like Newcastle, but the cold worries me. It gets really cold up North in the winter, me having lived in Queensland Australia for the past five years, not sure how i would cope?

If you're willing to live in Sheffield, I doubt the cold will be an issue for you in Newcastle. Looking at stats, there is actually hardly a difference when it comes to average lower temps and in general you only have a 1 degree difference in temps, but Newcastle is actually drier.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for all the replies, glad to see this has sparked a good conversation. I'm still keen on Glasgow as I'm concerned that I will get priced out of the market in Edinburgh, so now its narrowed down to three for me.

Glasgow, Newcastle or Sheffield xD though I am absolutely willing to live in a nearby suburb.

decisions...decisions....
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Greater Glasgow is one of Scotland's best-kept secrers. It has a lot going for it - and I speak as a Fifer who was educated in Edinburgh !
Old Aug 15th 2016, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Greater Glasgow has a very effective suburban rail network.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 4:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Greater Glasgow has a very effective suburban rail network.
So does Newcastle.

I've just come across this thread, but I've been living (on and off) in Newcastle for 13 months now, having returned from Toronto. As someone mentioned there's no real difference in winter climates between here and Sheffield, for me both of them have tropical winters. That's what Canada will do for you!

Anywhere on the west coast (e.g. Glasgow) is much wetter than here.

I'm happy to live in the Toon.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So does Newcastle.

I've just come across this thread, but I've been living (on and off) in Newcastle for 13 months now, having returned from Toronto. As someone mentioned there's no real difference in winter climates between here and Sheffield, for me both of them have tropical winters. That's what Canada will do for you!

Anywhere on the west coast (e.g. Glasgow) is much wetter than here.

I'm happy to live in the Toon.
I love Newcastle, I have lots of friends there too that I worked with during my days working for P&O. They are probably the friendliest people I've ever met (or maybe second to Glaswegians)

Plus having 24/7 access to Ham & Pease pudding stotties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.