Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The best climate in the UK?

The best climate in the UK?

Old Feb 12th 2005, 3:04 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The best climate in the UK?

Yes, good point - here in Kent the cost of housing is ridiculous, you're lucky to get a two bed terraced for under £130,000........
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

LouiseN is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go to weather.com you can access lots of averages for major UK cities and for Vancouver. It's not easy to find places in the UK that are as wet as Vancouver in the winter (statistically) although a few wet & windy days in the UK are truely miserable.
My partner's a Vancouverite and he found the UK weather fine when we lived there - he actually moans about how grey it is in Vancouver now! When he first moved, he was under the assumption it was 8 months of London Fog and the rest of the year was constant rain.
My top tip is find somewhere where there's things to do on those miserable days in the UK. I can have a lovely time in Covent Garden or at Tate Britain in the most dreadful weather. And if it all gets too much, remember the Canaries are only a few hours away ...........
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:46 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

The warmest place in the UK is in Devon I think, It is either Torbay or Torquay one of them towns has palm trees growing which aparently shouldn't happen in the UK and it is the only place in the Uk where thay grow because it is so sheltered and very rarely gets frost. Saying that they also grow in Malahide North Dublin where my dad used to live and the weather there is shite.

Ah just looked it up and Torquay, Brixham and Paignton are the 3 towns in Torbay Known as the English Riveria

http://www.torbay-online.co.uk/torquay/

Kala
Old Feb 18th 2005, 2:32 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

I haven't found the British weather bad at all, and I'm not being sarcastic. I was under the impression that I'd be facing 12 months of fog and rain, but so far, so good! That's compared to Sweden though

-Becs
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CPW
Inverness and more particularly the Black Isle also a relatively warm microclimate, for the area.

In general, broad terms:
- The West is wetter, the East is drier
- The South is warmer in the summer, the North is cooler in the summer
- The North and East are colder in the winter, the South and West are milder in the winter
Inverness..Warm,, NO, its the coldest, basically its warmer in the south, getting colder the further up north you go, so generally speaking with inverness being as far up north as you can get, its bloody freezing...
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at a uk website recently - can't find it right now sorry - but it said Eastbourne has the most sun. Torquay is the best mild climate in uk.
We had many Autumn half term breaks there as friends of ours owed a hotel there. The weather was nearly always sunny with autumnal winds and showers warmer than Surrey.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

Hi

As i said earlier in a thread, anywhere along the south coast from Cornwall - Dover you will generally get the best weather. They all have there ups and downs but what do you expect "ITS ENGLAND"!!.
It should be the cost of living, especially the housing prices which should be your main concern.....
I will hopefully have a house for sale in Portsmouth if my emigartion to Canada goes to plan. It won't be cheap but it has a South facing back garden so you'll get the sun...
Old Mar 1st 2005, 2:31 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Try looking at Torbay Devon, a collection of towns on the coast used to be known as the english riviera, job prospects good , but not excellent , however two cities ( plymouth / exeter ) are commutable in about 1/2 hr. weather about the best in the mainland, as it is well sheltered .
Isles of scillies are meant to be nice, but apparently real quiet.
If it's any help my wifes parents came back from vancouver to torquay many years ago, and found torquay the nearest in the UK, in climate to richmond B.C.
But it only snows here about once every four years for a day...
Cheers
Jerry

Yeah I have to agree Torbay in Devon is really nice, loads of gorgeous sun, hot enough to need sunscreen and beautiful clear blue skies, great sandy beaches its a gem. Also i think it was where Fawlty Towers was suppsed to be set.
Anywhere in Devon/Dorset/Cornwall and you're on to a winner weather wise.
The north west, wher I'm from originally is ridiculously damp, the Penines form a horse shoe shape around Lancashire which tends to create a far wetter climate because all the rain coming off the Irish Sea gets trapped there. The reason Lancashire was full of cotton mills in the 60's and so on was because the cotton could be spun without it breaking due to the consistently damp climate.