Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The best climate in the UK?

The best climate in the UK?

Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Osteopath is on a distinguished road
Default The best climate in the UK?

Perhaps this has been done before, but in my quest for deciding where to settle, it dawned on me that I wonder where we would recommend as the best places to live regarding climate in the UK

Especially as my Vancouver Canadienne does not really understand the fury of rain AND wind finding every crevice in your body while not seeing a truly clear blue sky that often.

I remember the Isle of Wight claiming that they had consistently the average warmest weather throughout the year, but I don't know how true that is.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:47 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best climate in the UK?

Originally Posted by Osteopath
Perhaps this has been done before, but in my quest for deciding where to settle, it dawned on me that I wonder where we would recommend as the best places to live regarding climate in the UK

Especially as my Vancouver Canadienne does not really understand the fury of rain AND wind finding every crevice in your body while not seeing a truly clear blue sky that often.

I remember the Isle of Wight claiming that they had consistently the average warmest weather throughout the year, but I don't know how true that is.
I Googled UK weather recently and found a decent Web site with pretty clear descriptions of various cities and areas. Sod it, I can't find it - thought I'd saved the URL.

I seem to recall that the east coast gets less rain than the west coast (?), but that's all I can remember. I bet if you Google around a bit you'll find a similar site.

If mine turns up somewhere in my Favorites I'll post it.

[Here's one on the Met Office Web site - you can fiddle around with various stats like days of sunshine etc, even make maps showing you stuff. http://www.met-office.gov.uk/climate...ges/index.html]

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 11th 2005 at 1:56 am.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:10 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

The South of England has the warmest climate, generally get colder winds and more snow in the east. I live in the North West,on the coast and it is windy at times but generally its ok. Devon and Cornwall are good weather wise. Try the BBC weather site. The one thing you can count on anywhere here is rain and never take it for granted that you will get sunny weather in the summer. We had a really bad summer last year and didn't manage one BBQ or picnic.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

loubol is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Chester, which nestles between the North Wales coast and the Wirral. Despite being in the west of England, where most of the rain falls, it's very sheltered here and we have a micro-climate. It can be bucketing down in Manchester and Liverpool or blowing a storm in North Wales and the most we'll get is a light drizzle.

Of course we do get wet and windy days here but the average temp here for the last month has been 9C - today I'm looking out of my window and it's gloriously sunny and mild.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:28 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Inverness and more particularly the Black Isle also a relatively warm microclimate, for the area.

In general, broad terms:
- The West is wetter, the East is drier
- The South is warmer in the summer, the North is cooler in the summer
- The North and East are colder in the winter, the South and West are milder in the winter
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
Inverness and more particularly the Black Isle also a relatively warm microclimate, for the area.

In general, broad terms:
- The West is wetter, the East is drier
- The South is warmer in the summer, the North is cooler in the summer
- The North and East are colder in the winter, the South and West are milder in the winter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

I was wondering about any peculiar "specific" locations rather than general as I am from the Wirral and have lived in London, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Sussex, Surrey and the Isle of Wight.

I promised 'BC girl' that I would try and find the "best" location for her if we end up staying in Britain long term!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: The best climate in the UK?

It's Jersey and Guernsey isn't it?

Unfortunately you have to be pretty much a millionaire to be allowed to take up permanent residence there .... and although I've only ever seen Jersey on 'Bergerac' and it looks beautiful I know that I would absolutely get 'island fever' after spending more than a fortnight there LOL!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It's Jersey and Guernsey isn't it?

Unfortunately you have to be pretty much a millionaire to be allowed to take up permanent residence there .... and although I've only ever seen Jersey on 'Bergerac' and it looks beautiful I know that I would absolutely get 'island fever' after spending more than a fortnight there LOL!
Jersey and Guernsey are Crown Dependencies and although they are British territory, they are not part of the United Kindgom.

You might as well have said Gibraltar (although that's an Overseas Territory rather than a Crown Dependency).

The Isle of Man is easier to get permission to settle in but its climate is nothing like the Channel Islands.

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The best climate in the UK?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Jersey and Guernsey are Crown Dependencies and although they are British territory, they are not part of the United Kindgom.

You might as well have said Gibraltar (although that's an Overseas Territory rather than a Crown Dependency).

The Isle of Man is easier to get permission to settle in but its climate is nothing like the Channel Islands.

Jeremy

You're the fount of all knowledge on this website LOL!

Are you a Consular official by any chance?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Try looking at Torbay Devon, a collection of towns on the coast used to be known as the english riviera, job prospects good , but not excellent , however two cities ( plymouth / exeter ) are commutable in about 1/2 hr. weather about the best in the mainland, as it is well sheltered .
Isles of scillies are meant to be nice, but apparently real quiet.
If it's any help my wifes parents came back from vancouver to torquay many years ago, and found torquay the nearest in the UK, in climate to richmond B.C.
But it only snows here about once every four years for a day...
Cheers
Jerry
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Try looking at Torbay Devon, a collection of towns on the coast used to be known as the english riviera, job prospects good , but not excellent , however two cities ( plymouth / exeter ) are commutable in about 1/2 hr. weather about the best in the mainland, as it is well sheltered .
Isles of scillies are meant to be nice, but apparently real quiet.
If it's any help my wifes parents came back from vancouver to torquay many years ago, and found torquay the nearest in the UK, in climate to richmond B.C.
But it only snows here about once every four years for a day...
Cheers
Jerry
Funnily enough, I have been practising occasionally in Richmond and am contemplating a locum position in Exmouth!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Strange , better when to different minds come to a similar conclusion.

Exmouth is nice , maybe a little more exposed than torbay,still nice weather tho'.
Probably quicker access to the motorway (M5) which starts at Exeter,
Ideal for Exeter airport which has flights to Canada, but east coast I think.
But why leave Canada ? ! ?
Cheers
Jerry
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:26 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say Devon and Cornwall are the warmest part of the UK.

We live in Kent and we do get long hot summers with little rain, apart from last year which was pants...
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I live in Portsmouth (on the other side of the water to the Isle of Wight), in southern England and I would say the south/south eastern parts of the UK and the warmest, with nice (ish) summers and very rarely snow in the winter. The main downside is though, you have to pay ALOT for housing......

Last edited by weener; Feb 12th 2005 at 3:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.