Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back to England for holiday

Going back to England for holiday

Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Going back to England for holiday?

Hi there,

I am going back to England for a vacation for a week in May with my husband, stepdaughter, and in laws and was wondering if it was possible for my American family to go through the UK customs/immigration line rather than them going into the non-UK residents customs. Or do they have to go through that line and I go through the UK?

Thanks for your help in this.

G

Last edited by whistlestop01; Feb 28th 2005 at 2:27 am.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Going back to England for holiday?

Originally Posted by whistlestop01
Hi there,

I am going back to England for a vacation for a week in May with my husband, stepdaughter, and in laws and was wondering if it was possible for my American family to go through the UK customs/immigration line rather than them going into the non-UK residents customs. Or do they have to go through that line and I go through the UK?

G
They should queue up in the correct line. Why would you want them not to?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future

Hi there,

G
If they hold a US passport they have to go through the non-UK line.
It will be easy for them.. keep the answers simple, they are there for holiday. Do not get personal or friendly with any POE.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:55 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

It would raise more questions as to WHY non-UK citizens were queuing in the UK citizen queue, wouldn't it?? If you don't want to be separated from them, you could queue with them - immigration peeps won't mind.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mvjenno
It would raise more questions as to WHY non-UK citizens were queuing in the UK citizen queue, wouldn't it?? If you don't want to be separated from them, you could queue with them - immigration peeps won't mind.
Thanks for all your replies. I just wanted them to go into a shorter queue.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies. I just wanted them to go into a shorter queue.

Funny enough. I have never had to stand in any kind of long queue when visiting the UK until our latest trip over in late December. I guess we must have gotten caught in with a lot of foreign students from abroad coming back. It was a zoo. I had to stand in line about 40 minutes. I would have loved to sneak over and stood in the short queue with DH.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:33 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

G
My USC wife and I (different names) carry our marriage cert with us, and they have always let us through the EU passport holder line. This can save hours (e.g. flying via Copenhagen on SAS, the plane arrives after the West African flights).
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
We are going back to Wales for a visit in 3 weeks. This will be Garry's first visit back since he came here and will also be using AP Documents. Our lawyer told us to try and go thru TOGETHER as a family unit. He said sometimes they will let you go thru together provided you have the proper paperwork. So when we enter into the UK, he said for BOTH of us to go thru the NON UK area, and when we enter in Boston for me, the USC, to go thru the NON USA area with my husband. Not sure if it will work. One thing he did say was to MAKE SURE I have all his documents photo copied and ON ME as well as him just in case for some reason they get lost or stolen. He actually said to copy his AP Document and have a copy on me, in my carry on and in a suitcase as well. Maybe a bit overkill, but if that's his ticket into the USA we will do anything he says!
Hopefully I won't need my AP documents as I have my AOS interview in April and should have the stamp in my passport. Fingers crossed!!! Also that means I should be able to go into the US immigration Boston end when I return.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

brigeet will become famous soon enoughbrigeet will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
We are going back to Wales for a visit in 3 weeks. This will be Garry's first visit back since he came here and will also be using AP Documents. Our lawyer told us to try and go thru TOGETHER as a family unit. He said sometimes they will let you go thru together provided you have the proper paperwork. So when we enter into the UK, he said for BOTH of us to go thru the NON UK area, and when we enter in Boston for me, the USC, to go thru the NON USA area with my husband. Not sure if it will work. One thing he did say was to MAKE SURE I have all his documents photo copied and ON ME as well as him just in case for some reason they get lost or stolen. He actually said to copy his AP Document and have a copy on me, in my carry on and in a suitcase as well. Maybe a bit overkill, but if that's his ticket into the USA we will do anything he says!

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents...We went to Ireland last week, flew into Dublin direct from LAX. We were using AP. When we entered Ireland and they were stamping our passports there was one line for both EU citizens and non-EU citizens so we stood in that line together.
On the way home (to the US) was when we had to use AP. We were in the same line b/c you go through US immigration while you're still in Dublin (it's one of those airports that does that so you're technically in the US while you're in Dublin). The immigration lady gave me a stamp and took Stephen's AP forms and told him to sit near the airport immigration office. There were two guys ahead of us in line. They seemed to only be working on the first guy in line and he was in and out of the office and the immigration officer looked all confused. They kept walking but us and ignoring us. We waited about 50 minutes (becoming more nervous by the minute that we'd miss our flight), then a different immigration official that we hadn't seen before came out and handed Stephen his stamped AP forms and said you're all set to go. (We got to the airport 3 hours early and lucky we did b/c boarding started as soon as we got our AP forms back.) So get there early people!

Last edited by brigeet; Mar 1st 2005 at 12:58 am.