HELP!!! I am scared.

Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lived in Vancouver BC, now back in England, and loving being back.
PhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant future
Default HELP!!! I am scared.

The day is fast approaching, our home is being packed up to go on the high seas, to leave Vancouver on 28th February heading for England.

I have wanted to go back so much, and have never felt I belonged here BUT... now I am so scared, my heart is heavy as I look at our things packed, and I look at the fantastic view from our windows. I am starting to have negative thoughts. Surely I should be wildly excited and itching to get on the plane. Maybe I am just having a bad day, and need someone to tell me "you are doing the right thing" Has anyone else felt like this? :scared:
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!! I am scared.

Originally Posted by PhillyD
The day is fast approaching, our home is being packed up to go on the high seas, to leave Vancouver on 28th February heading for England.

I have wanted to go back so much, and have never felt I belonged here BUT... now I am so scared, my heart is heavy as I look at our things packed, and I look at the fantastic view from our windows. I am starting to have negative thoughts. Surely I should be wildly excited and itching to get on the plane. Maybe I am just having a bad day, and need someone to tell me "you are doing the right thing" Has anyone else felt like this? :scared:
When I think back to all of the places I've lived, I wish I could take specific parts of each of them and live in a place that has the best parts. Of course, no such place exists.

For example, I often think back to middle Tennessee and what a great place it was to live (probably my most favorite place, geographically).

It's natural to look at your view and have a heavy heart becaise you won't have it again. If you had no regrets at all about leaving somewhere, it would be a sad statement about that place.

I think we all have a tendency towards shopper's remorse to some extent or another. It's natural. hopefully in years to come you'll have the same feelings that I have towards Tennessee, but will realize why you prefer living somewhere else.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
When I think back to all of the places I've lived, I wish I could take specific parts of each of them and live in a place that has the best parts. Of course, no such place exists.

For example, I often think back to middle Tennessee and what a great place it was to live (probably my most favorite place, geographically).

It's natural to look at your view and have a heavy heart becaise you won't have it again. If you had no regrets at all about leaving somewhere, it would be a sad statement about that place.

I think we all have a tendency towards shopper's remorse to some extent or another. It's natural. hopefully in years to come you'll have the same feelings that I have towards Tennessee, but will realize why you prefer living somewhere else.
I like the sentence in the middle, heavy heart and all. I also think what plays on your mind is the uncertainty. Even if you are unhappy where you are now, you have built up your own comfort zone. To break that for whatever reason is difficult to do.

I would like to think that when I leave there are things I will miss, but my reaons for going far outweigh those things and I just have to remember why the decision was made.

Nothing is ever easy. We just have to try and make the best of what we can.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Your only feeling like this because you have the luxury to do it. If someone said okay tear up your airline tickets and stay..how would you feel then? Good Luck
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Don't worry it will be ok. Our worldly possessions go on the 28th and we fly out on the 9th March so I know a little of how you are feeling right now.

I feel a bit sad that it hasn't worked out like we had hoped but so happy to be heading back to my home and family I left behind. Mixed emotions are normal. We are normal and our feelings about what we are doing are normal.

Chin up gal, put one foot in front of the other all the way to the airport

Here to going home
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

PhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scrawni
Don't worry it will be ok. Our worldly possessions go on the 28th and we fly out on the 9th March so I know a little of how you are feeling right now.

I feel a bit sad that it hasn't worked out like we had hoped but so happy to be heading back to my home and family I left behind. Mixed emotions are normal. We are normal and our feelings about what we are doing are normal.

Chin up gal, put one foot in front of the other all the way to the airport

Here to going home
Thank you for the support, and to everyone who has replied to my note. It is good to know others are feeling the same way. I am sure as I fly out on the 5th alone! the tears will flow freely, but I am also looking forward very much to being back with family and friends.

I must admit to feeling a bit foolish, and know some people think I have failed. But at least I had the courage to try to make it work here for me. Luckily my husband is now willing to try and live in England for me. I hope he doesn't change his mind when I have gone

Good luck with your move, keep us posted on how it goes, as I will.

To Going home
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:41 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the support, and to everyone who has replied to my note. It is good to know others are feeling the same way. I am sure as I fly out on the 5th alone! the tears will flow freely, but I am also looking forward very much to being back with family and friends.

I must admit to feeling a bit foolish, and know some people think I have failed. But at least I had the courage to try to make it work here for me. Luckily my husband is now willing to try and live in England for me. I hope he doesn't change his mind when I have gone

Good luck with your move, keep us posted on how it goes, as I will.

To Going home
We are going in the opposite direction......UK to USA. We have wanted this for years. Suddenly my view is wonderful,all the negative things about where I live have a rosy hue. I think it's normal. Good luck. Tears are cleansing ...let them flow.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We are going in the opposite direction......UK to USA. We have wanted this for years. Suddenly my view is wonderful,all the negative things about where I live have a rosy hue. I think it's normal. Good luck. Tears are cleansing ...let them flow.
Thanks for your good wishes, and lots of Good Luck to you for your move, and your new life in America, I hope it works out really well for you. We must all be keeping the Klenex company going!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:35 am
Banned

IN THE YEAR 2525 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your good wishes, and lots of Good Luck to you for your move, and your new life in America, I hope it works out really well for you. We must all be keeping the Klenex company going!

What you are feeling is natural.Think of all the reasons why you are leaving,we always think of the good stuff at times like this.You will soon settle into your new lifestyle.
I just spoke to someone who left the US to go back to the UK 10 years ago and I asked him if he had done the right thing,he told me he wished he had left earlier.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 6:34 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Well this hit home with me as I felt the same when I left Oz. When it came to leaving and saying many tearful goodbyes I remember thinking "is this right? if so why do I feel so sad?" but it was just that chapter of my life coming to a different ending than I expected and a new one beginning going back home. I have been home near on 6mnths now and it has not been easy but here is where I live and here is where I am making it happen. For me I have not closed that door on the possibility of going back.What you feel is perfectly natural. I bet you felt the same when you left the UK for Canada.

It's great being here in Sunny Sussex and I love being able to see my family and friends...all big pluses. My aussie hubby loves being here and has no regrets about the move, he thrives in this coldish climate ..mad person !!!

My disappointment is knowing that what I had in Oz I won't find here unless I rob a bank..talking about houses of course but I will get over it..its not life threatning is it.

I see you are heading back to Kent....what part?

Don't be scared its just change...keep positive and keep looking forward. Stay happy and keep us posted.

Cheers
P
Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:30 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

We must all be keeping the Klenex company going!

The kleenex company! I feel I have kept the rivers flowing in my city!!!!
It is a very emotional thing making such a big change. Just remember how fortunate you are to be able to have done it! I wish the best for your return. keep us posted.
I'll raise a glass to going home as well.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

So much better when you leave a crap place behind...like french Belgium....when we leave here , there will be no looking back ..yippie...
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving

What a great reply.
I hope it all goes well for you phillyd, it's only natural you should be feeling like this, it's such a huge step to take and also some things, like your house with wonderful views, are the sacrifices/compromises you have to make in order to be where you want to be. All the best and keep posting.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:56 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck Philly!!!!! I hope it all works out for you.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Munchies is an unknown quantity at this point

... I can't believe it.......... I'm so glad I logged on today... I've had the worst 3 days of mixed emotions in my life and this thread has made me feel 10 times better.....I'm moving back home after almost 4 years in Germany. Work contracts have ended and I want to go back to england and buy our first house together and I can't wait to see family and friends, but the past few days have been a nightmare, constant crying and lack of appetite etc. I didn't understand it as I'm really looking forward to going back but I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye, we have a leaving party this weekend and I'm dreading it. My husbands totally cool with everything as he has moved a number of times in his life, while I'm freaking out!!! makes me feel even more like a weirdo!!!! Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I thought I was loosing it on the bend!!!!

Any advice for survivng leaving parties?????