Benefits ?

Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:26 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Benefits ?

Hi, we are a family of 4 that returned to the UK last October after being away in Canada and NZ for the last 10 years. We own our house and don't have a mortgage, also we have money in savings etc. and we currently don't work ... but now wondering if we are entitled to claim any benefits having never claimed any the whole of our lives ,but having paid substantial tax ... grateful for any info ... cheers.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits ?

Originally Posted by daisycutter
Hi, we are a family of 4 that returned to the UK last October after being away in Canada and NZ for the last 10 years. We own our house and don't have a mortgage, also we have money in savings etc. and we currently don't work ... but now wondering if we are entitled to claim any benefits having never claimed any the whole of our lives ,but having paid substantial tax ... grateful for any info ... cheers.
Go to your local council offices and ask, or to citizens advice.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Think it depends on the amount of savings you have.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You will be means tested to see whether you qualify. Having a house, no mortgage and savings will work against you.

If you have savings over a certain amount you are usually asked to spend down to that level before being able to claim.

Go to your local social security office.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

I think that many of the benefits are means tested and do depend on how much money you have in the bank although I am not sure if all are.
If you take a look here

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

I think you will be able to see if you are eligible in your situation.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

just curious as to how you are finding being back in the UK? Are you all adjusting and what part did you settle in? Citizens Advice is a good start or as stated earlier your local council or Job center
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by larrabee
I think that many of the benefits are means tested and do depend on how much money you have in the bank although I am not sure if all are.
If you take a look here

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

I think you will be able to see if you are eligible in your situation.
many thanks, very useful ..
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:07 pm

Thumbs up Re: Benefits ?

Originally Posted by morayeel
just curious as to how you are finding being back in the UK? Are you all adjusting and what part did you settle in? Citizens Advice is a good start or as stated earlier your local council or Job center
hi,i find it ok .. miss the scenery we had in Vancouver, Auckland and other places, but good to see family and friends for a good spell of time and my eldest will get good GCSE's as he seems a year ahead of the UK kids at a very good school ... we settled just north of Gloucester as the kids have access to some very good single sex state selective grammars ... but will travel again in next 18 / 24 months as my wife doesn't like the UK at all now and I agree the place seems filthy, streets and roadsides in particular ... cheers.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

hi,i find it ok .. miss the scenery we had in Vancouver, Auckland and other places, but good to see family and friends for a good spell of time and my eldest will get good GCSE's as he seems a year ahead of the UK kids at a very good school ... we settled just north of Gloucester as the kids have access to some very good single sex state selective grammars ... but will travel again in next 18 / 24 months as my wife doesn't like the UK at all now and I agree the place seems filthy, streets and roadsides in particular ... cheers.
Oh ...... your post started off so positive ..... but ended on a not so encouraging note. Sorry about that.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:45 pm

Wink Re: Benefits ?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Oh ...... your post started off so positive ..... but ended on a not so encouraging note. Sorry about that.
hey no worries .. we have access to Canada,NZ & OZ and have UK passports also so 2 years back in the UK then who knows ... happy Easter.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 1:33 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

just out of interest, do you actually need benefits or just want them?
Old Mar 30th 2013, 2:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You will be means tested to see whether you qualify. Having a house, no mortgage and savings will work against you.
For benefits a house is a capital asset only if one does not live in it.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:37 pm

Thumbs up Re: Benefits ?

Originally Posted by ldollard
just out of interest, do you actually need benefits or just want them?
hi,i have never claimed any benefits in my life, despite being entitled to them in several countries and have paid much tax so just wanting to see if I can claim and then will decide if I do ... cheers and many thanks for all the info ...
Old Mar 30th 2013, 3:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

hi,i have never claimed any benefits in my life, despite being entitled to them in several countries and have paid much tax so just wanting to see if I can claim and then will decide if I do ... cheers and many thanks for all the info ...
Just to say that, in the UK, new rules etc come into force for benefit claimants on 1st April, and that there will be considerable changes to the system.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 5:34 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
For benefits a house is a capital asset only if one does not live in it.
That is absolutely not true, my father cannot claim any benefits as his house is seen as an asset. And he lives in it.

Personally I hope i never have to ever claim benefits even if I can, I think to rely on anyone, especially the state for your financial well being is very dangerous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.