Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

(Bank Accounts) Understanding UK address verification, some taxes and credit ratings

(Bank Accounts) Understanding UK address verification, some taxes and credit ratings

Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Idolator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default (Bank Accounts) Understanding UK address verification, some taxes and credit ratings

I used the search function, read some insights, however my questions still remain:

Address verification
- Are names and addresses linked in any online database especially the one used in banking? Are residential and business addresses treated separately? Example: I tried to order a prepaid credit card to a random business address (I wrote 'London pizza' into Google Maps) but it said there is a problem with the address

Address verification and banking
- A utility bill, bank statement is required as proof of address. If I have family member in the UK (same name) is it OK if I just send my overseas bank statement to their UK address (as a mailing address for the overseas bank)? It is an overseas bank but think about the many immigrant into the UK they also have to start their UK life somewhere, right? All in all, I am sure someone must have already tried this, just couldn't find with the search.
- After you successfully opened your UK account (in whatever way or you had one previously) and move overseas you want to keep the UK address as your home address and tell the bank your overseas address (or a PO box/mail forwarding) as your mailing address only or you want to tell your bank you moved overseas? This might have implications on you being granted credit cards and some tax consequences if you receive fund to your UK bank account.

Taxation of bank accounts
- If you receive funds on your UK bank account while a non-tax-resident of the country (your address on file with HMRC or similar) and your bank believes you are still reside in the UK (your address on file with your bank) and receives funds on your UK account will you have someone wants to impose any taxes on that account?
- I am not talking about if you tell your bank you live in Spain, but that is an interesting question: if you opened your UK account back home, you move to Spain, tell your bank about it, will HMRC tell Spanish authorities about your UK account?
- What I am curious about is not if you might get onto trouble or want to report something in Spain but rather if you might have problems or have to report something back home in the UK?

Credit rating
- Does it have to do anything with address verification or rather only with your banking relationship?
- Eg. you moved abroad, (might told your bank about your overseas address or not), still responsibly use your debit card, bank account then your bank grants you a basic credit card, then later on increases the limit or grants you a premium one
- How about if you want to apply for a separate credit card while abroad? Say, you have this address with the family member but no UK job, but already good relationships with your home bank, eg. good credit rating?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: (Bank Accounts) Understanding UK address verification, some taxes and credit rati

Can't edit? Then I add:

Many (if not all) UK financial institutions require your address for the last 3 years. It would be also interesting to know how it is registered in the database and paired to your name.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Bank Accounts) Understanding UK address verification, some taxes and credit rati

in practice everything you do that envolves credit requires it, we tried to purchase some furniture interest free from a local store although we had the cash and could not as we did not have a UK address for the last 3 years, we could not renew our driving licence online as we did not have a UK address for the last 3 years and it went on and on don't even go there re car insurance!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 12:21 am
Just Joined

To further this topic

If you have not been a UK resident for long but want to open a new nice bank account and
- Can use a friend's address to receive mail, just send your statement from your overseas bank there

For example: https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/Pe...n-an-Account1/ - Table B - Proof of address

I understand many banks require previous 2 addresses if you moved in the previous 3 years (not in the database), so you use 'present' address your friend's address in the UK and 'previous' address your overseas address

Can you open an account in theory/in practice easily this way?

After all, how does all new immigrants to the UK do it? I understand one popular option is the HSBC Passport Account and most of the info found online is not that useful, the blind leading the blind, but I guess you must know some 'best practices' here - to open a better bank account in the first place (and maybe not really move back to the UK)

Last edited by Idolator; Dec 27th 2013 at 12:30 am.