Reload this Page >

Bank account advice - Canada to UK

Bank account advice - Canada to UK

Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

mrsmackenzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank account advice - Canada to UK

Hi there,
We are moving from Toronto, Canada, to the UK in a couple of months (I'm British/Canadian - hubby is Canadian on a settlement visa which we're still waiting for).
Wondering if anyone can advise re: best way to handle our bank account? We have savings in our Canadian account that we want to transfer to a UK account. What's the best way to do it to avoid exchange fees etc?
I know in the past even when I've paid small a GBP cheque into my Canadian account the bank takes a considerable 'fee', which scares me
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
SM.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account advice - Canada to UK

Do you already have a UK bank account?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

mrsmackenzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Editha, no I don't. I closed it a few years ago unfortunately.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:01 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I opened a Cdn and GBP account, in Canada, with HSBC and it has worked well for me re transferring money to the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Is there someone... ANYONE else to do banking with as Canadians going into the UK? We loathe HSBC, almost as much as Ma Bell... No, more. Are there other options? Hunny heading over in just over two weeks.
Blessings!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, not the answer you wanted, we are doing the same and went with HSBC. We went to the branch at Mel Lasman Square, made an appointment beforehand. Spent about one hour there and walked away with Cdn$, US$ and UKĀ£ accounts here. HSBC credit cards for here and trading account so we can transfer stocks over if we wish.

two days later we got a call from their international desk in Vancouver, spent about 40 mins with them. A week later call from London for about half an hour to set up UK account and UK credit card.

took documentation for funds, including the signed purchase sale agreement for the house, up to the North York office. They photocopied and sent off to London (this is because of AML legislation).. About two weeks later, in the mail, we got cheque book, UK Credit card an UK security auto number generator for on line , banking.

Was amazed how easy and efficient the whole thing was. The person we first met at HSBC, knew what he was doing and followed up with emails to make sure things were on track.

As those meerkats say "simples"
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Claireychick is an unknown quantity at this point

We are both British citizens and looks like we are heading home after 10 years in Ontario, we too will need a UK bank account, I have no desire to bank with HSBC, dreadful experience with them when we moved here, any other banks recommended. It is a corporate move , but will need UK credit card to avoid charges from Canadian provider.