Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK: will I be taxed on earnings abroad?

Back in the UK: will I be taxed on earnings abroad?

Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Jlidle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back in the UK: will I be taxed on earnings abroad?

Hi all
I got a question relating to Tax. I am British and was working as a contractor for US companies in the US for many years then worked as full employee of a company in Australia for a bit more than a year and I am back in the UK for good now. I paid tax abroad and brought back little savings with me. I have used most of these in the past 8 months to live on while looking for a new job here, so I have less than half of it left in my savings account. I have just started a contracting job where I am being paid by an umbrella company that also deducts Employers Ni as well as my own Ni..
Now my question is re. my tax code. I found out that HMRC put me on a very high tax code instead of the standard rate and I don't know why? An error?
Also, would HMRC tax me on the little savings I've been using to live on since back in the UK or /and on what I've got left?
Surely HMRC should not tax me again on the ,money I earned as a contractor in the US and then as an employee of an Australian co. in Australia?
Can anyone advise on this before I decide to call them?
I've looked at the HMRC website but did not find it too clear. Thank you all.
JL
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

aratan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back in the UK: will I be taxed on earnings abroad?

My understanding (limited) is that you should not be taxed on any SAVINGS at all in the UK.

Nor should you be UK-taxed on any INCOME that you make overseas, if you return to the UK partway through a tax year (although I believe this is an 'unofficial' guideline for HMRC, and not official policy/legislation).

Best to look for some advice from a tax expert, possibly before approaching HMRC.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Jlidle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aratan
My understanding (limited) is that you should not be taxed on any SAVINGS at all in the UK.

Nor should you be UK-taxed on any INCOME that you make overseas, if you return to the UK partway through a tax year (although I believe this is an 'unofficial' guideline for HMRC, and not official policy/legislation).

Best to look for some advice from a tax expert, possibly before approaching HMRC.
Thank you Aran. Yes I think it'd be better to ask a Tax expert beforehand. Thanks a lot
Old Mar 6th 2015, 6:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

There is a "split tax year" situation, which I think has changed in recent years. I returned (and re-returned!) twice during a tax year but can't remember how I dealt with it - probably outdated information now, anyway.

Have you looked at the HMRC Web page? It's actually not too difficult to follow.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 7:20 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jlidle
I found out that HMRC put me on a very high tax code instead of the standard rate and I don't know why? An error?
Hi Jlidle,

HMRC would have sent you a PAYE coding notice (Form P2) which would tell you what your tax code is and how it has been worked out.

If you do not have this then you will need to call HMRC.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, indeed each tax year is treated separately.
You might consider timing your flight to arrive on 6th April if that works for you!

And save yourself a whole lot of paperwork.