Reload this Page >

back to UK from New Zealand

back to UK from New Zealand

Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Rebelbrown123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default back to UK from New Zealand

Hi
Hope someone can advise as even the hmrc website is confusing. My partner has lived and worked in NZ for almost 7years, he gains his citizenship late 2018. He has decided to return to the UK for good once he has got this (leaving g our option to return one day). He recently sold his old UK home and paid the cash into my account to find our first (but forever) home. I was selling mine to add to the fund, however, that is proving to be difficult. This means any house we buy with our already greatly reduced funds will have to be in his name as to buy in my name it's classed as a 2nd property and attracts 3% stamp duty which seems unfair as we genuinely want to sell the my house. Will owning a home in the UK cause him problems when he sells his NZ home and returns with the funds. He has obviously been paying income tax in NZ.
R
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: back to UK from New Zealand

I've moved you to the MB forum. You'll get more replies here.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Rebelbrown123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've moved you to the MB forum. You'll get more replies here.
Thank you 😊
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rebelbrown123
Hi
Hope someone can advise as even the hmrc website is confusing. My partner has lived and worked in NZ for almost 7years, he gains his citizenship late 2018. He has decided to return to the UK for good once he has got this (leaving g our option to return one day). He recently sold his old UK home and paid the cash into my account to find our first (but forever) home. I was selling mine to add to the fund, however, that is proving to be difficult. This means any house we buy with our already greatly reduced funds will have to be in his name as to buy in my name it's classed as a 2nd property and attracts 3% stamp duty which seems unfair as we genuinely want to sell the my house. Will owning a home in the UK cause him problems when he sells his NZ home and returns with the funds. He has obviously been paying income tax in NZ.
R
HMRC will not care if he returns with a load of money AFTER selling his NZ home, no tax implications there. (We sold our house in the USA and came back to the UK and transferred the proceeds to buy a house in England a few months after getting back)

I don't know about any tax implications in NZ if he buys and owns a house in the UK while he is living in NZ. That would be a question to ask in NZ.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 5:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rebelbrown123
Hi
R
If you own two properties at the end of the day of completion of the new property, regardless of whether one is your main home, then you'll be liable for the additional 3% SDLT. However, if you then sell your current home within 36 months leaving you with just the one property, you are eligible for a refund of the 3% SDLT.
https://www.stampdutycalculator.org....cond-homes.htm

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 3rd 2017 at 5:40 pm.