Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK after 23 years in Canada

Back in the UK after 23 years in Canada

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:14 pm
Back Home

Barnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Back in the UK after 23 years in Canada

I feel the need to give something back to this forum, because I have leaned on the experiences of so many members during the past three or four years while agonizing over some necessary decisions that had to be made. I hope that, in some small way, our experiences may assist others who may be in similar positions, and I look forward to answering any questions that other members may have.

My wife and I returned to England in February 2011, after living in Canada for 23 years.

It wasn't an easy decision to make, especially as it meant leaving grown children and grand children in North America. The truth is that I have always missed England and have never in my heart given myself to Canada, so therein may have lain part of the problem.

A number of reasons came into play, including the fact that we did not want to grow old in Canada, to perhaps end up in an old folks home, and to be in a position whereby we were "stuck" and couldn't return to England.

My health is taking a turn for the worse and the extremes in Canadian temperatures were getting harder to take. Neither of us were enjoying the hot and humid summers and the freezing cold winters.

We did enjoy the North American way of life, in the main, so our decision to return was based mainly on personal reasons. Any "dislikes" we had of living in Canada were not, in themselves, enough to motivate us to return to England other than the weather. As mentioned, I have always missed England and the beautiful scenery, and also being near to the sea.

So we arrived back in England in February 2011, and stayed with friends in Devon. We have today heard that our furniture has been shipped, and is due to arrive in London on 2 July; the day after we move into our new home.

On the day of our arrival it rained heavily the whole of the way from Heathrow to Devon, but in the weeks that followed we saw no further rain. In fact the sun came out every day and the excellent weather helped to welcome us home.

Since our arrival we have thankfully confirmed that our decision to return was the correct one. Re-discovering the west country has been delightful, and we have especially enjoyed visiting Dartmoor, Exmoor and other places of beauty.

I think we are lucky to live in Devon, however, because some of the inner city areas that we have visited look to be dirty and jammed with traffic. The roads within housing areas look to be extremely narrow, with numerous cars parked on either side. The situation is so bad that it is difficult for even small cars to negotiate their way through.

The service in shops and restaurants still has its' shortcomings and many Brits seem to have taken on the North American way of speaking, with "have a good day" and similar sayings overheard all over. Perhaps a little more North American service, but less of the North American lingo and some of the attitude ?

The biggest shock is the cost of everyday items, especially petrol and consumer goods. It seems to us that it's pounds instead of dollars in cost, although the choice in everyday items, whether it be food or clothing, is vastly superior.

So we don't miss Canada at all, but do abhor the fact that the UK seems to be so overcrowded in some areas, even in the smaller towns, and that there seems to be so much "doom and gloom" around. Perhaps it is the "whinging Brits" syndrome or the content of the newspapers, but everything seems so negative here.

So that, in a nutshell, is our experience. As mentioned, if I can answer any questions, or even provide any advice to prospective "movers" - in either direction - I would be pleased to be of service.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK after 23 years in Canada

Thanks for that, and welcome to BE.

Where abouts in Canada did you move from out of curiosity?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barnstaple
I feel the need to give something back to this forum, because I have leaned on the experiences of so many members during the past three or four years while agonizing over some necessary decisions that had to be made. I hope that, in some small way, our experiences may assist others who may be in similar positions, and I look forward to answering any questions that other members may have.

My wife and I returned to England in February 2011, after living in Canada for 23 years.

It wasn't an easy decision to make, especially as it meant leaving grown children and grand children in North America. The truth is that I have always missed England and have never in my heart given myself to Canada, so therein may have lain part of the problem.

A number of reasons came into play, including the fact that we did not want to grow old in Canada, to perhaps end up in an old folks home, and to be in a position whereby we were "stuck" and couldn't return to England.

My health is taking a turn for the worse and the extremes in Canadian temperatures were getting harder to take. Neither of us were enjoying the hot and humid summers and the freezing cold winters.

We did enjoy the North American way of life, in the main, so our decision to return was based mainly on personal reasons. Any "dislikes" we had of living in Canada were not, in themselves, enough to motivate us to return to England other than the weather. As mentioned, I have always missed England and the beautiful scenery, and also being near to the sea.

So we arrived back in England in February 2011, and stayed with friends in Devon. We have today heard that our furniture has been shipped, and is due to arrive in London on 2 July; the day after we move into our new home.

On the day of our arrival it rained heavily the whole of the way from Heathrow to Devon, but in the weeks that followed we saw no further rain. In fact the sun came out every day and the excellent weather helped to welcome us home.

Since our arrival we have thankfully confirmed that our decision to return was the correct one. Re-discovering the west country has been delightful, and we have especially enjoyed visiting Dartmoor, Exmoor and other places of beauty.

I think we are lucky to live in Devon, however, because some of the inner city areas that we have visited look to be dirty and jammed with traffic. The roads within housing areas look to be extremely narrow, with numerous cars parked on either side. The situation is so bad that it is difficult for even small cars to negotiate their way through.

The service in shops and restaurants still has its' shortcomings and many Brits seem to have taken on the North American way of speaking, with "have a good day" and similar sayings overheard all over. Perhaps a little more North American service, but less of the North American lingo and some of the attitude ?

The biggest shock is the cost of everyday items, especially petrol and consumer goods. It seems to us that it's pounds instead of dollars in cost, although the choice in everyday items, whether it be food or clothing, is vastly superior.

So we don't miss Canada at all, but do abhor the fact that the UK seems to be so overcrowded in some areas, even in the smaller towns, and that there seems to be so much "doom and gloom" around. Perhaps it is the "whinging Brits" syndrome or the content of the newspapers, but everything seems so negative here.

So that, in a nutshell, is our experience. As mentioned, if I can answer any questions, or even provide any advice to prospective "movers" - in either direction - I would be pleased to be of service.
Hi!

So did you consciously make the plan to put your furniture in storage, do a reconnaissance first and then when the "coast was clear" (no pun intended) ship your goods. If so, that sounds like a good idea.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:46 pm
Back Home

Barnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thanks for that, and welcome to BE.

Where abouts in Canada did you move from out of curiosity?
Thank you for your welcome.

We lived in the suburbs of Toronto.

Incidentally - during our lives there we were fortunate enough to travel to most Provinces and across the USA, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. As an older male I was particularly proud to have learned to ride horses, both in the Western and English style, to scuba dive, and to meet some very interesting and (occasionally) famous people. I also started a small business in Canada, which is now being operated by our youngest son. We actually moved to Canada when I was forty years of age, so I am pleased that I was able to live in a beautiful part of the world and participate in so many things.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:49 pm
Back Home

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Hi!

So did you consciously make the plan to put your furniture in storage, do a reconnaissance first and then when the "coast was clear" (no pun intended) ship your goods. If so, that sounds like a good idea.
We have maintained close ties with England over the years. So it was unnecessary to store our furniture in order to check things out etc. We left our things there while we looked for a home in Devon and, having found a place, sent for them.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing you story with us, I copied and pasted it over in the 50s 60s moving back thread, hope you dont mind.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:15 pm
Back Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Thank you for sharing you story with us, I copied and pasted it over in the 50s 60s moving back thread, hope you dont mind.
Absolutely no problem ! Thank you.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

very interesting ! We have lived in Pa for 11 years and our exodus is planned for November, cant wait, nothing to do with not living in America, all to do with wanting to be back in UK. You seem to be around the same age as us but our grand kids and kids are in UK, so we are returning to them, so an easy decision. Also like you we hail from the South West, namely Torrington, of which I assume you are familiar ( clue: you go by the name of Barnstaple, see how quick I am !! ) before moving to Pa we lived in Cornwall, which is where we plan on returning. We have already purchased a property, sight unseen, selected by our son and approved by us via pictures etc. ! Our son is renovating it for us, so it will be ready on our return. So pumped, simply cant wait. Please keep posting, I am dead interested in your progress
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Back in the UK after 23 years in Canada

Thank you for posting your experiences, Barnstaple.

Just a few weeks ago another expat left Canada to move to Devon (Brixham) and is in the throes of getting ready to set up a bed & breakfast business; the photos of the house that David and his partner have purchased are stunning.

You might want to look up some of his posts on the '50's+' threads or in the search function under the user name "High Tide".

I wouldn't be surprised if they host a BE reunion at some point for the expat returnees!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:28 am
Back Home

Originally Posted by judes
very interesting ! We have lived in Pa for 11 years and our exodus is planned for November, cant wait, nothing to do with not living in America, all to do with wanting to be back in UK. You seem to be around the same age as us but our grand kids and kids are in UK, so we are returning to them, so an easy decision. Also like you we hail from the South West, namely Torrington, of which I assume you are familiar ( clue: you go by the name of Barnstaple, see how quick I am !! ) before moving to Pa we lived in Cornwall, which is where we plan on returning. We have already purchased a property, sight unseen, selected by our son and approved by us via pictures etc. ! Our son is renovating it for us, so it will be ready on our return. So pumped, simply cant wait. Please keep posting, I am dead interested in your progress
The best of luck to you and your family with the move. I will be sure to keep posting with updates and thank you for your kind comments.