Back in UK after 15 Years

Old Jun 14th 2017, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

chipsncurry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back in UK after 15 Years

Thanks, but I think I may just go back to EFL in East Asia, seems it is far more of a headache to return to my violent crime ridden homeland than it is to get back into private/skype tuition back where I was. Thanks for all replies on the topic.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 5:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chipsncurry
Thanks, but I think I may just go back to EFL in East Asia, seems it is far more of a headache to return to my violent crime ridden homeland than it is to get back into private/skype tuition back where I was. Thanks for all replies on the topic.
It's easy for British citizens to return to the UK, you just have to hop on a plane!

Steady on with the 'violent and crime ridden' stuff - the UK comes up pretty well in terms of safety. I left Australia to come and live here, and far from regretting it I absolutely love it
Old Jun 14th 2017, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Steady on with the 'violent and crime ridden' stuff - the UK comes up pretty well in terms of safety. I left Australia to come and live here, and far from regretting it I absolutely love it
Perhaps that was overkill, and you are right to point it out. But given I could not walk around my hometown at 3 am in the morning, or even in the daytime without risk of knife crime, from reading the local news online, it was far safer in East Asia where I was teaching, even in the wee small hours.

I guess it is easy if you have a address and money to return, but everyones situation is different I guess.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 9:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps that was overkill, and you are right to point it out. But given I could not walk around my hometown at 3 am in the morning, or even in the daytime without risk of knife crime, from reading the local news online, it was far safer in East Asia where I was teaching, even in the wee small hours.

I guess it is easy if you have a address and money to return, but everyones situation is different I guess.
Fair point about the risk of crime, I don't know Bolton at all. As you'd gather from my user name, Liverpool (and the Wirral) are my stamping grounds.

I didn't mean to be dismissive of the difficulties expats face when returning home, sorry if it sounded that way. Although it is easy for a Brit to return, compared with an alien like myself who will be down around £8,000 in visa fees by the time I'm eligible to remain indefinitely, housing and employment are the two biggest issues any of us face when we arrive, no matter where we come from.

If you really want to come back, please don't give up. There are ESL teaching jobs in Britain too, although I don't know anything about the current job market for them. I'm sure your skills would also transfer to other jobs.

I think there's a 3 month waiting period for returning Brits before they're eligible for benefits, but if you could manage to save enough money to live for a few months, and even better, crash at a mate's house for that time, you'd have some time to find work.

You'd be eligible for full NHS services from the time you returned.

Wishing you all the best.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't believe sensationalist press crap. I work in one of the areas that the press say is one of the roughest in the country - Coatbridge Glasgow, I am often out and about in darkness and have never had a problem or even felt like I might.

The only time I have been subjected to violent crime in the UK was in a posh leafy suburb of a fairly middle class area. Though that was over 20 years ago.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't mean to be dismissive of the difficulties expats face when returning home, sorry if it sounded that way. Although it is easy for a Brit to return, compared with an alien like myself who will be down around £8,000 in visa fees by the time I'm eligible to remain indefinitely, housing and employment are the two biggest issues any of us face when we arrive, no matter where we come from.

If you really want to come back, please don't give up. There are ESL teaching jobs in Britain too, although I don't know anything about the current job market for them. I'm sure your skills would also transfer to other jobs.

I think there's a 3 month waiting period for returning Brits before they're eligible for benefits, but if you could manage to save enough money to live for a few months, and even better, crash at a mate's house for that time, you'd have some time to find work.
Thanks sos, kind of you to reply. Don't worry, no offence taken. Forgive me.