Autism support in the UK

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Upintheair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Autism support in the UK

Hello! I'm newly registered here, but I admit that I've dipped in and out, reading the post without commenting, for a few years. You guys seem to know what you're talking about so...

I was born in England but have lived most of my life in Canada. I met my husband online in 1998 - he was in England. We met (sparks flew!!) and I moved to England. We married, and had a son in 2004.

Later that year, we moved to Ontario, Canada. In 2006, our daughter was born.

Not keen on flying, neither my husband or myself have been back the UK for a visit in 11 years now.

He is desperately unhappy here. He hates the weather, politics, language, ignorant drivers, echoes of "have a nice day"... the list is long.

Me, I grew up here. I'm matter-of-fact about the snow and the frigid temperatures... but I admit that it's my very least favourite thing about Canada.

That's putting it mildly. I hate it.

Anyway, our son was diagnosed with autism and developmental delay. He's on the severe end of the spectrum - non-verbal and needing one-on-one assistance 24/7.

He is our biggest concern about moving back the UK. He is settled in school here but we have our issues with the standard of care he's getting here.

Finding info online about support services in the UK is big easy, and I understand that it differs depending on where you live.

So my question to you is: if we were weren't limited to any one location within England (but had a preference for the South), where should we look? And what kind of services and support can we expect? Does anyone here have any experience of both Canadian and British autism support services?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:02 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autism support in the UK

Maybe contact this organization and seek their advice? The founder seems an excellent source of information.

P.S. My UK born husband and I (a USC) are both employed in the IDD field here in the US. So we can relate to your search for the proper supports. Even in the best of systems the uniqueness of each case will present challenges. Let us know how you get on. We care.

http:// http://www.theguardian.com/s...c-young-people
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Maybe contact this organization and seek their advice? The founder seems an excellent source of information.

P.S. My UK born husband and I (a USC) are both employed in the IDD field here in the US. So we can relate to your search for the proper supports. Even in the best of systems the uniqueness of each case will present challenges. Let us know how you get on. We care.

http:// http://www.theguardian.com/s...c-young-people
How weird. I wrote out an answer to you a minute ago but it has not shown up. Grrr.

Anyway, I believe I thanked you for the link, and also for the 'we care'. I will contact that organization and try to find out more.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As you state your son is on the severe end of the spectrum, perhaps have a chat with this group. Hesley

They are schools dedicated to autism and asperger . I worked for one a fair old while ago and can say they are dedicated to doing the best for the child or young person.

Once returned to the UK , you would need your son 'statemented ' by an educational psychologist.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
As you state your son is on the severe end of the spectrum, perhaps have a chat with this group. Hesley

They are schools dedicated to autism and asperger . I worked for one a fair old while ago and can say they are dedicated to doing the best for the child or young person.

Once returned to the UK , you would need your son 'statemented ' by an educational psychologist.
Thank you to you too! Another great resource.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about autism support in the UK but I have direct experience of dealing with a child at the severe end of the autism spectrum in Ontario. What happened was that there was reasonable support while she continued in school (until age 21) and then it stopped. In Ontario an autistic adult is, for all practical purposes, the responsibility of his or her parents and, once they're dead, his or her siblings. Unless you are rich enough to be able to leave funding for a lifetime of private care I'd think it sensible to leave now.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know much about autism support in the UK but I have direct experience of dealing with a child at the severe end of the autism spectrum in Ontario. What happened was that there was reasonable support while she continued in school (until age 21) and then it stopped. In Ontario an autistic adult is, for all practical purposes, the responsibility of his or her parents and, once they're dead, his or her siblings. Unless you are rich enough to be able to leave funding for a lifetime of private care I'd think it sensible to leave now.
Yes, I have heard that autism support all but stops at adulthood here in Ontario. But then, I've heard the same of the UK.

I wonder how the other Canadian provinces fare. I've heard that Alberta throws a lot of funding at autism. Details are hard to find.