Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Australian Medical Experience

Australian Medical Experience

Old Mar 8th 2001, 10:11 am
Kelly Daken

Well it's all over now . It started last Tuesday 27th February when I rang the doctor
indicated in the Packet 3 instructions for South Australia. And got an appointment for
today Thursday the 8th of March. On Friday I went to town to get the order forms for the
X-ray and the bloodwork and immediately went downstairs and had the X-ray done (no
appointment neccessary, $55 inc Gst non claimable from medicare or private health) then
went round the road to have the blood taken (IMVS free of charge). You MUST HAVE PASSPORT
AND LETTER FROM CONSULATE WITH YOU as it must be signed by technitions involved. On
Saturday went to my doctor to have MMR vaccination and get a letter stating I had had it
and also Tetnus Diptheria in 1996 ($38 $22 will be refunded by medicare) Today I went in
for the actual medical, had to fill in my name etc on the top of the forms the doctor uses
and then went through to the doctor, he checked my X-ray and blood results, asked if I had
any medical conditions, then took my blood pressure and listened to my chest. Gave me the
forms he had filled in and the X-ray didn't even put anything into an envelope let alone
seal them away from my view. Took a total of approx 15mins only had to take my shirt of
for a few minutes. Cost $110 inc GST not claimable from medicare nor private health. If
anyone wants further info I am hapy to provide it, also if anyone would like to know the
boxes etc on the forms the doctor fills in let me know, but all in all a pretty painless
process and easy to deal with. Kelly

Old Mar 8th 2001, 6:26 pm
Keely

Hi

I saw you mentioned Adelaide....... I did all of this back in October and I am now living
happily (married) in the US! It's great to see somebody else posting from South
Australia. The interview is painless by the way up at Sydney. And the Consulate is real
easy to find as well. Our whole process took exactly 6 months. I wish you well for the
rest of your journey.

Keely Willoughby

Old Mar 11th 2001, 8:01 pm
jb

Kelly Daken wrote:
    >
[ ... ]
    >
    >
    >

Hi Kelly,

Was the Hepatitis B vaccine ever mentioned to you? I ask because I have seen a list of the
required vaccines on the US State Dept web site and Hep B is one of them. I'm concerned
about this because the series of vaccines takes so long. What I cannot find (other than
the web site I mentioned) is any info (for example, posted to the newsgroups) of a medical
exam that required the Hep B vaccine. For a bit of background I plan to file I-130 via DCF
for my British wife through the US Embassy in London.

joe

Old Mar 14th 2001, 11:18 pm
Kelly Daken

I believe that different countries have different requirements. I was faxed a
vaccination sheet by the doctor of what the US requires. The Hep B vaccination IS
only required in australia if you are under 18 years of age. This is actually a very
usefull table. I will scan it and anybody who would like a copy can email me for one.
It has ages across the top of the page then a list of 12-15 vaccines down the side
and a few notes at the base. Kelly

>
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If anyone wants further info I am hapy to provide it, also if anyone[/usenetquote2]
would
[usenetquote2]> > like to know the boxes etc on the forms the doctor fills in let me know,[/usenetquote2]
but
[usenetquote2]> > all in all a pretty painless process and easy to deal with. Kelly[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >