Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Applying for a tourist visa when on a settlement visa?

Applying for a tourist visa when on a settlement visa?

Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:27 am
Just Joined

johnformby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a tourist visa when on a settlement visa?

Hello,

I am British and my wife is Ghanaian. We will be moving back to the UK in November after successfully receiving a settlement visa.

We would like to visit some friends in the US next year and were just wondering how she can get a visa to the to travel to the US whilst on a settlement visa in the UK? Does she have to apply from Ghana or can she apply from the UK?

We also have some other short trips we would like to around Europe and wondering about the visa process for them as well. Does the settlement visa allow her to move around Europe without a visa, or does she still require one? If so, how does she apply?

I have been searching online, but not coming up with any answers.

Thanks,

John
Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a tourist visa when on a settlement visa?

Can I suggest you ask about the US visa in the US immi section of the forum? The visa pros that hang out there are very unlikely to see your question in the MBTTUK section, so I think it's best to ask there where you'll get the answer you need.

HTH.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Even with a settlement visa she is a Ghanaian citizen until such time as she naturalises, therefore any travel is subject to the requirements of those holding Ghanaian passports I presume. Brit in Paris may be able to answer the EU travel on a spouse visa, but I suspect she may need the appropriate visas. I look forward to being proved wrong and that as the spouse of a UK citizen she can accompany you all over Europe!
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

She can apply for a US visa from the UK. She'll need a visa to visit Europe; apply to the embassy of the country which is your principal destination. If it's a Schengen area country then she'll receive a Schengen visa which will allow her to travel around most European countries without applying for further visas.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:37 am
Just Joined

johnformby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thank you for your comments, that is great news. Was worried she may need to return to Ghana to get visas.

Thanks,

John