Anyone from Shrewsbury?

Old Jan 28th 2015, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

canadaelk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone from Shrewsbury?

Shrewsbury has jumped to the top of my list of places to move to. Seems pretty good all around in the most important things: jobs, rent, weather, crime, transport etc.

Any current of former residents have advice on Shrewsbury? Neighbourhoods to avoid? Positives or negatives to be aware of?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone from Shrewsbury?

Hi Winston,
I haven't posted on here for ages, having moved back to blighty almost 5 years ago after 20 years in Oz.
Shrewsbury is beautiful. You couldn't pick a better place to move to. There are a few 'less desirable areas' (you can tell by the house prices) but generally it's good. Go for it!!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

OH (who is an American) has traced his ancestors back to Shropshire, particularly Shrewsbury and Market Drayton. We are planning an initial move back to Derbyshire, but OH wants to explore his Shropshire roots once there. Will follow this thread with interest.

PS: I remember last month or so you had a thread on living car-free. Did you find Shrewsbury to be conducive to this choice?

Last edited by Perth; Jan 29th 2015 at 3:27 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
OH (who is an American) has traced his ancestors back to Shropshire, particularly Shrewsbury and Market Drayton. We are planning an initial move back to Derbyshire, but OH wants to explore his Shropshire roots once there. Will follow this thread with interest.

PS: I remember last month or so you had a thread on living car-free. Did you find Shrewsbury to be conducive to this choice?
I haven't researched Shrewsbury's public transport extensively, but from what i've seen online for bus and train it seems pretty good. Plus it seems like just the right size for good transport system - a smaller town might be under served, whereas a larger town or city could be over subscribed, especially at peak hours.

But i'll have to look into it some more, especially for specific neighbourhoods.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by salopian
Hi Winston,
I haven't posted on here for ages, having moved back to blighty almost 5 years ago after 20 years in Oz.
Shrewsbury is beautiful. You couldn't pick a better place to move to. There are a few 'less desirable areas' (you can tell by the house prices) but generally it's good. Go for it!!
Thanks, good to hear!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a poster who I believe lives in Wellington - which is very close to Shrewsbury - called Dontheturner. He doesn't post all that often now but I believe he is still an active member. Maybe you could message him and ask.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Shrewsbury is a lovely town- and more affordable than most. Transport is a bit challenging - the M54 is a motorway by name only, and it can jam badly once you leave Dudley. The ring road is bizarre - who builds a ring road that is one and a half lanes wide?
Rail links South used to be terrible but I believe the connection works in Birmingham have improved it since I was there ten years ago.
If that sounds negative it is not meant to be.
Three major cities in little over an hour - Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham.
The Severn is a lovely river, and Quarry Park is magnificent. Percy Thrower used to be head gardener, and it shows.
What you also get is South Shropshire and the Black Country on your doorstep and a short hop across the marches into Wales.
Super pubs in Shrewsbury - I remember walking into one and getting partridge with game chips for the same price as a burger! An excellent covered market with an excellent fishmonger and a really good bacon and delicatessen stall (Say Hi to Melvin for me).
A decent shopping centre and out of town shops too.
It is a lovely town. You have made me feel nostalgic!
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Shrewsbury is lovely, we lived there for a year, before coming to Canada, we loved the Bicton Heath area, I believe that part of town is more desirable than the East/North East side. Bowbrook and Radbrook also lovely.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston1618
Shrewsbury has jumped to the top of my list of places to move to. Seems pretty good all around in the most important things: jobs, rent, weather, crime, transport etc.

Any current of former residents have advice on Shrewsbury? Neighbourhoods to avoid? Positives or negatives to be aware of?
used to live there, lovely place.... just sold house there. so wont be going back but really no places that you should avoid it all depends on your budget....
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool

yes can walk its not that big a distance.. but they do have buses you know.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Shrewsbury is lovely, the river runs through it and the centre has lots of Georgian buildings as well as Timber ones. We were looking to rent last year (train direct link to Crewe where our youngest attends the Uni campus there) Copthorne is a great area and a nice walk into the centre. Your not so far from the Welsh coast and good links to both Manchester and Birmingham. We all rated it as a 9.5 lol Good luck
Old Feb 24th 2015, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

We lived and worked in Market Drayton prior to our move to Perth.It is nice but would be too small for us now with teenagers.We went to Shrewsbury weekly.It has lots of shops and cafes.My oh went back three years ago and it was a bit run down in parts but I think it has picked up since then.It has a nice feel to it and would visit it there again."Location,Location"recently had an episode on it.Would give you an idea of house prices.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses. We will look forward to exploring the area. Not sure we will move there, but OH has pinned down the exact house his ancestor lived in Market Drayton (and even has a photo of it as his screen saver!), and so at least visiting there is a must. It'll be an adventure for both of us as I have not been to that neck of the woods before either.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

have had 4 houses in shrewsbury, in bowbrook, redfield and heath farm areas.