Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone secretly go back for a vacation?

Anyone secretly go back for a vacation?

Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone secretly go back for a vacation?

Originally Posted by Nutek
My brother and sister last came to see me in 1999.
And I complain my retired brother and partner haven't been here for six years!

I'm down to those two and one other close relative in the UK. I'm very likely to concentrate on friends on my next UK trip, plus visiting places I'd like to see. Although I wouldn't do a completely "secret" trip, I definitely think I will say "I'm at place xx and would like to see you there" to my brother.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm back home again in Hong Kong now, after a 34 hour 'day' of two flights routing through Dubai in the middle of a worldwide terror travel alert.

Our second week, when we went away from our house and our 'friends', things got quite a bit better. I stayed with my father and didn't have to run around as much to meet up with folks, in large part due to the fact he lives in a town that is only 2 miles x 2 miles. I think one of the frustrating bits about our return was that in Hong Kong everyone is 5 minutes away whereas in our house in the USA everyone is a 30+ minute commute through miserable traffic and suburbs. This trip definitely opened our eyes about how much we have to drive (and also about the large portions of American meals--we left so much on the table the waiters were worried we thought something tasted bad).

Next trip won't be in secret, but we're going to have a more "you come to us" attitude. Several people we couldn't meet because they were insisting on rather specific times we just couldn't do given the jet lag naps we were taking.

Last edited by penguinsix; Aug 6th 2013 at 7:12 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

My brother and sister last came to see me in 1999.
Only my kids have visited since I moved here in 2001, my mother didn't like the idea of the flight and "all that violence" (watched too much tv) I'm not real close to my brother so I wouldn't expect a visit from him either. Now the kidlets have all flown the nest I have more chances to visit the UK, needless to say I don't feel the need to spend time with my brother and we catch up with the kids depending on our itinerary.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:13 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Every trip back I add a buffer in London. Generally 3 days on the way in and 3 days on the way out. The time in between is a non-stop family/friend fest, but the beginnings and ends are bliss.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:43 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
So I'm in the middle of a holiday back home and I've yet to have a free day to myself. Everyone wants us to visit or have lunch (even random friends who didn't have much time for us when we lived here).

It's got us thinking "next time" we're going to come home and not tell anyone at least for a week so we can do some shopping and other bits around the house without any pressure.

Anyone tried something similar?
No haven't tried it, but I know exactly how you feel and have considered it myself. There is so much to see and do in the UK that I would like to be able to fit in, and play tourist for a change.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
..... to be able to not fit in, and play tourist for a change.
FIFY
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FIFY
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:11 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Well just got back from two weeks of non stop appointments with friends and families. Holiday? It was blooming exhausting!! And we still didn't meet up with everyone we probably should have - well I guess that's an excuse for another trip!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:01 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

My trips back are usually pretty hectic, but I tack a few days in Prague on the end to chill and have a few beers.

I have established a pattern when I go for a few beers with mates in Sheffield. The one that never buys a round is told that we are meeting at 9pm in the Fat Cat. And I meet with everyone else in a different pub at 7pm. Works like a charm. I just have to remember not to check in on Facebook.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

My visits involve arriving at my parents place and us doing a damn good impression of the Royale Family until it's time for me to come home again.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My visits involve arriving at my parents place and us doing a damn good impression of the Royale Family until it's time for me to come home again.
Royle Family?
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:27 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Royle Family?
Yes. I suck at the speeling.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:21 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Royale Family, my arse.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I suck at the speeling.
Did you help strip the wallpaper?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did you help strip the wallpaper?
A little bit of Monica in my life. A little bit of Erica by my side. A little bit of Rita is all I need. A little bit of Tina is what I see. A little bit of Sandra in the sun.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.