Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back to UK after 30 years and on pension?

Anyone moved back to UK after 30 years and on pension?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Marion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone moved back to UK after 30 years and on pension?

I`m a pensioner and have lived in Canada for 30 years. We have
had a good life here but I can relate to a lot of the comments
regarding feeling like a foreigner, missing UK humour and understanding.
Would like to know if anyone our age, ie 70 year olds, have gone back
and been able to settle there after being away so long?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back to UK after 30 years and on pension?

My Dad has a friend who he sees regularly, who moved back to UK after living in Toronto, they have no regrets and have settled in very well.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:10 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We're on our way back now, in our sixties, after 33 years in Canada. We're not anticipating any particular problems.

We don't have a home base to go to -- family and friends all over -- so we'll be starting in a new place.

I'll be reporting in!

Bev
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Marion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bevm
We're on our way back now, in our sixties, after 33 years in Canada. We're not anticipating any particular problems.

We don't have a home base to go to -- family and friends all over -- so we'll be starting in a new place.

I'll be reporting in!

Bev
Good for you - I wish you all the best.

Marion
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I are moving back to the UK after 30years in the US. We went back last year for a holiday and I loved it. It was just like putting a really worn pair of old slippers on and feeling really comforable. I cant wait for my house to sell. My children will all be staying in the US.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:47 am

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread gives me hope as I am seriously considering moving back in 18-24 months. I have been out of the country a little more than 39 years, 26 of them spent in USA.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
This thread gives me hope as I am seriously considering moving back in 18-24 months. I have been out of the country a little more than 39 years, 26 of them spent in USA.
Me too, I have been 26 years in the USA and am definitely planning my return by Spring of next year. Just waiting to get my US citizenship, to make things easier, as I have 2 sons living US side probably for a few years yet. Not quite a pensioner (59 next year), but still a big upheaval as I am doing this completely on my own (divorced), no family/friends to fall back on, haven't a clue where to live/work, etc, but still doing it!! Life is too short to be homesick!!!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I vote all the BE members moving back to UK after 20 or 30 years move back to the same UK town, we can all sympathise with each other and have a coffee club.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I vote all the BE members moving back to UK after 20 or 30 years move back to the same UK town, we can all sympathise with each other and have a coffee club.

Yeah!!! Great idea, let's do it!! As long as I can have tea, don't do coffee any more!!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

How about we make another thread relating to those over 50 or those who have been in their respective countries for over 20years and see how each of us progress. I am sure it would be interesting, some may decide not to move back and those who do could relate as to how they had fared on the move and settling back into UK life. It might help others of the older generation to make their minds up.
I think the younger people tend to fit back in quicker especially if they have children they get involved in schools and meet friends through their children and they have alot more relatives still in this world
I know after reading newspapers and some posts you might be afraid to go back home but I dont think anywhere in the world is free from the problems that the UK is going through, its where you think you can survive that counts.

My one worry is when both my husband and I die what will happen to our estate in regards to sending the money back to the US to our children. Not sure how that will work.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trottytrue
How about we make another thread relating to those over 50 or those who have been in their respective countries for over 20years and see how each of us progress. I am sure it would be interesting, some may decide not to move back and those who do could relate as to how they had fared on the move and settling back into UK life. It might help others of the older generation to make their minds up.
I think the younger people tend to fit back in quicker especially if they have children they get involved in schools and meet friends through their children and they have alot more relatives still in this world
I know after reading newspapers and some posts you might be afraid to go back home but I dont think anywhere in the world is free from the problems that the UK is going through, its where you think you can survive that counts.

My one worry is when both my husband and I die what will happen to our estate in regards to sending the money back to the US to our children. Not sure how that will work.
That's a good idea, to have a separate post, I am sure there are plenty of us!

Re your concern with sending money back from your estate. That is no problem. My father died in 2007, I am the sole survivor. I went over to make arrangements for the funeral, the solicitor read me the will, I gave him the necessary information of my bank account. He took charge of the funeral costs, etc, and once everything was cleared he notified me of the amount owing to me. It was converted into dollars and I received a direct transfer to my bank here.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aes1
Me too, I have been 26 years in the USA and am definitely planning my return by Spring of next year. Just waiting to get my US citizenship, to make things easier, as I have 2 sons living US side probably for a few years yet. Not quite a pensioner (59 next year), but still a big upheaval as I am doing this completely on my own (divorced), no family/friends to fall back on, haven't a clue where to live/work, etc, but still doing it!! Life is too short to be homesick!!!
Good on yeah! would probably be in same position myself if I go back next year (from OZ) except do have close family and some good friends, been back and forth to U.K. for four years now...just come back from U.K. after a months holiday, know it's defo where I want to live now, but job situation not good just now, what sort of work are you in? if you dont mind me asking (myself childcare) it's a worry to read the amount of years ex- pats have been out of the country and are still not settled, nothing worse... and heart breaking when you have to leave your sons behind, we have one who will stay here, and maybe even my Husband?? I suppose I could just resign myself to staying here for the rest of my life, would certainly be a much easier solution, but I just dont feel I can...Good Luck to all.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marion
I`m a pensioner and have lived in Canada for 30 years. We have
had a good life here but I can relate to a lot of the comments
regarding feeling like a foreigner, missing UK humour and understanding.
Would like to know if anyone our age, ie 70 year olds, have gone back
and been able to settle there after being away so long?
Some people have managed to settle. Some have gone straight back to Canada. Others have settled for a few years and then wanted to return to Canada, only to find their permanent resident status was gone.

If you don't have Canadian citizenship you should make sure you have that before you leave, even if you do have citizenship, moving multiple times is expensive.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:35 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I posted quite a bit several years ago, as I was embarking on that same journey. Lived in the US for over 40 years, (parents emigrated) and wanted to go home to UK. No job to go to, found a temp house to rent through cousin. (took all our pets so even harder there) Three children going with us. One grown, other two in high school so lots of transition. One son (grown) staying behind. Its really hard on you emotionally....but we settled. I love it here. My US husband loves it. Kids settled. My youngest son was just excepted into uni for psychology. Very proud of him. Had to actually go through temp agency to find a job, even though I was a manager of a small firm before. Big set back, but through hard work have now started working my way back up the ladder. In my fifties now and having a brilliant time revisiting all the special beautiful places in my homeland. Oh, and even though I had loads of cousins, aunts and uncles here...besides the initial temp home to rent for 6 months, we did all the rest on our own. Good luck to you. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited by callé; Sep 5th 2009 at 7:36 am. Reason: misspelling
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well, as I have the head start on everyone (already moved back after 23 years), I guess that means you'll all be moving to Glasgow. I'll get the kettle on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.