Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Jersey that can tell me what its like?

Anyone live in Jersey that can tell me what its like?

Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:47 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone live in Jersey that can tell me what its like?

My family and I will be moving somewhere after living in Canada for 2 and half years. We don't want to go to mainland UK and Jersey looks really inviting. OH is an electrician and i am a manager of a Day Program for adults with disabilities although i've worked in travel and with young offenders too.
We want to be near the sea as we have been landlocked since being in Canada so any info on what life is really like living on the island would be nice. We are still undecided where to go to so are gathering info at the moment.
We want a little bit of night life, we miss going to a bar that has people in it after 9pm and doesn't play country music all night!! My kids are 16 & 18 so no schools required but the youngest is Autistic although high functioning and i believe there is an Autism society on the island that i have looked at and would defo be involved with. I was a chair person of a local Autism support group back in the UK so i have some experience there too.
Thanks for any info you have in advance
ttfn
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in Jersey that can tell me what its like?

somebody on this board has condo or something trying to sell in NJ so they may be able to answer a few of your questions. sorry don't know their name..
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
somebody on this board has condo or something trying to sell in NJ so they may be able to answer a few of your questions. sorry don't know their name..
I think the OP is asking about Jersey, not the US state of New Jersey...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

that's what I get for living in US -think whole world centers around us..sorry
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

My family on my Mums side are from Jersey ,3 generations

It is very difficult to buy property there ,if that was something you really wanted to do .

I would GOOGLE living in Jersey ,only because so many links stem from that .
I did that recently when looking for something else there ...

I could tell you so much about the island ,but is is more historical and family related =boring and useless to you lol !

It is beautiful ...I am sure you already know that !
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

My Mum's side are from Jersey. There's nice beaches and St Helier is a nice busy town. The place has a French feel - probably from the French road signs and the warm summer climate.

Where my grandparents live in the South west is quiet, really quiet after about 5pm. Can't help with nightlife, although I remember years back there was a fight in a nightclub and it made front page news in the paper, my Granny told me to be careful in St Helier
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:24 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fulwood
that's what I get for living in US -think whole world centers around us..sorry
lmao
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:27 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
My family on my Mums side are from Jersey ,3 generations

It is very difficult to buy property there ,if that was something you really wanted to do .

I would GOOGLE living in Jersey ,only because so many links stem from that .
I did that recently when looking for something else there ...

I could tell you so much about the island ,but is is more historical and family related =boring and useless to you lol !

It is beautiful ...I am sure you already know that !
thanks for the reply,
I have googled it and looked at loads of stuff but if you could tell me any personal opinions i find that always helps. I know where i came from in the NW of England, it looks beautiful but if anyone ask me what it was like to live there id tell them to forget it! So if you want to tell me your personal stuff that's fine cause that's what i want then can make an informed decision.
thanks again
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:31 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
My Mum's side are from Jersey. There's nice beaches and St Helier is a nice busy town. The place has a French feel - probably from the French road signs and the warm summer climate.

Where my grandparents live in the South west is quiet, really quiet after about 5pm. Can't help with nightlife, although I remember years back there was a fight in a nightclub and it made front page news in the paper, my Granny told me to be careful in St Helier
thanks Deutschmaster, i think we will need to be near St Helier just for the nightlife if nothing else...i did read the crime reports there and it does appear to be rising but nothing like where we originally came from in the NW of England. Where we live at the moment there was a big hoo ha all round town because someone put some green paint on a statue in town...all the papers covered it and everyone was talking about it!! However, when a wife ends up in the hospital from getting a beating off her alcoholic OH nothing gets done....some things are the same all over the world!!
Whats the weather like there in the winter, is it similar to the UK? or slightly warmer? I'm done with -30 temperatures!!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
My family and I will be moving somewhere after living in Canada for 2 and half years. We don't want to go to mainland UK and Jersey looks really inviting. OH is an electrician and i am a manager of a Day Program for adults with disabilities although i've worked in travel and with young offenders too.
The employment and residence restrictions for "non-belongers" in Jersey are probably your biggest problem.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:20 am
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by JAJ
The employment and residence restrictions for "non-belongers" in Jersey are probably your biggest problem.
As far as i have read there is nothing as it is part of the UK or have i read that wrong? If so what restrictions? We won't be buying property just renting and we just want to work that's it!
Anymore info if i've got that wrong please let me know
thanks
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as i have read there is nothing as it is part of the UK or have i read that wrong? If so what restrictions? We won't be buying property just renting and we just want to work that's it!
Jersey is not part of the UK. It is a British territory (Crown Dependency) and its inhabitants are British citizens. However it has a form of local immigration control through its housing controls:
http://www.gov.je/Home/RentingBuying...uirements.aspx
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:34 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Jersey is not part of the UK. It is a British territory (Crown Dependency) and its inhabitants are British citizens. However it has a form of local immigration control through its housing controls:
http://www.gov.je/Home/RentingBuying...uirements.aspx
thank you for that, however, if i've read it properly, there are only certain houses that are available to rent and are quite tightly controlled and quite right too, however, if my OH had a job offer then we would be likely to be able to apply for one of these house should there be one vacant...right???
The option i see is that we live in France and ferry over for the OH job?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I sent you a pm ,hope you got it ?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

thanks Deutschmaster, i think we will need to be near St Helier just for the nightlife if nothing else...i did read the crime reports there and it does appear to be rising but nothing like where we originally came from in the NW of England. Where we live at the moment there was a big hoo ha all round town because someone put some green paint on a statue in town...all the papers covered it and everyone was talking about it!! However, when a wife ends up in the hospital from getting a beating off her alcoholic OH nothing gets done....some things are the same all over the world!!
Whats the weather like there in the winter, is it similar to the UK? or slightly warmer? I'm done with -30 temperatures!!
The weather is similar to the UK. In the summer I've usually found it somewhat hotter than the UK - more Mediterranean. The winters tend to be grotty - rain and storms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.