Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

anyone from Grimsby??? general advice??

anyone from Grimsby??? general advice??

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

petally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone from Grimsby??? general advice??

Hello all,

I have been offered a great job in Grimsby and I'm agonising over whether to take it. We're currently in the US where I've been studying for a doctorate so we're all on temporary visas and either need to find a job and change visa status or leave eventually. I haven't lived in the UK for ages and in any case I'm from London (where all my family and friends still are) so moving to Grimsby seems terrifying!! I have 2 kids, one due to start reception in September and a baby. Is anyone here from Grimsby or that area? Can you tell me what it's like?

Another problem is that my husband is not British so I was wondering what we are entitled to and what we aren't. He'll be looking for work but I know that a jobseeker's allowance is out of the question. That's OK but I was wondering what the deal is with Child Tax Credits. Does he count for that? Can we apply for it? We're just figuring how much we'll have each month because the youngest would need childcare so that my husband can look for jobs. Got to say though, after living in the US, moving back to the UK feels like moving to Communism! Paid maternity leave for all, 30 days vacation (plus lovely bank holidays), free preschool, no health insurance -woo hoo!!

Any advice or tips would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

martin245 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: anyone from Grimsby??? general advice??

I come from Grimsby but have not lived there for over 35 years.I go back every year a couple of times and I will be returning with my wife to live there in November this year
Grimsby is a large town with a massive food industry it is also a very Hard town with a lot of rowdy youngsters and a drug problem which is slowly getting sorted by the Police
You will be well looked after by the authorities and not to forget the Nat Health and stuff and as for work if your Hubby wants work he will get it in Grimsby .I will be trying my hand with this firm
http://www.driver-hire.co.uk/front.html
They find you work if you are a driver
Lets know how you get on
Stuart
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:51 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone from Grimsby??? general advice??

Hi i have never lived in grimsby, but was brought up 30 mins roughly away.
Their is some really good shopping areas in the town and cleethorpes seaside resort is just literally next door great for a day out, nice big sandy beach....its just ashame about the water

But even if you dont like the look of Grimsby their is lots of lovely villages just outside..........houses are also alot cheaper to buy in east lincolnshire.......It certainly wouldn't put me off........but i would be inclined to head for one of the villages i think.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

GTFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm a Grimbarian ! Moved to Australia 14 weeks ago and wondering why ! It does have a high crime rate but it's actually a lovely place specially Cleethorpes wher i have a house :-)
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

martin245 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GTFC
Hi,

I'm a Grimbarian ! Moved to Australia 14 weeks ago and wondering why ! It does have a high crime rate but it's actually a lovely place specially Cleethorpes wher i have a house :-)
The grass isnt always greener on the other side eh GTFC
STU
Old Jun 29th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice

Hi - i am from the east riding of yorkshire, its not Grimsby, but its very near. I have lived in Aus for nearly three years and moved back to the UK in December 2007 and I am very settled. I love it back home.

I know Grimsby really well - the villages around Grimsby are really nice and I would advise you to settle there. They have a nice reputation and good schools. The centre of Grimsby is ok for shopping, but like any other city centre. Dont know what your line of work is, but if its professional you would be better off in the villages around it. Dont be put off!!!!! Houses prices are cheap etc.... but its not London mentality by no means. However, I would not want that having lived in London myself.

If you have a young family, I would advise you to make the move - its a relatively safe place to live and the people are very friendly. Cant advise on benefits etc. but you could give them a ring for advise before hand.

I hope this helps you, any more help, feel free to ask, I am more than happy to help you. Good luck.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GTFC
Hi,

Glad to see you've not had to OP so far and at least supporting The Glory!!!!..but then after Grimsby Town The Glory should look good!!!.. we went to Cleethorpes last year on a lovely holiday back home, the east coast has lots of lovely places to see and visit...we even have pictures of "surfers"....having a great time in the North Sea!!!!....I don't think you can go wrong with any of the surrounding villages and even into Lincolnshire...the North East sometimes gets a bad wrap (I'm from the North West) and thats so not true!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

seba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really niceseba80 is just really nice

hi mate, i would urge you to reconsider. grimsby is a shit hole and is getting worse. the entertainment on the nunsthorpe estate lately is to burn police cars and attack fireman. to suggest the police are dealing with the feral youth is wrong imo. if you must work there i'd live well outside and commute, once inside greater grimsby get your foot down and stop for nothing. i'd make sure your new employer has secure parking on site security and if your working in an office hopefully it'll be on at least the 4th floor so the bricks cant reach

in contrast only 30 mins down the road is the fantastic industrial garden town of scunthorpe, which has over 80% less crack addicts per square mile. it doesnt have a beach, but cleethorpes beach is awash with used syringes and soiled underwear
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

petally is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

I thought the thread had died but it's been revived so I'll give you an update

We went to visit Grimsby when we were in the UK and dh vetoed it. The villages around Grimsby were really lovely but it was so isolated that dh would have just found it too difficult to find a good job. We're going to be moving to London in August!