Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Calgary moving back to UK

Anyone in Calgary moving back to UK

Old May 21st 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone in Calgary moving back to UK

Hi everyone

I live in Canada and brought some British electricals over with me that don't work here.

I have a microwave, a really good coffee/latte/expresso machine and an almost brand new Bosch lawnmower.

I would sell them for peanuts if anyone in Calgary wants them?

I got PR here so won't be needing them.

If anyone wants them can you PM me?

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2013, 12:30 am
Just Joined

avtar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Calgary moving back to UK

hi,
We've brought electrics from the UK too, you can use them here. You need to buy a step down transformer. You can get one from Amazon, get 1000w, it will cover all your appliances. If you want one for each, let me know i'll advise you with the watts. Buy from US website it's cheaper than Canada.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avtar
hi,
We've brought electrics from the UK too, you can use them here. You need to buy a step down transformer. You can get one from Amazon, get 1000w, it will cover all your appliances. If you want one for each, let me know i'll advise you with the watts. Buy from US website it's cheaper than Canada.
Thanks but we tried that and the coffee pot still took over an hour to brew a pot and the law mower barely moved. Have since bought Canadian lol!
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:44 am
Just Joined

dikrite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
To run UK 240 volt electrical equipment in North America you need to buy a step-up transformer, not a step-down transformer. I don't know if this is a terminology error, but running a step-down transformer in Canada will provide your 240V equipment with a 50 volt supply and may damage it. There is also a frequency difference with UK at 50 Hz and Canada at 60 Hz, which might be important for some equipment.
You might want to check this info Wiki out: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compatability_of_Goods
I am moving back to the UK in a few months and might be interested in some UK electrical equipment if I have space in my shipping container, plus I am selling all my Canadian electrical equipment if you're interested.
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dikrite
Hi,
To run UK 240 volt electrical equipment in North America you need to buy a step-up transformer, not a step-down transformer. I don't know if this is a terminology error, but running a step-down transformer in Canada will provide your 240V equipment with a 50 volt supply and may damage it. There is also a frequency difference with UK at 50 Hz and Canada at 60 Hz, which might be important for some equipment.
You might want to check this info Wiki out: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compatability_of_Goods
I am moving back to the UK in a few months and might be interested in some UK electrical equipment if I have space in my shipping container, plus I am selling all my Canadian electrical equipment if you're interested.
Yes I would be interested if we don't already have it we could maybe even just do a swap if they are similar in value - would be doing each other a favour

Last edited by Geordie Lass; May 23rd 2013 at 1:44 pm.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Geordie Lass,
I'm new on this site and the system won't let me send you a private reply - can you PM me with your contact details and what UK equipment you have and I will let you know what I have. I have a garage sale on Saturday, so I'll need to know what to set aside for possible sale or swap if that's the way to go.
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dikrite
Hi Geordie Lass,
I'm new on this site and the system won't let me send you a private reply - can you PM me with your contact details and what UK equipment you have and I will let you know what I have. I have a garage sale on Saturday, so I'll need to know what to set aside for possible sale or swap if that's the way to go.
You can't send or receive PM until you've posted 3 times.

I suggest "thanks".
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

This is my third post, maybe I can PM now - Thanks
Old May 24th 2013, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Got it and replied to your home email address with details