Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts/experience with Sale, Gtr. Manchester?

Any thoughts/experience with Sale, Gtr. Manchester?

Old Sep 4th 2015, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any thoughts/experience with Sale, Gtr. Manchester?

I am from Sale! What a surprise to log in from Vancouver and see this!

Sale is a good place to live, I'd say. Good access to Manchester but all the facilities you need locally as well.

There are a lot of young lads there who think they are gangstas, whereas I know that their dads are bank managers.

The housing stock in sale is pretty good and varied. Stay away from the racecourse estate and the Northern Moor area. Sale Moor gets a nabs rep but actually. It seems to be thriving at the moment. Keep away from the pubs in Sale Moor though.

Sale is A great family area, with a growing population of young professionals too. I would go back.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well WE MADE IT! I think

Renting in Sale (your thoughts tweed_wearer are reflected in our experience so far) and feeling like we made the best choice from all the possible locations we researched.

Lovely pubs nearby, good selection of restaurants in and around town and Manchester only 15 minutes away by Tram. Went fishing on the canal yesterday with my son and was home within 5 minutes of packing up: perfect.

Son is settling into his new school (he just left, later start than in NJ) and wife is loving her new job. I'm still dealing with the day to day stuff before getting a job myself.

So we feel we chose the right part of the country in which to live and work. There have been some frustrations along the way and the cost of things like car insurance is considerably more than if we had never left (even though they take account of NCB from USA - it's all about time resident THIS TIME not total number of years resident). Also, trying to get my sons immunotherapy program continued here has been almost impossible but we have all accepted that the progress he has made to date is still better than none at all.
And getting my USA registered motorbike ready for legal road use here is proving long winded and a bit expensive. Might have done better to have sold it over there and bought here. Oh well
Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic! See you in the Kings Ransom!
Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
Fantastic! See you in the Kings Ransom!
Our fave place so far. So peaceful sitting by the canal and drinking a pint of real ale.

Do you get back here at all? Would love to buy you a pint at the KR to say hello.

Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:29 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Like the kings ransom too

Which part of sale have you settled in and which school does your son go to?

I will be back for a visit april next year...
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Like the kings ransom too

Which part of sale have you settled in and which school does your son go to?

I will be back for a visit april next year...
We got a rental on Derbyshire Road South and he goes to Sale High School.

We hope to buy in the area in a couple of years time (subject to prices and mortgage rates )
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:09 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Good choice Its 9 years since we left Sale, but is still a good aea to live in and so wel located for oth the city and everything it has to offer and the countryside is a short drive away too

Hope you settle well and good luck with buying - hard anywhere these days...
Old Sep 7th 2015, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from Sale. Grew up there. PM me if you have any questions.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moggi1964
We got a rental on Derbyshire Road South and he goes to Sale High School.

We hope to buy in the area in a couple of years time (subject to prices and mortgage rates )
I grew up on Derbyshire Road South! Small world.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
You're welcome.

I attended Sale Grammar too, but there were separate boys and girls schools in those days.

Your son willhave to pass the 11+ to get a place at grammar and there are two or three primary schools that have higher than average pass rates. Those are Brooklands Primary, Tyntesfield and Woodheys. As you will imagine all in good areas with strict catchment zones.

I attended Sale Grammar for Boys.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 5:30 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by simongb
I attended Sale Grammar for Boys.

Its a small world! I lived in Stanley Mount, just offWashway Rd near the coop
Old Sep 8th 2015, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

I see a Sale reunion in your futures

We had looked at Sale Grammar but they did not have any openings and the High School has been getting better results year on year so we aren't unhappy with the choice. He may well end up at SG for his 6th form experience.

If you remember DRS, Simon, we back on to the park near Norris Road.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Personally I would not live in Preswich (that's because its not a bad area but surrounded by not so desirable areas) Bury has a decent shopping centre "The Rock" and links to Manchester by the Metro and other public transport but again I would certainly have a good look around the areas as there are some not so decent areas as well. Could I ask why you are choosing those areas? Good luck with everything
Old Sep 11th 2015, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sale is not a bad area it does have some areas I would not live in, its not far from Manchester with The Metro taking you quite quickly into Manchester and your near to the Trafford Centre etc, I would not live there though, I would prefer the East Parts of Altrincham, Hale, Hale Barns, Bowdon as they are the "better" areas, Lymm is nice but small and although slightly further away are Stockton Heath, Appleton & Stretton which are nice (if you want to be on that side of the M56) I prefer the "other side of the M56 myself. All the best with your search
Old Sep 12th 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Well we've been in Sale for a month now and are really liking it.
The convenience for commuting is fabulous and the town centre, though not Didsbury, has everything we need for the day to day. Trafford Center is only a 10 minute drive away for everything else.
We should be able to afford to buy here in a couple of years, many places are out of our price range so we chose to rent where we could buy so we didn't have to move schools again. On the subject of schools, SHS is an ever improving school and our son has settled in very quickly.