Any faults in this plan?

Old Aug 6th 2017, 7:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any faults in this plan?

Your son can start work without a National Insurance number but obviously it's helpful if he does have one. Opening a bank account without evidence of your address is more tricky. What will his living arrangements be whilst he's looking for work?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:44 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your son can start work without a National Insurance number but obviously it's helpful if he does have one. Opening a bank account without evidence of your address is more tricky. What will his living arrangements be whilst he's looking for work?
He's aware of being able to start working without NI, his initial plan was to go to France, return to London with the Fresh Finnish passport. He has however fell in love with Newcastle and plans to return there after France. He has family members in Mewcastle whose address to use... so now it's down to getting back into the country, getting a job and start living. And fou mum not to have a heart attack
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
He's aware of being able to start working without NI, his initial plan was to go to France, return to London with the Fresh Finnish passport. He has however fell in love with Newcastle and plans to return there after France. He has family members in Mewcastle whose address to use... so now it's down to getting back into the country, getting a job and start living. And fou mum not to have a heart attack
Newcastle certainly has its attractions. Hadrian's Wall and the surrounding countryside are breathtakingly beautiful. I'm not sure I want to visit that countryside, but it would be a great place to live!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If he has an Australian driving licence then he can exchange it for a GB driving photocard licence using Form D1 (available from the Post Office) which he can then use as proof of address.

If not then he may need to start off by opening a 'basic' current account with no overdraft facility until he builds up his UK credit history. Banks and building societies will often allow someone to open this type of account with an EU/EEA passport even without proof of current address.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:36 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

If he has an Australian driving licence then he can exchange it for a GB driving photocard licence using Form D1 (available from the Post Office) which he can then use as proof of address.

If not then he may need to start off by opening a 'basic' current account with no overdraft facility until he builds up his UK credit history. Banks and building societies will often allow someone to open this type of account with an EU/EEA passport even without proof of current address.
Thanks BiP, he only has L plates Licence so not full license (L=learners). So far it seems Barclays will be best option.
Best news though ...he got his Finnish passport yesterday!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BiP, he only has L plates Licence so not full license (L=learners). So far it seems Barclays will be best option.
Best news though ...he got his Finnish passport yesterday!
Lloyds Bank were great to work with when I returned 7 years ago. They took my US passport as photo ID, my tenancy agreement as proof of address. I opened a currrent account (basic one) with a small deposit. If Barclays works for him, that's good to know for others following this thread.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:51 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

So the boy has lined up a job , accomodation and made a new friend with solid immigration advice that has my alarm bells going.
Said friend entered U.K. on NZ passport two years ago, acquired a Dutch passport and just never left and is now telling the son that's perfectly legal.

Am I the only one thinkin that friend is overstaying his initial entry and what would be the consequences for my son if he follows this advice? Just hoping to prove I'm not a nagging mum who just yelled the hell out on him?
Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So the boy has lined up a job , accomodation and made a new friend with solid immigration advice that has my alarm bells going.
Said friend entered U.K. on NZ passport two years ago, acquired a Dutch passport and just never left and is now telling the son that's perfectly legal.

Am I the only one thinkin that friend is overstaying his initial entry and what would be the consequences for my son if he follows this advice? Just hoping to prove I'm not a nagging mum who just yelled the hell out on him?
You would need to find out much more about said NZ friend.

NZ could have entered under a visa which would have made him resident (even temporary) in the UK; then, with all the necessary documentation and Dutch ancestry, he could have applied to the Dutch embassy for Dutch citizenship and a Dutch passport.

Then he would be able to remain in the UK as EU citizen.

Awful lot of "could" in the first paragraph.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:30 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You would need to find out much more about said NZ friend.

NZ could have entered under a visa which would have made him resident (even temporary) in the UK; then, with all the necessary documentation and Dutch ancestry, he could have applied to the Dutch embassy for Dutch citizenship and a Dutch passport.

Then he would be able to remain in the UK as EU citizen.

Awful lot of "could" in the first paragraph.
But my understanding is that as my son entered under Oz passport as a tourist he can't just stay with his Finnish passport acquired whilst in U.K.? Should he not exit with his Oz passport and re enter with Finnish PP?
Old Aug 12th 2017, 12:12 pm

But my understanding is that as my son entered under Oz passport as a tourist he can't just stay with his Finnish passport acquired whilst in U.K.? Should he not exit with his Oz passport and re enter with Finnish PP?
I presume your son is already a Finnish citizen but only lacks a Finnish passport? In that case he can enter the UK and remain under EEA freedom of movement rules. He doesn't need to leave and re-enter on his Finnish passport (see Post #4.) Arriving on an Australian passport without a visa if his stated intention is to live and work would be more problematic but if he's already in the UK then he seems to have avoided that pitfall. If he's now received his Finnish passport then he can stay for as long as he wants, Brexit notwithstanding.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:39 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

I presume your son is already a Finnish citizen but only lacks a Finnish passport? In that case he can enter the UK and remain under EEA freedom of movement rules. He doesn't need to leave and re-enter on his Finnish passport (see Post #4.) Arriving on an Australian passport without a visa if his stated intention is to live and work would be more problematic but if he's already in the UK then he seems to have avoided that pitfall. If he's now received his Finnish passport then he can stay for as long as he wants, Brexit notwithstanding.
Thanks BiP, he was questioned at length upon arrival about lack of funds and no return ticket, he explained that he was attending aunties wedding, first week in London was booked and paid for, wedding in Newcastle he'd be staying with nanna and poppy and other rellies. He had a ticket to France where my brother could pick him up and take to Finland.
Immigration called his Aunty to confirm the wedding and living arrangements and Aunty also confirmed he'd get a lift to Finland with my brother from France so was let into the country. Just wanted to check the situation now, thanks for clearing it! He never intended to stay on Oz passport, he now has Finnish passport, full time job and place to stay so am I right assuming he's good to continue?
(P.S. Wow, teenagers are bad enough but add multinationality hehehehe)
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:30 pm

Thanks BiP, he was questioned at length upon arrival about lack of funds and no return ticket, he explained that he was attending aunties wedding, first week in London was booked and paid for, wedding in Newcastle he'd be staying with nanna and poppy and other rellies. He had a ticket to France where my brother could pick him up and take to Finland.
Immigration called his Aunty to confirm the wedding and living arrangements and Aunty also confirmed he'd get a lift to Finland with my brother from France so was let into the country. Just wanted to check the situation now, thanks for clearing it! He never intended to stay on Oz passport, he now has Finnish passport, full time job and place to stay so am I right assuming he's good to continue?
(P.S. Wow, teenagers are bad enough but add multinationality hehehehe)
I'm not surprised he got the third degree, but yes, he's good to go now. Obviously unless he travelling to Australia then leave the Aussie passport at home now and just use his Finnish for travelling around Europe. If he is now working full time I was going to recommend applying for his EEA registration certificate although having just checked it appears that the Home Office has given up doing them, no doubt being overwhelmed by applications! In lieu I would recommend he starts a document folder which contains all his employment contracts, P45/P60s, payslips and bank statements as proof of employment.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:19 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

I'm not surprised he got the third degree, but yes, he's good to go now. Obviously unless he travelling to Australia then leave the Aussie passport at home now and just use his Finnish for travelling around Europe. If he is now working full time I was going to recommend applying for his EEA registration certificate although having just checked it appears that the Home Office has given up doing them, no doubt being overwhelmed by applications! In lieu I would recommend he starts a document folder which contains all his employment contracts, P45/P60s, payslips and bank statements as proof of employment.
Thanks, he's aware of not needing Oz PP until returning to Oz. He's in the process of NI number and bank account, current job paying in cash but making the NI contribution etc. once bank account is sorted I've told him to start building a credit score as he is planning long term in Europe. He's heading to Finland for Xmas for a visit with family and re entering U.K. with Finnish passport.
He was offered a two month job driving snow mobile in Finland but given that his Finnish SSN is tied to everything between his birth and death, paying taxes might null his army release as he's under 30 so have advised him against it. Right now, he's gone from Billy no mates who called 4 hrs every day from streets of London knowing no one, having never travelled before... to London swallowed him, making friends, experiencing life, working hard and exploring, what else could any parent ask for? Miss him but we raised him for an adventure and he'll surely have that!
P.s. We have to check Snapchat to make sure he's alive � ����� ����
Old Aug 16th 2017, 3:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

teza, you mentioned UK family.

Don't know if anyone has asked the question - are you or the boy's Dad British citizens by birth?

If so, why not have your son get a British passport?
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:24 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Originally Posted by not2old
teza, you mentioned UK family.

Don't know if anyone has asked the question - are you or the boy's Dad British citizens by birth?

If so, why not have your son get a British passport?
Nope, dad an aussie, me (mum) Finnish. He does have a poppy British by decent but that poppy is refusing to admit that... therefore the son could qualify, along with 19 other grandkids for ancestry visa, but those stubborn old Aussie blokes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.