Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another location thread - Sorry!!!

Another location thread - Sorry!!!

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:12 am
Just Joined

steviee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another location thread - Sorry!!!

I recently started a thread regarding returning to the UK, with Manchester or Harrogate as our preferred locations.

But after spending 3 great weeks back home, looking at different locations we have narrowed it down to either Harrogate or Bournemouth. I'm afraid that we have ruled out Manchester.

In Bournemouth we particularly liked the areas of Talbot woods, Westbourne, Queens Park, Broadstone & Canford Cliffs.

I'm 36 and my wife is Filipino. We have a young baby, so we would like to move to an area that has great reputable schools for the future. We have a budget of roughly £350k & would like to be in a fairly lively area with the opportunities to join different clubs where we can meet and make news friends.

We're feeling that Bournemouth may be the better option as Harrogate may be a little isolated. I'm aware that Leeds and York are fairly close, but that's about all apart from smaller towns. I might be completely wrong, so feel free to correct me on this.

Could we go wrong with either?
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another location thread - Sorry!!!

Originally Posted by steviee
I recently started a thread regarding returning to the UK, with Manchester or Harrogate as our preferred locations.

But after spending 3 great weeks back home, looking at different locations we have narrowed it down to either Harrogate or Bournemouth. I'm afraid that we have ruled out Manchester.

In Bournemouth we particularly liked the areas of Talbot woods, Westbourne, Queens Park, Broadstone & Canford Cliffs.

I'm 36 and my wife is Filipino. We have a young baby, so we would like to move to an area that has great reputable schools for the future. We have a budget of roughly £350k & would like to be in a fairly lively area with the opportunities to join different clubs where we can meet and make news friends.

We're feeling that Bournemouth may be the better option as Harrogate may be a little isolated. I'm aware that Leeds and York are fairly close, but that's about all apart from smaller towns. I might be completely wrong, so feel free to correct me on this.

Can really only speak for Bournemouth, but Westbourne is very nice, between Bournemouth and Poole, has a nice little shopping centre and with both bournemouth and poole not too far away has plenty of facilities. If you like theatres etc, then there is plenty of choice with Bournemouth BIC and Pavillion, and the Lighthouse at Poole.

A look here will tell you about the social events etc in Bournemouth.

What's on in Bournemouth | Official Bournemouth Events Guide

Poole here

live events, Dorset, Bournemouth, Poole | Lighthouse

Info on Bournemouth schools here..

My Local School
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mike - thanks for sending the links. Yeah, I agree, Westbourne is lovely but only has a small town. I guess it's close to Bournemouth town which wouldn't be a problem at all.

Would you also recommend the East side, such as Christchurch & Highcliffe?
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't know either of those areas but just to cause confusion have you considered Lincolnshire?

House prices seem more affordable than lots of areas in the UK and in general the schools seem very good.

Grantham and Newark on Trent both have fast trains to London.

Lincoln is a nice town (city) and has a higher East Asian population than you would expect because of it's university.

Depending on where you are in Lincolnshire Nottingham is only an hour away and again has an East Asian population due to the University (although in both cases I think mainly Chinese).

I have been told by several people to avoid the Boston area of Lincolnshire though!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Ahh, appreciate your recommendation, but we have definitely decided on the 2 locations that I mentioned. I have no doubt that Lincolnshire is lovely, but there are hundreds of of other lovely areas too..

My brain gets easily confused, so I can't be thinking of other locations ;-) lol
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The areas you mention in Bournemouth are all lovely areas, but I am not so sure about the school situation in Westbourne. Schools (particularly primary) in the other areas you mention have great reputations.

Your budget should be fine for the areas too - although you may be stretching it a bit in Canford Cliffs
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, appreciate your recommendation, but we have definitely decided on the 2 locations that I mentioned. I have no doubt that Lincolnshire is lovely, but there are hundreds of of other lovely areas too..

My brain gets easily confused, so I can't be thinking of other locations ;-) lol
LOL I hear you, after awhile you find your head spinning! Sometimes too much choice can be a bad thing
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 4:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike - thanks for sending the links. Yeah, I agree, Westbourne is lovely but only has a small town. I guess it's close to Bournemouth town which wouldn't be a problem at all.

Would you also recommend the East side, such as Christchurch & Highcliffe?
both supposed to be very nice, been to Christchurch a few times, mainly for the market and know a few people from Highcliffe, in fact that was one of the areas we contemplated to moving to.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 4:14 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen your thread, I know the area very well.

Talbot woods and Canford cliffs are lovely but unless you are on mega money you will not be able to afford property, both areas are very pricey. 350K would buy you very, very little in these areas.

Westbourne is nice, but lots oldies and retiress (sorry Lincsy no offence!) and I think a bit dull for a young family (just my opinion).

Queens Park is nice, again quite pricey, but you will get a decent property for 350K, it is very central and has good schools in the area.

Personally I don't like Broadstone, it's just a bit too far out for my liking but I am used to living in the centre of everything with everything on my doorstep.

Feel free to PM if you need further details.

P.S Christchurch is gorgeous, again quite pricey, it has excellent schools. 350K should get you something half decent.

Edit to add: Primary schools in Westbourne are not as good as some other areas.

Last edited by pommybird; Nov 29th 2014 at 4:29 pm.