Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ancestry Visa for Spouse (Work & Money Requirements?)

Ancestry Visa for Spouse (Work & Money Requirements?)

Old Aug 20th 2017, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

mcnim21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ancestry Visa for Spouse (Work & Money Requirements?)

Hi, I'm a dual Canadian/ UK citizen (British by Descent). Currently living in Canada with my Canadian wife & 2 young sons. I have a job offer in the UK and considering whether to accept it really comes down to the visa issue for my family. My wife's grandfather was born in England so she qualifies for the Ancestry Visa.

However, she stays at home with our boys at the moment and wouldn't be planning to work in the UK immediately but in a year from now she definitely would. Does anyone know if this would be a deal breaker for this visa?

Also, there's a requirement to have £4,800 in her bank account (£1,600 x 3 because the boys would be separate applicants attached to hers). But I'm the primary income earner in our home and I have an official job offer letter from my potential UK employer which includes the salary offer. Is there any flexibility on the financial requirement when applying for the Ancestry Visa?

thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Aug 21st 2017, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ancestry Visa for Spouse (Work & Money Requirements?)

Not sure about money and someone else will no doubt let you know. As you know it is a work visa but she can work part time and still satisfy the visa requirements. She could therefore in the first year find a small part time job around your family and then get full time work if she needs it. As long as she is looking for work she also satisfies the requirements. This visa would be better for her to use as it is less onerous than spouse. She can even be self employed as long as she keeps records and accounts so could find something to do from home.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, as I understand it, your wife must be intending to work in the UK to qualify for the ancestry visa. This doesn't mean she has to actually land a job and work, only that she has to try to get one.
You wouldn't want to get caught lying about your intentions.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:09 am
Just Joined

mowser is an unknown quantity at this point

Our family recently spent 12 months in the UK and my husband was on the ancestry visa. The intention was for him to work if necessary. He registered with Indeed and had an up to date resume for the visa application.
As it turned out, we spent the year travelling and he didn't end up working at all. On 2 occasions we left the UK and on only one occasion when we re-entered was he questioned about whether he was working. He replied that he was travelling at the moment and therefore not working and it was not queried further.
As long as you can demonstrate intention to work I believe you will be fine.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

The problem arises when you want to apply for ILR. If it was that simple myself and quite a few others would have gone down that route.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
The problem arises when you want to apply for ILR. If it was that simple myself and quite a few others would have gone down that route.
I agree with that. Extended periods of absence from the UK may impact an application for ILR after 5 years, and British citizenship.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mowser
Our family recently spent 12 months in the UK and my husband was on the ancestry visa. The intention was for him to work if necessary. He registered with Indeed and had an up to date resume for the visa application.
As it turned out, we spent the year travelling and he didn't end up working at all. On 2 occasions we left the UK and on only one occasion when we re-entered was he questioned about whether he was working. He replied that he was travelling at the moment and therefore not working and it was not queried further.
As long as you can demonstrate intention to work I believe you will be fine.
That's fine until he wants to apply for ILR/citizenship after five years as he won't meet the residency requirements and will need to renew his ancestry visa and remain on that until such time he has clocked up enough time.