Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Affordable housing near Northwood/London?

Affordable housing near Northwood/London?

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Affordable housing near Northwood/London?

We don't know anything about this area..which of the areas around Northwood are nice to live and still somewhat affordable??

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all
Default Re: Affordable housing near Northwood/London?

Originally Posted by eurotramp
We don't know anything about this area..which of the areas around Northwood are nice to live and still somewhat affordable??

Thanks
It all depends on how you define "nice" and "affordable"

One person's "nice" could be another person's hell.

(n.b. my 9 year old daughter's teacher bans the use of the word "nice" in English class)

As for "affordable", it depends on your level of income and how much you have to put down as a deposit.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:48 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
...(n.b. my 9 year old daughter's teacher bans the use of the word "nice" in English class)
Why?? Is this some kind of ultra-PC type thing, or does the teacher just have some sort of weird issue with 'nice'?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

It all depends on how you define "nice" and "affordable"

One person's "nice" could be another person's hell.

(n.b. my 9 year old daughter's teacher bans the use of the word "nice" in English class)

As for "affordable", it depends on your level of income and how much you have to put down as a deposit.
Ok,ok,ok
I just want to know where the good schools are, we have a 8 and 10 year old who starts secondary school next year and they only used to international schools with small classes, so I don't want them to go to a bad school.
I would like to live a bit outside in a small town or village, up to about 30 min from Northwood. London would not be my first choice, but hubby has a chance to get a job there, with the same company he works for now...level of income...around 50k and we have a quit a bit to put down as a deposit, but we will not buy straight away.

I also would like to know which areas to avoid...

Will this info do
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok,ok,ok
I just want to know where the good schools are, we have a 8 and 10 year old who starts secondary school next year and they only used to international schools with small classes, so I don't want them to go to a bad school.
I would like to live a bit outside in a small town or village, up to about 30 min from Northwood. London would not be my first choice, but hubby has a chance to get a job there, with the same company he works for now...level of income...around 50k and we have a quit a bit to put down as a deposit, but we will not buy straight away.

I also would like to know which areas to avoid...

Will this info do
Not sure where Northwood is, but try www.upmystreet.co.uk, and www.fish4homes.co.uk for housing.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Not sure where Northwood is, but try www.upmystreet.co.uk, and www.fish4homes.co.uk for housing.
Northwood is about northwest London near Rickmansworth and Watford....
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Northwood is about northwest London near Rickmansworth and Watford....
Northwoood was the last place I lived in the UK. My then partner worked at the hospital and we rented a little house with an outside toilet on the Rickmansworth Road. My driving license still shows that as my address so I suppose the house may now be buried under a pile of speeding and red light tickets.

As far as I can recall, there was nothing evenly vaguely affordable in the area. The cost of housing was, in fact, my major reason for emigrating.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Northwoood was the last place I lived in the UK. My then partner worked at the hospital and we rented a little house with an outside toilet on the Rickmansworth Road. My driving license still shows that as my address so I suppose the house may now be buried under a pile of speeding and red light tickets.

As far as I can recall, there was nothing evenly vaguely affordable in the area. The cost of housing was, in fact, my major reason for emigrating.
Ok, I can see we not getting anywhere ...can you tell me which areas to avoid and maybe where are the good schools??
I'm looking for outside the London ring M25....
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 1066
Why?? Is this some kind of ultra-PC type thing, or does the teacher just have some sort of weird issue with 'nice'?
She was trying to get them to think of other adjectives, rather than lazily writing "I went on holiday, we had a nice time".

I quite liked the idea myself.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I can see we not getting anywhere ...can you tell me which areas to avoid and maybe where are the good schools??
I hope the following link helps a little. It called upmystreet.com. You enter the name of the place or the postal code and it will give you information about the area, top schools etc... the link is for northwood, but there is a postal code for the center of northwood on the page you can click on to get a better idea..

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/my-n...wood-4012.html

Oh and my kids were not allowed to use nice either by the way... Made them use supurb, stupendous, amazing etc... Changed from British 'Thats nice' to American 'Oh my gad thats amazing!' My kids now say it with a half American, half English accent... LOL
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I can't offer anything really useful, I've been gone too long. Generally, anything with "Chalfont" in the name was very nice but expensive, Watford was a dump, Amersham and Chesham pleasant but dull.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by honeymommy
I hope the following link helps a little. It called upmystreet.com. You enter the name of the place or the postal code and it will give you information about the area, top schools etc... the link is for northwood, but there is a postal code for the center of northwood on the page you can click on to get a better idea..

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/my-n...wood-4012.html

Oh and my kids were not allowed to use nice either by the way... Made them use supurb, stupendous, amazing etc... Changed from British 'Thats nice' to American 'Oh my gad thats amazing!' My kids now say it with a half American, half English accent... LOL
Thanks honeymommy...I know upmystreet, my problem is that I not even know what town or village to look at..we will not live in Northwood.

I cant believe after for so long wanting to live in England , it has to be London so expensive..I would rather go somewhere else My brother lives in Kingston/London and he pays 3000£ rent a month :scared:
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm sorry, I can't offer anything really useful, I've been gone too long. Generally, anything with "Chalfont" in the name was very nice but expensive, Watford was a dump, Amersham and Chesham pleasant but dull.
I spent many childhood summers in Chesham visiting my Grand dad I loved the place its still really nice..oops 'quaint'. And very commutible to London. If you can afford it worth considering.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 5:45 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

She was trying to get them to think of other adjectives, rather than lazily writing "I went on holiday, we had a nice time".

I quite liked the idea myself.
Ok, gotcha....oops, I mean yes, thank you, I understand!!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Thanks honeymommy...I know upmystreet, my problem is that I not even know what town or village to look at..we will not live in Northwood.

I cant believe after for so long wanting to live in England , it has to be London so expensive..I would rather go somewhere else My brother lives in Kingston/London and he pays 3000£ rent a month :scared:
Why everyone wants to live in London I will never know. Your brother could get very upmarket flat in Coventry for £500 to 800 under a month and commute to London. Only 90 miles, takes 1 hour 15 min. Trains every half hour.There are flats walking distance from the station. House prices to buy are also very good and there are one or two good private schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.