Reload this Page >

Advice re: where to move in the UK please

Advice re: where to move in the UK please

Old Nov 7th 2015, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

UKgirlinCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice re: where to move in the UK please

Hi everyone
My husband, myself and my two young kids may be moving back to the UK from Canada to be closer to my aged parents (I am an only child). My parents live in north London. We would not be able to afford to live in London and I am looking for recommendations of places to live within about 2 hours of London. I work in healthcare and, despite the current state of the NHS, undertand that there are lots of jobs in my field. We would need to be within a fairly short distance of a hospital for me to be able to get to/from work. As we have young kids, we would also need decent daycare/schools. We currently live in Banff, Alberta and love outdoor stuff so ideally we would be able to have easy access to outdoor activities.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2015, 11:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re: where to move in the UK please

Sheffield is the UK's greenest city and is within a few miles of the Peak District National Park. It is also relatively inexpensive, has a large number of teaching hospitals and you could be in north London within two hours by car or train thanks to the M1 and the Midland Main Line.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 7:36 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Sheffield is a bit far -- I don't think you can do it in less than 3 hours.

But two hours of North London gives you a wide choice of places in the Midlands. Birmingham is two hours. Stoke on Trent and Lichfield likewise. Manchester is about two and a quarter hours.

A while ago, someone else on the forum was planning to live in Lichfield and use Lichfield Parkway station to commute to a job in London, which gives you an idea of the accessibility of London from Staffordshire.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies and suggestions BritinParis and Editha. I will check out both Sheffield and Lichfield. I went to university in Stoke on Trent and have no desire to go back there but the surrounding countryside is lovely and I agree with it being within a decent travel time.
Out of curiosity Editha, where in Canada were you and how do you find being back in the UK?
Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2015, 2:16 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Edmonton for eight years. Although I made a few friends there, I didn't like the city or the climate and I'm glad to be back.

Before we went to Canada, we lived outside Stoke-on-Trent, near Leek. I rather like Stoke, though I admit I chose to live outside the city. I still have friends in the area. Newcastle under Lyme is an OK place to live and there is the North Staffs Hospital. Lichfield is a lovely, underrated city. I'd look at Stafford too and Cannock.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Chester is a wonderful area to raise a family. An average of 2 hours 10 minutes by train to London Euston.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Sheffield is a bit far -- I don't think you can do it in less than 3 hours.
Possibly a bit most optimistic by car - more like 2.5-3 hours depending on where the OP's parents are based in north London - but it's only two hours by train from Sheffield to St Pancras.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Grantham, Lincolnshire for 45 years. Train to Kings Cross takes just over the hour, local hospital in town, plus Lincoln, Nottingham, Leicester and Peterborough within 40 minutes drive. Beautiful country in the Belvoir valley, houses reasonable prices, most schools OK - couple of iffy ones but easily identifiable! About 300 people per day commute to London and loads more commute to Peterborough or Nottingham.In the eveninig I could drive from Grantham to Bank , in the City within 2 hours. Heathrow 2/3 hours, East midlands 45 minutes.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Leicestershire has some great countryside and some of it is fairly cheap to live / buy / rent. It is only an hour from Leicester to London - I commuted it for a while.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all your replies and great suggestions. I have never been to Grantham but recently met someone who lives there so it was on my radar. I will check it and all the other great suggestions out. We won't be buying as we are not sure if the move is temporary or permanent at this stage. The place that I really like the sound of is Buxton but it is too far from London at this stage. Another question as I didn't get a straight answer from the real estate agents I asked, when renting do you have to provide your own dishwasher, washing machine etc, or do they generally come with the house? Thanks everyone for your help. p.s. it's currently -10C (at 6am). Brrr!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:00 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Another question as I didn't get a straight answer from the real estate agents I asked, when renting do you have to provide your own dishwasher, washing machine etc, or do they generally come with the house?
If you are renting, it can be either. In my experience most rentals will include the cooker, but not necessarily the washing machine or fridge. You will be lucky to find a rental with a dishwasher -- this is Britain!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:03 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

If you like Buxton, check out Leek. It doesn't have a railway station, but it is a quick run down to Stoke station.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Only trouble with working in London and commuting to the northern parts is that you won't get home until 8 or 9 at night and will have to leave about 6 in the morning.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Great, thanks everyone. Yes, Editha I had thought of Leek. Will check it out too. True Windsong, however my need to be within a couple of hours from London is just to be closer to my parents who are in their 80's. Thankfully I have no plans to commute for work! Interesting point about the dishwasher thing Editha. Hadn't thought of that. Not a biggie, although the washing machine and fridge are. I'm sure we can make it work though.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The world is your oyster really - there are nice places in East Anglia - Ipswich, Norwich and Cambridge all have big hospitals and there are loads of commutable villages around - some more expensive than others of course!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.