Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed - Moving to Kent

Advice Needed - Moving to Kent

Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

tropicsdiver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Needed - Moving to Kent

Yes, up the Sturry road! Thats always been my beef with the UK. You can buy a 1mil GBP house in a semi rural village/town and have it ruined by chavs that live less than a stones throw away.

I grew up in Maidstone and was 'borderline' for Grammar school. My teachers persuaded my parents that I would be better off being the top of my school than the bottom of the heap at Grammar. I was 13 years old and not mature enough to focus on schoolwork, and instead fell in with the wrong crowd at my awful comprehensive and barely scraped through GCSE's. I regret not going to uni, so my wife and I are keen not to repeat my mistakes with our kids
Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tropicsdiver
Yes, up the Sturry road! Thats always been my beef with the UK. You can buy a 1mil GBP house in a semi rural village/town and have it ruined by chavs that live less than a stones throw away.

I grew up in Maidstone and was 'borderline' for Grammar school. My teachers persuaded my parents that I would be better off being the top of my school than the bottom of the heap at Grammar. I was 13 years old and not mature enough to focus on schoolwork, and instead fell in with the wrong crowd at my awful comprehensive and barely scraped through GCSE's. I regret not going to uni, so my wife and I are keen not to repeat my mistakes with our kids
Am always conscious when posting on here recommending towns and areas in towns, that there is no real chance of this chav ruination. Of course, chavs can be more of an issue for minorities and older folk. As you have alluded to, one also needs to steer well clear of pubs and the spill-outs after excessive drinking.

In Lower Chantry Lane you would have been in the teeth of those students from Christ Church heading back to their digs etc. near Sturry, of a Friday/Saturday night.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 17th 2013 at 2:20 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

confused78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I have nothing to add to this thread. I was born in Canterbury & grew up there & just like reading about where I grew up. I am in a small town in Far North Queensland, thousands of miles away & miss it