Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Advice on moving back to the UK!

Advice on moving back to the UK!

Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Cilllah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on moving back to the UK!

Hi! I'm new here. Decided to make an account here because this forum tends to me much friendlier and happier with the UK than another forum!

So I am 23 and I have been with my 25 year old partner for five years. We get married in three months (SCARY) He is English and I am Aussie. We lived in England for a year and only moved back here due to financial reasons.

Now we are in a better situation than we have ever been together here.. But I pine for England. I find it a much better quality of life. I don't care about rain, or the cold or the houses are smaller. That is all superficial to me. I just love the culture and everything that the UK has to offer.

We want to move back. I look at houses all of the time. Sometimes OH job hunts. He has a decent job here so I think as long as he got a job there above 18600 we could apply and move?

Anyway our two or three goals to achieve before we move are.. Him getting his citizenship in two years, I will probably go to Uni if he gets a new job he is applying for as we will be able to afford it and finally having a baby here with my family.

Now here is my drama. The ONLY downside and thing keeping me here and not England is my family. I feel bad about having a grandchild and them not seeing it. OH doesn't have much family in the UK. So it will just be us. I've been told not to stay somewhere just for family as they might move anyway and then you've wasted your life but IDK. What would you do?
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on moving back to the UK!

Originally Posted by Cilllah
Now here is my drama. The ONLY downside and thing keeping me here and not England is my family. I feel bad about having a grandchild and them not seeing it. OH doesn't have much family in the UK. So it will just be us. I've been told not to stay somewhere just for family as they might move anyway and then you've wasted your life but IDK. What would you do?
I can't help with the rest but I can help with this part. In my case I am the grandchild whos grandparents live abroad. And I have plans to move to their country when i'm 18.

What others have said is true, don't stay because of your family. If you want to go and the UK is your "happy place" then go.

IfI stay in Canada because my family wants me to (and believe me they do. They are still in a stage where they refuse to accept that I will move abroad ) i'll be miserable and I know it.

I have a great relationship with my grandparents through Skype, FaceTime, emails, and I try to visit home (their country;Malta) as often as I can.

If you help kindle the relationship the kids will know their grandparents through the internet, and if you supplement that with frequent visits to Australia and grandparents frequent visits to the UK then they'll know them just as well and their time with them will be more special...

Don't feel guilty about "taking your grandchildren away" from their grandparents. The grandparents are welcome to visit you and the grandkids in the UK and you are welcome to visit them in Australia.

I have just as good of a relationship with my grandparents that live abroad that I do with my other set of grandparents that I see practically every day and live 8 doors down from me!

Welcome to BE
It truly is a great community, this. You'll find lots of people on here who are in a similar situation to you and more than happy to help out
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to be in UK and can get a visa (if you have a UK grandparent then an Ancestry visa may be easier than a spouse visa) then go - it's your life. Your kids will cope with not having grandparents on tap (in fact they probably won't even notice) but you will have to be selfish and self sufficient! Once you have kids it's harder to move away I reckon because then the emotional blackmail will start. If you go before kids they sort of get used to it!

Hate to break it to you but Citizenship in Aus is now 4 yrs residence, not 2, hope that doesn't interfere with your plans.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies. I think we will go back. Which makes it hard because we are making a life for ourselves here and will still be here for a few more years to come and I feel like what's the point? Why buy more things for the house etc?

Anyway thanks for letting me know that it is four years now! We will still be here then so it doesn't affect us

Just wanted to say I don't have a UK grandparent but I have French grandparents and my mother is a French citizen. Australian born though sadly. That wouldn't help would it?

Last edited by Cilllah; Jul 20th 2014 at 7:09 am.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe...

FRENCH CITIZENSHIP | European Citizenship & Immigration

The Franco-American Flophouse: The Path to French Citizenship: Certificate of French Nationality

Immigration & Visa Law in France - Information on Immigration & Visa's in France
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cilllah

Just wanted to say I don't have a UK grandparent but I have French grandparents and my mother is a French citizen. Australian born though sadly. That wouldn't help would it?
It might. Pop on over to the France forum (here within BE) and ask. There will be a few who know about the process
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

I did! Thank you!