Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

82 year old refused housing.

82 year old refused housing.

Old Aug 28th 2017, 6:10 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default 82 year old refused housing.

British expat who returned to UK from Spain found HOMELESS and starving after council refused to house him | Olive Press News Spain
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 82 year old refused housing.

There are big chunks of information missing from this.

To send him a letter, he had to have an address (even if a temporary one)- so what happened to that.
If he has only lived in Spain for 2 years, where was he living before that?
What happened to his accommodation and possessions in Spain?
Did he just up and leave everything?

How did he manage to get back to UK?

Too many gaps to make it a story with any substance.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:53 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree. The story was also in the Sun, which added the detail that he gave up a council flat to go to Spain. He has returned because of relationship breakdown, so presumably he had been living with his partner in Spain. All sorts of things can happen to the belongings of someone who is homeless, none of them good. Given his age, he presumably has a state pension, which paid for his flight from Spain.

The story seems to have quite a lot of substance to me.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't agree. The story was also in the Sun, which added the detail that he gave up a council flat to go to Spain. He has returned because of relationship breakdown, so presumably he had been living with his partner in Spain. All sorts of things can happen to the belongings of someone who is homeless, none of them good. Given his age, he presumably has a state pension, which paid for his flight from Spain.

The story seems to have quite a lot of substance to me.
I don't know the particulars but the story seems quite believable. The Habitual Residence Test is quite focused on the 90 day rule which inhibit flexibility of the council. Though I wonder why after 90 days in the UK he wouldn't get benefits. I wonder if the 90 day rule applies to refugees.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the 90 day rule applies to refugees.
I think they go into B&Bs, pending...
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:18 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by morpeth
I don't know the particulars but the story seems quite believable. The Habitual Residence Test is quite focused on the 90 day rule which inhibit flexibility of the council. Though I wonder why after 90 days in the UK he wouldn't get benefits. I wonder if the 90 day rule applies to refugees.
Asylum seekers are neither allowed to claim benefits nor work. If they are destitute they receive asylum support of around £5.28 a day.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:22 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I think they go into B&Bs, pending...
https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...blished-16-17/
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

So they're not left on the streets then.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The 90 day rule is different to the rules for public housing. The 90 day applies to benefits. However, a council can (and from my personal experience) do apply a period of up to two years living in the council area to even get on the list for housing.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 2:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Not at that point, no. However, if granted refugee status, they have 28 days to find a job or claim benefits and find accommodation, after which asylum support stops. A high proportion become homeless at that stage.

Last edited by Editha; Aug 28th 2017 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

The world is a strange place. British citizens refused a place to stay and "asylum seekers" given a place to stay.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Editha
Asylum seekers are neither allowed to claim benefits nor work. If they are destitute they receive asylum support of around £5.28 a day.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...t-payments-cut

I don't know all the particulars, but the story of the 82 old man shows how strange government priorities are. There should be this level of discussion care for people like him. Especially considering how well-paid many council managers are often paid, maybe they could help support such people better themselves !
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
The world is a strange place. British citizens refused a place to stay and "asylum seekers" given a place to stay.
Habitual Residency Test - introduced in 1994 to prevent "benefit tourism" (including housing as well as state benefits) but was very quickly found to result in more refusals for Brits returning to the UK than for other nationalities. It had the opposite effect to that intended.

Nobody in power cared, though, because it was only affecting low income people and as we all know they deserve less assistance than the well off.

I wonder which government was responsible.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Habitual Residency Test applies to benefits from DWP. Housing is a different matter and currently Housing Legislation gives more decision making to the landlords (Council housing department or housing association) to determine the rules. I know of areas in Scotland where there is no need for a local connection and where there is a surplus of housing.

In the field of Housing Legislation., as in the field of Welfare Benefits, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Habitual Residency Test applies to benefits from DWP. Housing is a different matter....

In the field of Housing Legislation., as in the field of Welfare Benefits, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
I agree a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing but Housing certainly does take into account habitual residency.

It's how the thread began.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.