Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

73 years old - conditions for returning to UK

73 years old - conditions for returning to UK

Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

WildRoses is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 73 years old - conditions for returning to UK

I would like to be able to read what the situation would be for an elderly person returning/going to the UK after living and working abroad for most of their life. Worked in the UK for approximately 2 years, in the early 1960s. UK born, of British born parents, grandparents and so on back.

Could someone point me in the right direction for this? To find out the rules and regulations for an elderly person.

Thank you in anticipation.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 73 years old - conditions for returning to UK

If you were born in the UK prior to 1982 and your parents were British then you are a British citizen and the only thing you need to return to live in the UK is a British passport. End of story - there are NO other rules, regulations or requirements.

If you have a spouse (who is not a British citizen) who you want to take with you then things can get more complicated and expensive.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 9th 2017 at 6:34 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The OP may be looking for things like pension or housing information, etc. Which I don't have but more knowledgeable people do.

Also info on filing taxes in both the US and the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WildRoses
I would like to be able to read what the situation would be for an elderly person returning/going to the UK after living and working abroad for most of their life. Worked in the UK for approximately 2 years, in the early 1960s. UK born, of British born parents, grandparents and so on back.

Could someone point me in the right direction for this? To find out the rules and regulations for an elderly person.

You will need to get a British passport first in order to travel back to the country and getting access to services in the UK. Please use the link below to apply if you don't have a valid British passport -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Have you think of where do you want to live in the UK?

With only 2 years worth of NI contribution, I don't think you will get much UK state pension. Have a look at the link below for some basic information on UK state pension.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension

You may want to get your own UK state pension forecast using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
Old Aug 9th 2017, 7:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
..... With only 2 years worth of NI contribution, I don't think you will get much UK state pension. Have a look at the link below for some basic information on UK state pension.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension

You may want to get your own UK state pension forecast using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
With only two years of contributions she won't get anything. In any case at the age of 73 she should have been claiming her pension from age 65, or younger (I don't recall when the retirement age was harmonized). She may be eligible to means-tested income support once she is settled in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 9th 2017 at 7:18 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

WildRoses is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I had worked in the U.K. for a few more years than Wildroses when I returned in 2014 but I did not expect much of a pension. I contacted DWP and they were very helpful and I do get a small pension plus I got the back pay, which was a lovely surprise! It is worth contacting them and filing out their form.

If you have any family members here, it will be easier to return even if you only want support on a temporary basis.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

There is also pension credit which is for people older than State pension age with very low incomes and assets.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...Pension-Credit
Old Aug 13th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Other factors which may affect the OP's UK state pension entitlement -

1) Did she pay the 'small stamp' (reduced NI rate for married women) when she worked in the UK in the 1960s.

2) The OP may be able to 'top up' her UK state pension entitlement if she is married to someone who paid NI contributions in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3
.... 2) The OP may be able to 'top up' her UK state pension entitlement if she is married to someone who paid NI contributions in the UK.
I don't think you can make any additional contributions after retirement age, and per the thread title, she is already 73.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Emily_simpson873 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the elderly woman have any savings at all?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WildRoses
Assuming, as seems likely, she is receiving US social security payments for old age she can continue to receive them provided she is either:
1. A US citizen, no matter where resident
or
2. A UK citizen and a UK resident.

This applies even if the social security payments are based on the contributions of a former husband (deceased or divorced after 10+ years of marriage).
This does not apply to all (most?) countries but it does apply to the UK.

Last edited by holly_1948; Aug 31st 2017 at 10:19 am.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you were born in the UK prior to 1982 and your parents were British then you are a British citizen and the only thing you need to return to live in the UK is a British passport.
Just a clarification. I believe prior to 1983, birth in the UK alone was sufficient to have automatic UK citizenship status, irrespective of parents' status.

Last edited by Richard8655; Sep 14th 2017 at 7:51 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Housing may be available in some places !
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Just a clarification. I believe prior to 1983, birth in the UK alone was sufficient to have automatic UK citizenship status, irrespective of parents' status.
You are correct. I confused two thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.