Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

7 months pregnant, denined benefits!!!!!!

7 months pregnant, denined benefits!!!!!!

Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 months pregnant, denined benefits!!!!!!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
7 months pregnant at the time of posting but the original post said been back about 12 weeks. (I missed it originally too) So only 4 months or so. ....
Sorry I wasn't clearer, I meant arrive figuratively at this point in time, not arrive physically in the UK.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

If this is a real post and not something to get people fighting each other regarding benefits etc. then I don't understand why you went back to UK at all (pregnant or not) If, as you say you have no-one there, where did you find accommodation upon arriving back in UK if you have no job or family?

I don't think this is a legitimate post, none of it makes sense and as Judge Judy often says, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true" ( I looooove Judge Judy )
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:25 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I don't think this is a legitimate post, none of it makes sense and as Judge Judy often says, "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true" ( I looooove Judge Judy )
Yes and yes.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The first post said they were dead.
I was responding to the post by englishguygoinghome which referred to his expectations regarding his child.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
I understand the emotion behind it, of course, but contributions are not held in trust, either for you or your dependants. What one pays in contributions now are used more or less now to fund government commitments, it's not as if you're storing money up for the future and it wouldn't be practicable for the system to work in such a way.
I understand the principle (and in the case of pensions strongly disagree with it but that's another matter). My view, however, is that if I am expected to pay for others now I expect others to pay for me and my loved one's later. Otherwise I would feel cheated.

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's a bit like car insurance - if you stop paying and have an accident the next day, you can't claim (not exactly the same, but at least somewhat analogous).
Not quite - Car Insurance is a risk based insurance. At least some benefits could be considered to be more accurately modelled by capital based insurance schemes. Particularly once restrictions are put in place based upon contributions, presence in country etc.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's very unreasonable. Your contributions were used to fund current needs in the country, not stored for you/offspring in the future.

Quite ridiculous.
Then I want to stop paying and I'll look after my own. I think it is ridiculous to say that my benefits contributions will cover someone whose only link to the country is that they have been here for 6 months and not someone who grew up here for 18 years, whose family have been here possibly for generations and who left temporarily but now needs to come back.

Why should we say to our citizens - "if you leave you forfeit the safety net immediately, even though you've been paying for it for years and never used it to date"

Actually - I spotted in the regulations that people who were previously habitually resident should be able to become habitually resident again immediately on return.
There may be special cases where a person who has previously been habitually resident in the UK resumes that habitual residence immediately when he returns to the UK following a period living abroad1. The only element of habitual residence that is bypassed by a returning former resident is the need to be resident in the UK for an appreciable period.
Now that - finally - makes sense but seems to be ignored by / unknown to those applying the test to ex-expats
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's very unreasonable. Your contributions were used to fund current needs in the country, not stored for you/offspring in the future.

Quite ridiculous.
I know it's just Labour trying to find a chink in the armour of the Tories prior to the next election but this is from Labour recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22056212
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I know it's just Labour trying to find a chink in the armour of the Tories prior to the next election but this is from Labour recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22056212
Eeverybody thinks they are the only one shoring up the system, but I think they'd get a real shock if they had to pay the full cost of healthcare and services used.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome

Actually - I spotted in the regulations that people who were previously habitually resident should be able to become habitually resident again immediately on return.

Now that - finally - makes sense but seems to be ignored by / unknown to those applying the test to ex-expats
Just to pick up on this point (as someone who made HRT Benefit decisions for nearly 10 years) note that it refers to special cases - that is cases outside the norm of the Brit returning.

I was glad you reproduced it, though, because of the rest of it.

The only element of habitual residence that is bypassed by a returning former resident is the need to be resident in the UK for an appreciable period.
I have constantly argued on this forum when people have been denied benefits for HRT reasons that no "qualifying period" need be applied and this part proves it.

Of course, it also says the only part that may be bypassed is the period of actual residence after return. This does mean that all the other facts should still be considered.

And in a case like that of the OP - true or not, such cases do exist - it would be very easy for DWP to say She is married with a husband in Jordan from whom she is not estranged. He remains in Jordan, where the marital home is as well as his employment. He's the father of her expected child

Home, income, family....all in Jordan. In the absence of anything to the contrary, that's where her centre of interest is. "Centre of interest" is a major consideration in HRT matters.

Just thought I'd throw that in as genuine cases do surface on this forum.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just to pick up on this point (as someone who made HRT Benefit decisions for nearly 10 years) note that it refers to special cases - that is cases outside the norm of the Brit returning.

I have constantly argued on this forum when people have been denied benefits for HRT reasons that no "qualifying period" need be applied and this part proves it.

Of course, it also says the only part that may be bypassed is the period of actual residence after return. This does mean that all the other facts should still be considered.

And in a case like that of the OP - true or not, such cases do exist - it would be very easy for DWP to say She is married with a husband in Jordan from whom she is not estranged. He remains in Jordan, where the marital home is as well as his employment. He's the father of her expected child

Home, income, family....all in Jordan. In the absence of anything to the contrary, that's where her centre of interest is. "Centre of interest" is a major consideration in HRT matters.

Thanks for that - as yet there is nothing to say that the OP is anything other than genuine. We have had a few similar cases in the past, so c'mon people lets give her the benefit of the doubt and be a bit supportive
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, at last a reasoned argument. So, effectively, advice to "wait 6 months" and then you will pass the test is probably incorrect but prgamatic (I guess many officers incorrectly turn these cases down based on period of current residence and pass them later )

The OPs only choice to remain in the UK and get assistance would be to bring her husband over here so there was an extra mouth to feed instead of someone earning something in Jordan and maybe sending some financial support to her (ah, but she can't under the new visa rules). Or formally separate from her husband, which would prove to the DWP agent that she had broken ties elsewhere and was intending to remain with the as her center of interest while pointing out the above special case exception.

Hmm - not sure I approve of the way our system is set up. It seems to allow plenty of cases I believe are wrong and deny many I believe are just.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Her problem seems to be that she has returned to the UK, leaving her husband and home in Jordan, this would be seen by the vast majority of people as Health tourism, in other words she has returned to have the baby and is not intending to make her home here, this is where the qualifying period will kick in, the UK government is certainly being very proactive in cases where health tourism is suspected, and IMO, rightly so. To get benefits etc she will have to prove to the authorities that she isn't a health tourist, and that means having substantial ties to the UK, not to Jordan.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, at last a reasoned argument. So, effectively, advice to "wait 6 months" and then you will pass the test is probably incorrect but prgamatic (I guess many officers incorrectly turn these cases down based on period of current residence and pass them later )

The OPs only choice to remain in the UK and get assistance would be to bring her husband over here so there was an extra mouth to feed instead of someone earning something in Jordan and maybe sending some financial support to her (ah, but she can't under the new visa rules). Or formally separate from her husband, which would prove to the DWP agent that she had broken ties elsewhere and was intending to remain with the as her center of interest while pointing out the above special case exception.

Hmm - not sure I approve of the way our system is set up. It seems to allow plenty of cases I believe are wrong and deny many I believe are just.
And it will ever be that way - there will always be cases we see as being undeserving, or deserving but not getting, no matter what system is in place. If we become more lenient, we give more to those who deserve, but also to those who probably don't deserve (or deserve less). If we tighten things up, the opposite happens.

As a long-time consistent contributor and minimal withdraw-er, I find there is too great a sense of entitlement in the UK these days. Even common sense ideas like getting long-term unemployed to do something to earn their benefits is flamed by bleeding heart liberals or labelled as some sort of political tool or breach of their human rights.

One of the injustices that really sticks in my craw is that if I financially conservative (save instead of splash out) at some point I'll be made to pay for it via some means-tested reduction in some form of state entitlement.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Her problem seems to be that she has returned to the UK, leaving her husband and home in Jordan, this would be seen by the vast majority of people as Health tourism, in other words she has returned to have the baby and is not intending to make her home here, this is where the qualifying period will kick in, the UK government is certainly being very proactive in cases where health tourism is suspected, and IMO, rightly so. To get benefits etc she will have to prove to the authorities that she isn't a health tourist, and that means having substantial ties to the UK, not to Jordan.
I agree that it has that appearance. Otoh, the new visa regulations for non-EU spouses put the OP in a pretty impossible position if she genuinely does want to live in the UK with her family: she's 7 months pregnant making it unlikely she will be employed let alone get a job paying enough to meet the income requirements, and any income that her husband earns cannot be taken into account. It's a real catch 22.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So, effectively, advice to "wait 6 months" and then you will pass the test is probably incorrect but pragamatic (I guess many officers incorrectly turn these cases down based on period of current residence and pass them later )
'fraid so. Unless challenged. Too many just respond with "but I'm British" and get nowhere.

The odd thing is that when people look to move to whatever country they head for, these forums show loads of research and preparation.

Obviously there's much less of a need for researching the UK when returning - depending on how long one was away - but there is still a fair bit of preparation involved and it's quite remarkable how little of that is presented at the time of a benefits application.

There are exceptions of course but that preparation for return is going to make a big difference in resuming residency immediately upon return being accepted.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:19 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks for that - as yet there is nothing to say that the OP is anything other than genuine. We have had a few similar cases in the past, so c'mon people lets give her the benefit of the doubt and be a bit supportive
I agree, and she probably didn't post back because some of you guys have been so awful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.