Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

6 months of ready cash for immigration to UK?

6 months of ready cash for immigration to UK?

Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

CaptainPea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months of ready cash for immigration to UK?

I am returning to the UK with my US wife. We wish to use the £62,500 in funds to satisfy the financial requirement but are a bit confused about the "held for 6 months" rule. Can I sell shares that I have held for many years and transfer the cash proceeds into a current account and it be acceptable immediately? Or must I then wait 6 months for the money to sit there until we apply?

Thank you,
Richard.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months of ready cash for immigration to UK?

If you have held the shares under your control for 6 months or more, prior to your application, then, when you liquidate them, they will be immediately available for your application.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

CAUSUK1996 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have to liquidate?
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAUSUK1996
Yes, the cash must be immediately available.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.

Richard.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAUSUK1996
Yes, any investments not immediately available for use and/or has fluctuations associated with it (shares come to mind) must be liquidated.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

And I'm assuming that is the same for real estate - as long as I've owned it for 6 months prior to the sale and the proceeds are now in a bank account it'll be OK?

Richard.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CaptainPea
And I'm assuming that is the same for real estate - as long as I've owned it for 6 months prior to the sale and the proceeds are now in a bank account it'll be OK?

Richard.
Yes.